Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Kuildeous

Re: Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm

rlrapp wrote:Thinking about posting my Psychic Ninja archetype. ;)

One of my players is seriously considering a psionic martial artist, so your concept may help him make a decision.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Etan Krel

Postby Etan Krel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
rlrapp wrote:Thinking about posting my Psychic Ninja archetype. ;)
One of my players is seriously considering a psionic martial artist, so your concept may help him make a decision.

You may be interesting in this. I posted a sample of one of my players' SK, using martial arts and psionics.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Yes it is VERY much Resident Evil as it stands now.

Watch a few of the movies and ou'll get it.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm

I think that the Cyberpapacy kind of stole a lot of the things that made Nippon-Tech unique in oTorg, and then it ends up feeling kind of similar to Pan-Pacifica, but with more of a clear "schtick" to immediately wrap your mind around. Kanawa Corp went from being a pretty mundane corporate conglomerate in oTorg to more of an Umbrella Corporation in Eternity I think.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Yeah, that's one of the things we're conscious of, and why even though you probably _could_ have Pan-Pacifica be all 'surveillance-y' we don't want it to be that way. The Cyberpapacy is where the paranoid "they're always watching us" stuff is going to go on.

We have other plans for Pan-Pacifica. :twisted:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:05 pm

In very simple terms, I see CP as the dystopian society established. PP is the actions leading to the dystopian society.

CP = Hunger Games, 1984, V for Vendetta, The Giver
PP = The flash backs of the societal takeover in the above. Zombies are just the newest means to the ends, and the law of intrigue keeps it from fruition.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 am

For me, the key that helped me get on board with Pan Pacifica and the Resident Evil vibe was figuring out how the whole "zombie outbreak" keyed into the bigger picture of their intrigue.

The whole "diabolical corporation" part of the RE games is very base and kind of simplistic and nonsensical, because it's a freaking video game. But that's not actually what Pan Pacifica is doing or what it's about. Because to me the primary "mark" in this particular intrigue isn't humanity - we're only the surface level and PP has a dozen other ways to deal with us. The zombie outbreak targets us because it's efficient given Kanawa's *other* goals.

To me, the primary "mark" is the Gaunt Man.

The Gaunt Man shows up, and "gifts" Pan Pacifica with Gospog when they get invited into the invasion. They can't say "no," or risk angering the Gaunt Man or being cut off by him. But none of the savvy High Lords especially *want* the Gospog, because they all know the Gaunt Man is going to turn those suckers on them somehow as soon as the time comes, and nobody's thrilled about giving the Gaunt Man a built in army in their own Cosm.

Now, Pan Pacifica doesn't know squat about magic and occultism. But they *do* know genetics - and the Gaunt Man does *not.* So what do they do, as a Cosm dedicated to intrigue? As probably the *only* Cosm with a High Lord better at intrigue than the Gaunt Man? They smile, take the Gospog, and immediately begin genetically modifying them until they're so different from what the Gaunt Man gave them that whatever control mechanism he has to assert control over them might not work.

Then they develop a "cure" that gives Pan Pacifica an easy way to kill them all if the Gaunt Man *does* get control. And Kanawa just says "thanks *so* much for these Gospog! We're using them as part of an intrigue against Core Earth, so of *course* we have a cure - it's all part of our master plan!" Which it *is*... It's just that said master plan is as much about the Gaunt Man as it is about us.

And the Gaunt Man absolutely *knows* this, but *he* can't say or do anything about it without admitting his *own* game and intrigue, which Pan Pacifica *also* knows. So the Gaunt Man smiles, and makes a mental note to make Kanawa pay later, because just now he *absolutely* got outmaneuvered and played. Because long-view, multi-goal, multi-level intrigue is what Pan Pacifica does better than *anyone,* even the Gaunt Man himself.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am

That helps a lot. Thank you.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

Synarchist wrote:They smile, take the Gospog, and immediately begin genetically modifying them until they're so different from what the Gaunt Man gave them that whatever control mechanism he has to assert control over them might not work.

This is an interesting storyline, and I can see how it would be a lot of fun to play out, but is it canon based on what we know right now? Has it even been established that Jiangshi = Gospog?

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am

Yes, the Jiangshi are genetically modified/experimented on Gospog. I don't remember if it's in the core book or the Day One adventure, but it's official.

You're right though, there definitely *is* some inference in my post - it's inductive reasoning, and so less certain than deductive, absolutely.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”