Request: Secrets and metaplot

Staffan

Request: Secrets and metaplot

Postby Staffan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm generally not a big fan of metaplot, but TORG is one of the few places where I'm OK with it given that it's a setting based around a war (albeit an odd one). And I get that the designers can't tell us where the metaplot is going.

But I hope that they can at least tell us which of the setting elements they intend to involve in the metaplot, and which we as GMs can have free reign with without risking butting up against future metaplot. The Secrets chapter has plenty of plot stuff - what's behind the "new ancient ruins"? What is the Gaunt Man funneling excess possibilities into? What's Jezrael going to do in Tharkold? What will the fallout be behind the elf secret? And so on. It's clear that some of these ideas are intended as fodder for future adventures and metaplot developments, but it would be nice to know which ones so one can steer clear of those.

TorgHacker

Re: Request: Secrets and metaplot

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 pm

The plan is to set aside an area in each realm where we're not going to mess with it. Or at least we don't plan to.

The Northern Living Land is that area for that reality, and its highlighted in the Cosm book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

TorgHacker wrote:The plan is to set aside an area in each realm where we're not going to mess with it. Or at least we don't plan to.

The Northern Living Land is that area for that reality, and its highlighted in the Cosm book.

Nice. Sometimes games with metaplot get so wrapped up in said metaplot that they don't take into account that sometimes players (and GMs) just want to go off in their own direction. This sounds like a good way to do both.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 pm

TorgHacker wrote:The plan is to set aside an area in each realm where we're not going to mess with it. Or at least we don't plan to.

So, in the Cyberpapacy, that'd be Spain, right?

(Because no one expects you to mess with the Spanish inquisition!)

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:47 pm

<cheers> If you can reveal any more of those ahead of the cosm book's that would be useful. It's good to have areas where we can go absolutely crazy and not worry about conflicting with future canon. Especially useful would be to know what areas of Core Earth are safe from invasion in the foreseeable future so that people can create their own invading cosms and start dropping some maelstrom bridges in those places without worrying about conflicts. I would expect and be fine with a standard disclaimer.."but we might change our minds"
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Wakshani wrote:

So, in the Cyberpapacy, that'd be Spain, right?

(Because no one expects you to mess with the Spanish inquisition!)

<GROAN>

But maybe that might work. :-)

Probably not all of Spain though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Gargoyle wrote:

<cheers> If you can reveal any more of those ahead of the cosm book's that would be useful. It's good to have areas where we can go absolutely crazy and not worry about conflicting with future canon. Especially useful would be to know what areas of Core Earth are safe from invasion in the foreseeable future so that people can create their own invading cosms and start dropping some maelstrom bridges in those places without worrying about conflicts. I would expect and be fine with a standard disclaimer.."but we might change our minds"

Still, changing our minds would likely cause a lot of...heartache. :-)

In fact, today I think we decided to invade a location we weren't planning on because of [[redacted]].

Main problem with saying things early is that we haven't developed most of the books yet. I know where I picked for the Nile Empire, but it's somewhere that is beyond the current borders, so ... spoilers. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:58 am

It's Texas. We all know it's Texas. :)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:17 am

I think Sydney Australia would make a great second home for Möbius. With all the invasion that have happened, Brazil and Australia are poised to be the next Superpowers. Australians start causing problems, Möbius develops an interest in Opera.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:

Still, changing our minds would likely cause a lot of...heartache. :-)

In fact, today I think we decided to invade a location we weren't planning on because of [[redacted]].

Main problem with saying things early is that we haven't developed most of the books yet. I know where I picked for the Nile Empire, but it's somewhere that is beyond the current borders, so ... spoilers. :-)

Yep, understood, it's early and not fun for you guys if you want to change your mind...regardless of disclaimers, the fandom wouldn't be happy. Hopefully once things are firmed up though, it could be possible to reveal more of what will be left relatively untouched.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”