Storm Chasers

Lord_Widebottom

Storm Chasers

Postby Lord_Widebottom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 pm

I've been doing a little thinking about possible ideas for one-shot runs and it occurred to me that there is a segment of the population that would actively seek out opportunities to be transformed to other realities because they found the idea of living there more appealing than their boring old lives on Core Earth. From there the media tag "Storm Chasers" just kind of writes itself :)

Looking at it from the outside, a lot of those folks would probably be making poor decisions, but there are a couple of Cosms I see that could have a pretty obvious attraction:
Aysle: Ever met anyone that you thought would cast everything aside to live in an honest to goodness medieval fantasy world? I know I have
Cyberpapacy: There are a lot of people who have suffered traumatic injury or who were born with congenital health issues that would find the idea of cybernetic implants or replacements very appealing. If I recall correctly, the Cyberpapacy actively targets these people, at least within their own borders

Where I'm coming up a little short is trying to figure out is how the idea of being transformed to Living Land, Orrorsh, or Tharkold might be made to sound somewhat appealing to relatively normal folks.

Anyone have any ideas they might be willing to share?

Kanaris

Re: Storm Chasers

Postby Kanaris » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Lord_Widebottom wrote:Where I'm coming up a little short is trying to figure out is how the idea of being transformed to Living Land, Orrorsh, or Tharkold might be made to sound somewhat appealing to relatively normal folks.

Anyone have any ideas they might be willing to share?

Living Land - those with a Gaean type view of environmentalism (Gaea as in James Lovelock, not Orrorsh), perhaps using Keta Kalles as the gateway. In OTorg the religion was described as ecstatic, and I can see that being hugely appealing for the kind of person who doesn't feel sufficiently 'alive' in modern society (without drugs at least). Now that other religions are contradiction in the Cyberpapacy but not the LL, a particular kind of Christian might view it as a second chance at the Garden of Eden. The spiritual axiom would provide rewards for their faith that Core Earth could never match. God wants them to cleanse the snake from the Garden and they're up for the challenge!

Orrorsh would be far less attractive, obviously, except that a lot of hardline Protestants might see the Sacellum as the true, uncorrupted exemplar of their faith - but with real hellfire from their miracles, and battling real monsters from Hell. Also probably a trickle of budding Fausts who want to make pacts with dark powers - the Cosm cards make this really attractive, almost using the World laws as dealers in Corruption.

Tharkold - maybe those who want to become "the ultimate warrior"?

Totally agree with you on Aysle and (the newly framed) Cyberpapacy.

Shroudbearer

Postby Shroudbearer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 pm

For Tharkold, it's a little easier to see for NPCs (Hellraiser never seemed to have a problem finding folks trying to open the box), although I could see psychic folks feeling a strong (and dangerous) draw there.

For Orrorsh, there's the draw of forbidden magics, and never underestimate the power of cursed bloodlines (Your dearly departed uncle left you some land ...)

Pan-Pacifica: someone very very into tech might not notice they transformed

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:20 am

LL: paleo-dieters, :mrgreen: those who want to "get back to the land", MRA types who think modern civilization is has corrupted masculinity and want to be "real" men, survivalists/hunters who want to live or die by their skills or want to kill & eat the *really* big game and aren't afraid to do it without modern tech...

AL: historians, ren faire/SCA types, RPGers, :mrgreen: historical wargamers, medieval fantasy/Harry Potter fans, MRA types (as above), anyone who pines for authoritarian rule...

CP: reactionary fundamentalists who are less concerned about doctrine and more concerned with punishing the wicked/unbelievers, transhuman tech fetishists, the physically disabled, anyone who pines for a Lawful society where criminals are dealt with swiftly and harshly...

NE: megalomaniacs.

PP: tech fetishists, console gamers, scientists...

OR, TK: insane people.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 am

One of the coolest, and scariest, aspects of the new Cyberpapacy is that they're advertising. They not only offer cybernetics and that amazing new internet thing -- it's also one of the only places in the world that's being kept safe from these "High Lords".

The new Malreaux is a whole lot cannier than the original - and that one was, honestly, pretty clever. I have a feeling the Gaunt Man may regret inviting him along.

That said, I'm not entirely sure the concept of Transformation would be that well understood by just everybody. I mean, around the Delphi Council, yeah, but I don't know that everyone else would really know what's going on there. So for the most part, I would think Storm Chasers would be more like an internal term for Storm Knights who do that -- fall in love with a Reality and deliberately try to change.

