oTorg adventure Before the Dawn - lots of spoilers

Hobbes

oTorg adventure Before the Dawn - lots of spoilers

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 pm

So looking at Before the Dawn it seems fairly usable. "Still Earth" lasts about a week, you need a handwaive plot reason for the Gaunt Man to not be able to use the energy immediately. It's still building, the Earth is still slowing, the energy is taking a long time to absorb, whatever...

The weapons deal with the Edeinos needs to be tweaked as the guns would transform too quickly in eTorg. I'm thinking a special order of reality bombs would do the trick, they're imbued with possibility energy so it's easy to explain them not transforming quickly. Something Mobius put together, just a handful to help take out the Philadelphia Hard point. Strap 'em to a dino stampede or whatever.

The Act structure is off a bit IMO for eTorg, I'm going to cut the first Scene down to just intro Hildy and dive straight into the Incredible Digging Machine. Second Scene is the Edeinos meet and transition to Nile. Third Scene is the Airbase, Scene four the PBY because it's too cool to cut, Scene 5 Gibberfat, Scene 6 Dramatic Scene. Still a little long.

My other option is to fluff it up a bit and split it into Two acts. Keep the first Scene, turn the PBY into a Dramatic Scene. Add some social and investigative stuff to the Ororrish to fluff it up. But that seems like work.

MAJT

Re: oTorg adventure Before the Dawn - lots of spoilers

Postby MAJT » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 pm

I can't help but feel if they'd have wanted the Still Earth they'd have done it. Does it still fit?

But I would like to see an iconic 'starter adventure' for Torg 2. 'Before the Dawn' did such a good job of setting the pulp tone and mood (aside from Gibberfat unfortunately). Most Torg players remember it as it allowed them to be awesome right from the very start, and it's a shared experience like 'Keep on the Borderlands' is for D&D or 'Rise of the Runelords' for Pathfinder.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 pm

MAJT wrote:I can't help but feel if they'd have wanted the Still Earth they'd have done it. Does it still fit?

But I would like to see an iconic 'starter adventure' for Torg 2. 'Before the Dawn' did such a good job of setting the pulp tone and mood (aside from Gibberfat unfortunately). Most Torg players remember it as it allowed them to be awesome right from the very start, and it's a shared experience like 'Keep on the Borderlands' is for D&D or 'Rise of the Runelords' for Pathfinder.

There's a Day 30 adventure coming in the Delphi Missions book that I think will end up being that. It was the Gen Con demo last year, and has been the demo through this year.

But yes, we didn't want the Still World at all.

Well...at least not YET. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Honestly, the Still World was a very net, very - literally - earth-shaking concept, but I kind of hope you guys don't. Especially given the basis that some of the top people have been through this before, there should be new massive plots to discover and deal with. You know - something Quinn can't just roll his eyes at and say, "Oh, not this again." After having his Victorian General ousted so quickly, Gaunt Man has to at least suspect about Quinn... he should be adjusting his plans accordingly.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 pm

utsukushi wrote:Honestly, the Still World was a very net, very - literally - earth-shaking concept, but I kind of hope you guys don't. Especially given the basis that some of the top people have been through this before, there should be new massive plots to discover and deal with. You know - something Quinn can't just roll his eyes at and say, "Oh, not this again." After having his Victorian General ousted so quickly, Gaunt Man has to at least suspect about Quinn... he should be adjusting his plans accordingly.

Rest assured that we're not duplicating whole plot lines. There may be echoes, but obviously we're going to do new stuff.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 pm

MAJT wrote:I can't help but feel if they'd have wanted the Still Earth they'd have done it. Does it still fit?

Sill Earth starts 20 hours before the first scene, 2 days travel, couple hours in Nile, then a half day or so flight.... Beginning to end its less than 4 days. So the time line isn't difficult to fit in, at least from the Core Earth perspective. I don't have the Gaunt Man's itinerary handy, so can't compare.

