Hot Targets for High Lords

TorgHacker

Re: Hot Targets for High Lords

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Yeah, we're making sure that he's not a chump.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Yeah, we're making sure that he's not a chump.

Conquering half of Russia would help with that! (Hint, hint)

By the way, the knights in old Russian legendary epics were called bogatyrs. The stories had them fighting giants, dragons, and other mythological creatures. Hmm. What a coinky-dink.

You know, just saying. For no reason. (Whistles innocently) :)

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Yeah, we're making sure that he's not a chump.

That's a good thing, & the GM's section on Aysle makes it clear that he's both capable and ambitious. However, for all that the Gaunt Man might be a bit hubristic, he's definitely not a chump either. He has to be aware that Uthorian's likely to become a rival at some point down the line. He's obviously not going to pick a complete clown to set up as a sub-ordinate High Lord, but equally I can't see him picking anyone who has any hope of actually challenging him when the inevitable showdown does come.

mystic101 wrote:Conquering half of Russia would help with that! (Hint, hint)

By the way, the knights in old Russian legendary epics were called bogatyrs. The stories had them fighting giants, dragons, and other mythological creatures. Hmm. What a coinky-dink.

You know, just saying. For no reason. (Whistles innocently) :)

There's a large radioactive zone which might hamper Aysle's expansion into Russia.
Is radioactivity even a thing in Aysle? The Tech to create it is contradictory, but could it be created through Magical or Spiritual power instead? I guess at the very least the "Blasted Land" would be transformed into some kind of "Cursed Land" if it fell under Aysle's axioms?

Also, there's not a lot of population to be had by Aysle spreading into Russia.

I definitely want to see an Aysle-Tharkold war, but I think the Tharkoldu have got more to gain from it (sweet, sweet Magic!) so are likely to be the ones to start it. Either way I look forward to playing around with Aysle-Tharkold Mixed Zones! :twisted:
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 pm

While I agree that the TE core book sets him up as less of bumbling fool, I am not convinced that he is not still a chump (I hope to be proven wrong). Baruk Kaah's change is pretty complete, but this Uthorian still did the Ardinay possession. He still uses the Gaunt Man's dragon-thing, the Carredon. Then when we went to destroy the elves, they gave him a secret and he immediately ran to tell the Gaunt Man about it for the Gaunt Man to use instead of adding those wonderful "weapons" to his own arsenal. Or the Gaunt Man never let him leave the leash and micro-manages his invasions. The Aysle section says when the elves gave the secret, the Gaunt Man accepted and Uthorian's attacks stopped...

He doesn't have the centuries old acquaintanceship (can they really be friends?) with Malraux as a help against the Gaunt Man.

Kranod is no longer a former Gaunt Man servant, so he can't even use that weak connection, "We both served and know the Gaunt Man will destroy us individually, when/if he becomes Torg, let's make an alliance. I have a friend...."

It seems to me he is in a much worse position in TE than in OT. He might not be bumbling in casting fireballs (as depicted in Interview with Evil), but he doesn't seem to be his own High Lord.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 am

Wotan wrote:There's a large radioactive zone which might hamper Aysle's expansion into Russia.
Is radioactivity even a thing in Aysle? The Tech to create it is contradictory, but could it be created through Magical or Spiritual power instead? I guess at the very least the "Blasted Land" would be transformed into some kind of "Cursed Land" if it fell under Aysle's axioms?

I really like that "Cursed Land" idea.

Wotan wrote:Also, there's not a lot of population to be had by Aysle spreading into Russia.

Placing just one single stelae east of St. Petersburg would give them a zone that includes the second-largest city in Russia. That's low effort, high return.

Sending down two columns of stelae south through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, eastern Poland, and northern Ukraine would box Tharkold in, cutting them off from Europe and calling "dibs" on all those countries where Slavic legends of knightly bogatyrs could most take root, at least outside of Russia. The easternmost column would be a hellish warzone of mixed Ayslish/Tharkoldu, while the western column would just be Ayslish, and could support and reinforce the warzone.

