The Destiny Map (Conversion)

Farast

The Destiny Map (Conversion)

Postby Farast » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 am

Since fougerec is trying to get his thread back onto track I figured I would help him out by starting a new thread on the conversion for this. Since I never played original Torg I would be interested to hear peoples suggestions for how to run this and what things might need to be changed.

So far I have only looked through the first couple of acts and I can already see that there are a lot of really cool props that will need a rewrite in order to work. For example the newspaper page will need a change of setting and a new second story (I am thinking one on the attack on the President in Dallas as mentioned by NearNowNews (most of the way down the page)).

However I have no idea about how to go about making that sort of thing. Suggestions?

Also in terms of location for the first act as much as I am sure that TorgHacker would prefer that we put it in Canada. There really is an obvious place to put an investigation into genealogy. That is of course Salt Lake City as the Mormons have some of the best supercomputers in the world so that they can track down all their ancestors to baptise (Family History Library).

PrinceEarwig

Re: The Destiny Map (Conversion)

Postby PrinceEarwig » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:39 am

I'm still setting my first act in Atlanta, albeit somewhat more to the west in some of the suburbs.
As a result the "president wells assassin" article is being replaced by a light propaganda piece highlighting the National guard efforts continuing to stave off the Lizards advance and refugee rescue attempts etc.
IIRC The Atlanta bridge came down on day 19, so there has been enough time to "normalise" the situation. Curfews, national guard check points, refugee's but not so many that the roads are gridlocked.
I like the idea of the tension generated by being that close to the storm front. The first scenario is then setting the scene that this "IS" an invasion situation.
It also gives a number of plausible premises for the "foreign corporate takeover" of local businesses such as Magnolia Station. Property prices and business rates are plummeting due to the perceived imminent threat of total loss of investment. So people are taking the opportunity to get what they can while they can.

I've removed the obvious "K" for Kappa element from the Magnolia park situation. I think that a shadow corporation would be a little less blatant if they are trying to keep a low profile. So Lamba (Λ) is used instead. Most of my players are fans of Half Life so that will carry enough suspicion in and of itself and will be a regular corporate front for activities for some time into the campaign.
I also love the fact that at any moment the Knights could look to the east and see the dark clouds of the storm front and rising behind it, disappearing into the rift in the sky, the Living Land maelstrom bridge. It's too iconic a backdrop to pass up for a debut scenario.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:15 am

Other ideas for scene setting and flavour at the early stages of the scenario, assuming the close proximity to the storm front.
The reality border is not a hard border. Sure there are almost certainly aggressive reality storms battering the crossing but that doesn't mean that things can't slip through.
So, especially when close to the border itself, drop a few incongruous details into the narrative to emphasize the situation.
What the Knights first thought was a crow roosting on the telephone line overhead actually turns out to be a small flying reptile. Perhaps some unusual weeds poking up between a crack in the tarmac grew from spores borne out of the invasion zone. A distinct absence of stray dogs or cats, they may have just fled the area as any sensible creature would or it may be that a few raptors have been culling the local population.
The Living Land world laws are not in effect here, but there is a place where they are and it is not very far away.
Remember Core Earth is predominantly "dominant" so physical transformation is going to take longer. That is assuming that the dino or the plant aren't acceptable in CE axioms.

Then we can assume that a certain number of people are crossing back and forth. Not just player character Storm Knighs, but others as well. These might be brave military or law enforcement personnel, opportunistic glory seekers, criminal types looking for a quick score. Cross pollination (metaphorical not neccessarilly literal) will occur when this close to a border.
The Atlanta region is a pure zone, so less opportunity exists for Ords to be responsible for this cross contamination but in other areas (dominant and mized zones) it would occur with more frequency.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 am

I have Act 1 and Act 2 conversion notes done for my game. I'm not changing much really. The newspaper story for sure, some added description because the location of the
► Show Spoiler
is very close to the Living Land (like just over 1km on Gargoyle's map).

One of the stumbling blocks is in Act 2
► Show Spoiler

Through Act 1 and 2 the primary thrust of my notes is simply altering stats on NPCs and changing some reasoning for actions, particularly with the police in Act 1 Scene 2. I'm going to
► Show Spoiler

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am

fougerec wrote:I have Act 1 and Act 2 conversion notes done for my game. I'm not changing much really. The newspaper story for sure, some added description because the location of the
► Show Spoiler
is very close to the Living Land (like just over 1km on Gargoyle's map).

Looks like you're using version 1.0.
► Show Spoiler
This is because the twitter feed, and later the PDF, gave me a clearer idea of where the stelae were and I moved it. Latest version is listed in the thread at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=826 But remember the stelae locations are approximate, and you can change them if you want.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Gargoyle on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:52 am

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Pierre hiding out in a run down apartment in the Living Land. I mean he's a Stormer so why not take advantage of that.

Also, it allows me to introduce my players (who are all new) to another realm early on. So they follow the clues only to find that the location they're looking for is now inside the borders of the Living Land.

Similar to how the new boundaries push elements of later acts into Orrorsh temporarily.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm

fougerec wrote:The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Pierre hiding out in a run down apartment in the Living Land. I mean he's a Stormer so why not take advantage of that.

Also, it allows me to introduce my players (who are all new) to another realm early on. So they follow the clues only to find that the location they're looking for is now inside the borders of the Living Land.

Similar to how the new boundaries push elements of later acts into Orrorsh temporarily.

I think he'd be very
► Show Spoiler
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 pm

My favorite part of the first act is how it started off so mundane. You investigate these murders. Your own opposition right now are cops who don't want civilians (or extra-jurisdiction agents) messing with their stuff. It looks like a typical murder, but you find these funky throwing stars.

But then you go to this apartment building, and it seems normal enough. Suddenly you get this high-tech guy blasting away and jumping out the window. This was my first game I ran for Torg. The players were not mundane obviously, but the grand story had not unfolded yet, so it seemed fairly normal. If you start in the Living Land, then it doesn't start off as mundane. But your group is already extraordinary, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If I recall, Atlanta is not at all important here. Surely this can be placed in Birmingham or Kansas City or Des Moines, right? Just need to be a little close to the Living Land?
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Kuildeous wrote:But then you go to this apartment building, and it seems normal enough. Suddenly you get this high-tech guy blasting away and jumping out the window. This was my first game I ran for Torg. The players were not mundane obviously, but the grand story had not unfolded yet, so it seemed fairly normal. If you start in the Living Land, then it doesn't start off as mundane. But your group is already extraordinary, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

That's true and I guess part of may come down to whether or not I'm running this as a first/intro adventure in which case the slower reveal of the oddness is a good thing or whether I'm intending to run it as a later adventure in which case jumping right into the weirdness is fine.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board and make sure to take into account running this as a starting adventure (since for most of us that's what the original was). I figure the easiest way to do so is to make a notes document of changes - locations, NPCs, new scenes (like the trip down the river in Orrorsh). Once it's done I'll toss it up on a google drive and share it (assuming that's okay).

Currently I'm thinking
Act 1 - Using Nashville instead of Atlanta. No real reason other than it's the name that jumped out at me on the map first.
Act 2 - There's apparently several high tech companies in Nashville, easy enough to have a Pan Pacifica hard point there.
Act 3 - Keep the location the same.
Act 4 - Major change in Scene 1 - up the Padma river to Tezpur though an Orrorsh dominant zone. Since the whole adventure would be set in Orrorsh the temple could be a hardpoint.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”