The Destiny Map (Conversion)

fougerec

Re: The Destiny Map (Conversion)

Postby fougerec » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:40 pm

This is the work in progress - Acts 1 and 2 conversion notes.

The Destiny Map Conversion Notes

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:31 am

One of the cool parts of the Magnolia action, as well as the early parts of "Operation: Hard Sell", was the fact that the Knights did not initially know they were not in Core Earth. If the Knights are asked to discard CE cosm cards for PP ones this would give the game away to most of them. What do you think of letting them keep their CE cards, until a CE cosm card is sought to be played in the station and then with an evil laugh having them discard their CE cards to draw PP cards? Even that will instantly give the game away, which is a shame - new players are likely to spend at least a little time wondering what is going on, especially if the Kanawa symbol is effaced from the station.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 am

fougerec wrote:This is the work in progress - Acts 1 and 2 conversion notes.

That all looks fantastic! Look forward to seeing the rest when done. :D

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 am

Kanaris wrote:One of the cool parts of the Magnolia action, as well as the early parts of "Operation: Hard Sell", was the fact that the Knights did not initially know they were not in Core Earth. If the Knights are asked to discard CE cosm cards for PP ones this would give the game away to most of them. What do you think of letting them keep their CE cards, until a CE cosm card is sought to be played in the station and then with an evil laugh having them discard their CE cards to draw PP cards? Even that will instantly give the game away, which is a shame - new players are likely to spend at least a little time wondering what is going on, especially if the Kanawa symbol is effaced from the station.

The transparency in Torg Eternity does make it impossible to hide what realm you're in. I'd personally roll with it and let them know that Magnolia is definitely shady since the axioms change.

If you want to maintain that secrecy still, I suppose you could remove the hardpoint entirely. This means the ord ninja stand a chance of disconnecting and no longer able to use their cool stars, but if they use normal katana, then they are still effective in a fight. It seems reasonable that Kanawa would not want Storm Knights to instantly know that a company belongs to him by detecting the axiom wash.

This does pose a problem for the security robot. Even after a quarter of a century, Tech 23 still won't support that kind of automation. A reality-rated bodyguard in really heavy armor and a heavy weapon could fill in. Just don't ask how much he's getting paid to just stand around when they're not being infiltrated.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 am

Kuildeous wrote:
The transparency in Torg Eternity does make it impossible to hide what realm you're in. I'd personally roll with it and let them know that Magnolia is definitely shady since the axioms change.

If you want to maintain that secrecy still, I suppose you could remove the hardpoint entirely. This means the ord ninja stand a chance of disconnecting and no longer able to use their cool stars, but if they use normal katana, then they are still effective in a fight. It seems reasonable that Kanawa would not want Storm Knights to instantly know that a company belongs to him by detecting the axiom wash.

This does pose a problem for the security robot. Even after a quarter of a century, Tech 23 still won't support that kind of automation. A reality-rated bodyguard in really heavy armor and a heavy weapon could fill in. Just don't ask how much he's getting paid to just stand around when they're not being infiltrated.

I don't think the "secret invasion" of Pan Pacifica meshes well with the idea of the Cosm Cards. Both are cool but on a meta level the players go "wait, if this isn't a realm why are the cards different" so the goal should be to fool the characters not the players. It's a conceit to the game design that the GMs and players are likely better off rolling with.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 am

Ayaron wrote:
fougerec wrote:This is the work in progress - Acts 1 and 2 conversion notes.

That all looks fantastic! Look forward to seeing the rest when done. :D

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so I plan to finish off The Destiny Map and then start in on The Probability Chalice. Going to be running my first game on the 7th so I'll get a chance to try this out, possibly as a prequel to the ongoing game I'm starting when the cargo from the Delphi Council arrives.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 am

I think there is a bit of player knowledge that needs to be kept separate from character knowledge when entering Pan-Pacifica axioms. The Storm Knights might be getting Pan-Pacifica Cosm cards, but the character probably only feels like something is off, and doesn't immediately figure out that they are in a different reality. It may stretch suspension of disbelief and require a bit more skill on the part of the players to role-play, but I think it's worth it. The players still don't know exactly why the axioms are different or who specifically is doing this, so I think it's still intriguing.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 am

Yes, I think separating player and character knowledge is the answer. My players are experienced gamers and Cosm cards are hella cool. Thanks!

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 am

Gargoyle wrote:I think there is a bit of player knowledge that needs to be kept separate from character knowledge when entering Pan-Pacifica axioms. The Storm Knights might be getting Pan-Pacifica Cosm cards, but the character probably only feels like something is off, and doesn't immediately figure out that they are in a different reality. It may stretch suspension of disbelief and require a bit more skill on the part of the players to role-play, but I think it's worth it. The players still don't know exactly why the axioms are different or who specifically is doing this, so I think it's still intriguing.

And even if you extend it to the characters knowing, that doesn't change the grand scheme of things. The general populace doesn't know, and claims of another invasion can be dismissed as being as fanciful as anti-vaxxers or flat-earth supporters. Just look at today's 9/11 truthers and apply that kind of incredulity to people claiming that Japan and China have been invaded. Now, granted, truthers aren't playing Glory cards and literally saving the world.

But also, you know that communications and media are being tampered with by Kanawa. They undoubtedly have excellent spin doctors. Weirdness can be attributed to neighboring Orrorsh and Tharkold.

But yeah, I think Torg requires mature gamers, and that maturity extends to playing dumb where it helps the story.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 am

Kanaris wrote:Yes, I think separating player and character knowledge is the answer. My players are experienced gamers and Cosm cards are hella cool. Thanks!

That's what it comes down to for me. Cosm cards are awesome and I'm gonna use them :) I need to find a way to make some of the other ones work in a hardpoint though.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”