But yeah, it's huge for a first adventure. A real tone setter for the game when you can start the earth spinning. Since its all a bunch of new Torg players it won't be a re-run.

Mostly it's the pacing that feels off for eTorg. Eh. I think I'll try to jam it into a single Act. Maybe keep scene one and skip the entire Nile part, just tunnel straight to Ororrish. Put the Dive Suits in the Digging Machine with some other weird Science bits that were going to be used to siphon off the Energy or something and pad the investigation part a bit more.

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
There's a Day 30 adventure coming in the Delphi Missions book that I think will end up being that. It was the Gen Con demo last year, and has been the demo through this year.

But yes, we didn't want the Still World at all.

Well...at least not YET. :-)

Well, get me the adventure and I won't have to disrupt your timeline :D

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Okay, just finished reading the Day one Adventures, overall good stuff! Proceeding to yank out the good bits and re-purpose.

I'm going to start Before the Dawn with "The Lost World" Act 2; Scene 2 of the Living Land Day One adventure. I'll use the handouts and let the players poke around with the weirdness of Ukhaan. Once they reach the Top Floor, I'll set up the start of Before the Dawn. They'll spot the clearing with the Incredible Digging Machine, and then Hildy running from ... something. Run the rest of Before the Dawn Act one with the change of Gun Crates to Living Land Reality Bombs.

Act 2. The Incredible Digging Machine returns to Nile, and pops up at the Giza Pyramids. Run the Day one Nile adventure... Narrate the opening scene of the Incredible Digging Machine being surrounded by Nile Troops, Mobius makes a distant appearance, rocks fall, Incredible Digging Machine is destroyed. Run Scene 2 and Scene 3; add the PBY to Scene 3. Basically run it as a blend of "The Airbase" from Before the Dawn and Scene 3 "Escape from Giza". Scene 4 Dramatic Scene/Chase Scene as the PCs flee.

Act 3. Crash PBY in Orrorish. Somehow, shouldn't be hard. Give Maps to Chokmalli, have PCs find a vehicle, run the Day one Orrorish adventure. Edward Gant is not only secretly a monster, but a Nile double agent waiting for Professor Shariff. Plant Clues, notably, Edward has a boat nearby. Next day PCs get to Ocean, find Edward's boat, last two scenes of Before the Dawn with Gibberfat and the Machine.

Thanks for the Day One stuff! Even if not being used as written, many of the Scenes and NPCs lift out well enough. I can see some of the Living Land Day One stuff being worked into The Relics of Power when I get around to running that.

Aysle, Tharkhold, and Cyberpapacy will be raided for NPCs and gear for sure.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Well, okay, I'll rewrite it... but only because you guys twisted my arm so hard.

Actually, I needed to query you all to find out who wrote Before the Dawn, originally, so I can credit them with my "well-adjusted-but-better-fit-for-Eternity" version of Before the Dawn.

I'm done with the notes and the spread for the first two Acts. I need to add some artwork, a couple of maps, make some basic changes to Professor Shariff and the Digging Device, and a couple of tiny, necessary changes to scenes one and two -my family and I are playing this adventure, now- and see how the rest of Act One plays, finish putting Act Three together, a creatures and opposition section, a handouts section, etc., and then I'm going to try getting it out for playtesting by five groups, which I'll outline later, though I already have one of the five groups, already. Once that's all done, it will go up on the Exchange. I'm putting a crap-ton of work into this, and I think it's brilliant, minus the tweaks I spoke of a minute ago, so it'll be worth the wait, I think.

Anyway, if I can find out who the original authors of Before the Dawn were, I can credit their original work.

thateffendude

Postby thateffendude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Well, okay, I'll rewrite it... but only because you guys twisted my arm so hard.

Any further news on this front?

I am going to work on a conversion for this if I cannot get it elsewhere, but if you finished it, that would be better.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”