So for the Living Land - yeah, "the simple life." When the Possibility Wars have gotten a little too heavy, going savage could be a nice way to let go a lot of the stress, without actually bowing out of the war.

Both Tharkold and Orrorsh.. honestly, for the most part, I don't see it, but yeah, the appeal of quick power. Someone might think they need to transform to Orrorsh to better understand the Gaunt Man. Or Tharkold perhaps if someone has gotten Occultech - either because they thought they could handle it, or not entirely of their own will - and figures if they Transform, they'll be able to handle it better. But as places someone would deliberately cross the world to be a part of, I'm hard pressed to put them in the top ten.

...Yes, I know there are only seven.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am

The thing about Pan-Pacifica right now is that as far as anyone who isn't on the inside track can see, if there is an invasion, it's a zombie-movie reality invasion. So there's not a lot of appeal to it, unless you're sick enough to want to become a jiangshi.

I can see of the survival-of-the-fittest types finding Tharkold appealing, on the assumption that they will go there, prove their toughness to Kranod, and be rewarded with a place in the hierarchy like Volkov or Jezrael. Now this is idiocy above and beyond "Wouldn't it be cool to live in D&DLand?" but Storm Chaser and half-witted jerk do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Ords wouldn't need to chase storms would they? Just go live in another reality for a while and transform... Mind you the sorts of folks you're talking about are probably not the patient sort...

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Most people would not see transformation as in game terms. Instead they would think if you go there, you can live there. Of course, in Aysle there are dwarves and elves and dragons but ordinary people can become warriors or magicians, why not give it a try. This is some kind of career choice for most. Of course, you have to go through a hefty storm first but if you are really desperate, this won't stop you. After all, millions are crossing the mediterranean sea in floating death traps in the hope of a better life or to flee from war. The cyberpapacy could be seen as a safe haven for refugees from africa and even the Nile Empire looks safer than Syria today.

Living Land, on the other side, could be seen as the ultimate high or a way to escape the hamster wheel of a minimum wage job.
Pan Pacifica is a prospering region in a world torn by war and probably food shortage. The jiangsi are a problem of course, but the Kanawa propaganda will (at least from day 90) portray it as being contained in some off-limits zones. So, go to Tokyo to get a good job and be far away from the horrors of this global war. Kanawa could even build or buy companies in Core Earth countries and send their employees to HQ for corporate training.

Orrorsh and Tharkold are a different story though. They will have to actively recruit soldiers of fortune or go out to hunt victims, after all, that is the way this is done in these realms. Btw shanghaiing is an age-old tradition in the victorian navy.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Most people would not see transformation as in game terms. Instead they would think if you go there, you can live there.

Yeah! That's what I was trying to say!

Thank you... I couldn't get that concept to click over in my head, and that's the perfect description of it.

Kind of a neat balance, which actually works really well -- the `younger' High Lords seem to be generally better at this aspect. The older ones, especially the Gaunt Man... they're not as well suited to attacking a world that they can't just absorb. On the other hand, most especially The Gaunt Man, has his world tuned to serve him exactly.

Has anybody else read Malice? The comparisons between the Gaunt Man and Tall Jake were... strong enough that I bet the author played Torg, now that I think about it. But since most people here probably haven't (it's really a "young adult" book); that has an another world ruled by a god named Tall Jake. They spread around an underground comic that showed scenes of things happening there, and also carried the rumor that if you performed this ritual, Tall Jake would come take you away.

Teenagers, of course, would do this ritual... as a dare, or to prove they didn't believe in it, or out of boredom or curiosity or whatever. And once the ritual was complete, they were, like, marked; they'd hear rats in the walls, or the shadows in their house would seem a little deeper, or something. And... maybe that night, or maybe a few months later, but, eventually... they would, indeed, be transported to Malice.

Something like that might work for Orrorsh. It doesn't entirely work in Torg's meta, but if you want to make something like this a part of your game, I think this could work. Not just rumors for children, but the Gaunt Man might have a scattering of... temptations, that can, if someone just performs whatever (totally voluntary! ..if never well explained) actions are called for, can tie them to Orrorsh.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Are you sure, the Gaunt Man didn't write Malice (the Core Earth version)? If there is a ritual described in this book that leads to darkness, this could absolutely be his style.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”