Wotan wrote:I definitely want to see an Aysle-Tharkold war, but I think the Tharkoldu have got more to gain from it (sweet, sweet Magic!) so are likely to be the ones to start it. Either way I look forward to playing around with Aysle-Tharkold Mixed Zones! :twisted:

I'd be okay with Tharkold initiating the hostilities, looking for that "sweet, sweet Magic". I just think they're in a weakened position if they did, and it could easily turn out they'd bitten off more than they could chew.

I could see that being the final straw in the Gaunt Man giving the green light to Uthorion to hit them back. First the Tharkoldu made the mistake of showing Core Earth that the invaders weren't invincible, and then they show the world that the invaders can be turned against each other, by initiating open hostilities against a fellow High Lord? Unforgivable, twice over. Hit'em, and let'em twist. Cut off from westward expansion, and having only underpopulated Russian territory eastward, they'd have plenty of incentive to drop a new bridge to a non-contiguous location far afield. Ta da! Mexico. Currently unclaimed, with some large population centers. If they did unexpectedly well with that sneak attack, they might be emboldened to spread north to California, even if it opened up hostilities against Kaah.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm

A thought occurs to me that High Lords have a fairly weak incentive to go after one another's territories. Their main goal, after all, is possibility energy, and taking over an area that someone else already invaded means going after a field where someone's already begun the harvest. There can certainly be other reasons for in-fighting (e.g. resources or vindictiveness), but territory's probably not going to be it.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Staffan wrote:A thought occurs to me that High Lords have a fairly weak incentive to go after one another's territories. Their main goal, after all, is possibility energy, and taking over an area that someone else already invaded means going after a field where someone's already begun the harvest. There can certainly be other reasons for in-fighting (e.g. resources or vindictiveness), but territory's probably not going to be it.

I agree, there would have to be more to it than possibilities to motivate them to invade each other, but my thinking follows the process of:

1. What would be fun / cool /interesting.
2. How can I justify / rationalize it so that it doesn't break suspension of disbelief.

So if I think Dr. Mobius dropping a bridge on Hong Kong would be fun, I'll let it happen and then figure out a reason why. Maybe something very important to him is there, enough to risk opening another front against Pan Pacifica and splitting his Empire. It helps that he's crazy, but being a crazy genius, there does have to be a compelling reason.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Staffan wrote:A thought occurs to me that High Lords have a fairly weak incentive to go after one another's territories. Their main goal, after all, is possibility energy, and taking over an area that someone else already invaded means going after a field where someone's already begun the harvest. There can certainly be other reasons for in-fighting (e.g. resources or vindictiveness), but territory's probably not going to be it.

It's not just Possibility Energy for it's own sake. That actually is only a means to an end, which is to become Torg. Just because you might not get as much Possibility Energy as you would have if it was your territory to begin with, it still is more Possibility Energy than you had before. Also, it reduces the influx of PE to that other High Lord, and also may impact them bad enough they

a) have their Darkness Device abandon them.
b) prevent an attack on themselves to begin with
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:42 pm

BTW, I just wanted to say that conversations like these do help us focus on some potential problems ahead of time, or at least alternatives to what we already have planned.

For good or ill. :twisted:

One issue that was floating in the back of my head is now solved. And in a pretty neat way too IMO.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 am

TorgHacker wrote:

It's not just Possibility Energy for it's own sake. That actually is only a means to an end, which is to become Torg. Just because you might not get as much Possibility Energy as you would have if it was your territory to begin with, it still is more Possibility Energy than you had before. Also, it reduces the influx of PE to that other High Lord, and also may impact them bad enough they

a) have their Darkness Device abandon them.
b) prevent an attack on themselves to begin with

Sure, but let's say you're Uthorion looking to expand your territory. You could either put fight Malraux for some territory in France, or you could drop them on "virgin" territory in Germany or Poland. The latter is probably going to get you more juice for less effort.

Then again, Uthorion's stelae placement is not the most rational to begin with if looking at possibility harvesting, so he probably has something else motivating him.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”