Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Kuildeous

Re: Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 pm

I think one of the biggest disappointments (for me anyway) is that the various gospog plantings won't be showcased until the cosm books come out. I really liked how the gospogs were cultivated to match the High Lords who harvested them. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering things, but I thought I read that the variety would not be as great in TorgE. I hope I'm wrong on that.

But I thought that gospog in power armor was very fitting for Nippon. It kept the secrecy as long as someone didn't kill one of these advanced gospogs.

Of course, Pan Pacifica can go farther with that and create something that resembles a yokai. There would be noticeable differences, but if it moves into an area and kills everything, then who's going to blow the whistle?

It kind of makes the gospog fields interesting. Kanawa can't just unleash the first-planting gospog because that would reveal the deception. They could be dropped in the western edge and chalked up to a Gaunt Man incursion, but that's about it. It's like Kanawa has to grow them into later plantings to make use of them.

But then again, the Day One adventure hints that:

► Show Spoiler
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Kuildeous wrote:But then again, the Day One adventure hints that:

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Staffan wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:But then again, the Day One adventure hints that:

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Thanks. I've read three iterations of the core book for the purposes of demos, so I glossed over a lot of the background information since it wasn't relevant for demos. Clearly I do need to sit down and read the background in the final version.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
RamblingScribe wrote:I agree with Kuildeous about the day one adventure, but I also think it is reinforced by the Near Now News feed. I don't get a sense of what is going on in Pan Pacifica other than swarms of zombies and Kanawa coming in and torching everything. I don't even have sense that containment is working and then being breached, it's really just that zombies are everywhere or could be anywhere any time and the only thing we can do torch everything,

I could see that. Until the PP book comes out, we'll have to make our own realm. I'm also reading up on the Delphi Council book to get an idea of how life in the realm may be, but I haven't gotten very far into it yet.

But here's how I see it and will likely run it. The infections are mostly contained by Kanawa. In fact, if they wanted to, they could stop it entirely. Of course they don't want to do that because each outbreak that happens frightens the populace who are all too willing to put control into Kanawa's hands. Kanawa doesn't get Possibility Energy from dead people, so it doesn't spread the virus willy-nilly. Kanawa creates an outbreak for various reasons:
* Reinforcement. When a populace is starting to feel confident and might start to drift away from relying on Kanawa's security, a well-placed outbreak can remind people who their savior really is.
* Punishment. If a recalcitrant state refuses to give into Kanawa's demands, then an I-told-you-so outbreak can happen in a very sensitive area to punish the government.
* Cover-up: If someone slips up and leaves evidence at a site, then Kanawa can create an outbreak at the location. Kanawa security would be on hand to contain the outbreak, of course, but they also can burn the evidence.
* Assassination. If Kanawa knows where a political enemy is, it can stage an outbreak in the hopes of the target being a casualty. If not from the infection then from the security team that happens to make a "mistake."
* Expansion. The ole real estate trick. Businesses and residents not interested in selling their properties? An outbreak would remove many obstinate holdouts as well as give the survivors motivation to sell their ruined property. A new munitions plant coming soon.
* Accident. Of course, microbes are funny little things, and they can never truly be controlled. A stray germ makes its way into an area that's not a Kanawa target. It could in fact be a Kanawa holding as nature bites the hand of the creator. In this regard, Kanawa is forced to use its security forces against neutral targets or even against itself!

I have no intention of throwing the jiangshi at my group very often, but I do intend to use the knowledge of them to encourage paranoia and strife. At any time, an outbreak could happen. When tales of stormers turning into yokai become known, this should cause a lot of worry.

So that's my take on PP until the sourcebook comes out.

<takes notes> :lol:

Seriously though, that is a very reasonable way to play Pan-Pacifica.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I think one of the biggest disappointments (for me anyway) is that the various gospog plantings won't be showcased until the cosm books come out. I really liked how the gospogs were cultivated to match the High Lords who harvested them. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering things, but I thought I read that the variety would not be as great in TorgE. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Oh, no. We still very much have all the plantings of the gospog planned. There are definitely some tweaks and...well...5th Plantings are freaking scary.

:mrgreen:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Oh, no. We still very much have all the plantings of the gospog planned. There are definitely some tweaks and...well...5th Plantings are freaking scary.

:mrgreen:

</squee>

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:But zombies are so OneNote.

I think you need to reinstall MS Office, that’s not normal...
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Atama wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:But zombies are so OneNote.

I think you need to reinstall MS Office, that’s not normal...

8-)

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Check out our video on Pan Pacifica - You may like it better after you watch it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENLjBFXHoZ4

ETStorm

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Exploring the Storm wrote:Check out our video on Pan Pacifica - You may like it better after you watch it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENLjBFXHoZ4

ETStorm

First and most important, fantastic video as always.

Second, everything after the first few minutes reflects a setting I want to play in, and my memories of oTorg NT.

Third the first part presents a pretty decent zombie scenario.

My challenge is, and this isn't the fault of the video, I still have trouble reconciling the two. I mean, if it were just a matter that Kanawa has the zombies mostly under control, that would be cool. And that's kind of how the video reads. But I still have to change all of the pesky zombie cards if I want that to be my game.

The second challenge being, we already have zombies everywhere else, and they work better everywhere else.

Again great video. If the game was set up like that, I wouldn't have started this thread!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”