Hot Targets for High Lords

Kuildeous

Re: Hot Targets for High Lords

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am

Staffan wrote:Then again, Uthorion's stelae placement is not the most rational to begin with if looking at possibility harvesting, so he probably has something else motivating him.

I could see Uthorion's realm collecting a secondary resource. Being that it's the highest magic axiom, Aysle may have the means to harvest ley lines for power. It's not as potent as Possibility Energy, but it allows Uthorion to use less populated regions more efficiently than the other realms.

And tapping into the legends of the UK and Scandinavia gives Uthorion that extra kick. And yeah, Russia's fairy tales would look pretty enticing, but so also would the old Aztec empire, Haiti, Australian outback, and all manner of African tribal lands.

Being hemmed in seems like a bad position, but it's not like a High Lord has to stay in one spot (aka Living Land). And besides, the nature of Aysle's underground bridges should be a great advantage. Uthorion could send trolls and lurks from Norway to a new invasion spot in Peru in literally hours. How long would it take for Malreaux to ferry forces to Brazil without a dimthread? And also risk disconnections.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Russia's fairy tales would look pretty enticing, but so also would the old Aztec empire, Haiti, Australian outback, and all manner of African tribal lands.

The problem with those other places is that their myths aren't quite as thematically "spot-on" as the Slavic tales, with the knights & the dragons and such, and so I'd expect them to be less attractive. If Aysle already has great legends right next door, then why bother going halfway across the world for what would be a poorer fit?

Kuildeous wrote:Being hemmed in seems like a bad position, but it's not like a High Lord has to stay in one spot (aka Living Land). And besides, the nature of Aysle's underground bridges should be a great advantage. Uthorion could send trolls and lurks from Norway to a new invasion spot in Peru in literally hours. How long would it take for Malreaux to ferry forces to Brazil without a dimthread? And also risk disconnections.

That's a great point about the underworld travel. What a huge strategic advantage that gives, now that I think about it! Uthorion could mass troops into a single location from all over the Aysle realm in just a few hours, if he really, really needed to win a particular battle using superior numbers, and then disperse most of those troops back to their original locations afterwards just as quickly. That flexibility is a tremendous potential force-multiplier, right there.

However, the other realms could attempt a much more limited approximation of that, if they'd established multiple bridges to Core Earth and had been clever about their placement cosm-side. For instance, say the cosm sides of two bridges are close together, back in the native cosm. Not right next to each other . . . maybe a few hours' travel apart, so as not to be too vulnerable to an attack that could hit both bridges. Realm-side, a High Lord could then send an army up the first bridge, back into the cosm; march over to the second bridge; and then travel back down into a second established beachhead on Core Earth, even if the second area was on the other side of the planet from the first. Not nearly as flexible as Uthorion's setup, but still very handy.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Re-read the section on Malraux today and one thing that stood out for me is the reminder that his strategy is to be practically invited to invade and welcomed with open arms. His standing army is small, and so while areas that have a very strong Catholic presence might welcome him, they might also rebuke him for the same reasons, since the Vatican has declared him the Anti-Pope.

So where would there likely be a crisis of faith and an area desperate that he could exploit that would also be interesting from a story and gaming point of view? I think Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam. Fear of Ororrsh and the jianghi plague and lack of loyalty to the Vatican might result in many converts to the Cyberpapacy religion and way of thinking. Singapore in particular would be a good target as they have a lot to lose.

The Gaunt Man might not be pleased with such a move, but would likely be prepared to use it to his benefit, playing off Malraux against Kanawa.

Also the Central states of the USA are a good target. Why let Baruk Kaah unite his two fronts when there are some very Catholic cities in the midwest full of faithful who feel betrayed by the Vatican? New Orleans, Chicago, Denver, San Antonio, and St Louis are all part of the top ten Catholic cities in the USA, and I could see Malraux making a habit of swooping in with a bridge in places where faithful people are in eminent danger like this. Cyberpapacy zones are not shown on the Year One preview map of course, but they wouldn't show us that in a preview anyway, and that big gap between the fronts is suspicious, why hasn't Baruk Kaah closed it? It's easy to imagine Malraux declaring a holy war against the Living Land and lots of Americans falling in with him.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

No, that's the actual map. Malraux isn't there. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

So by the end of year 1, Kaah has spread over all of FL, Cuba, and connected the east region to his Central American zones. Also he's taken the swampy states in the southern US. And most of Idaho and Nevada. But curiously missing the major population centers of Vegas, LA, and San Diego.

We know that Missouri and Tennessee zones were uprooted. If they were still there, the eastern zone would look fuller. It seems like he's making "thick" clusters of zones rather than trying for a thin bridge between east and west. Or maybe he made the bridge and had it uprooted and is trying something else. EDIT: ah, the preview says he hasn't tried to join the east and west regions.

On the one hand, it doesn't look like he's made tremendous progress in a year. OTOH, he has a lot of territory to defend. And his cosm is kinda working against him.
Last edited by Spatula on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:No, that's the actual map. Malraux isn't there. :-)

Ah well. Not sure he won't be in my game. ;)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:17 pm

For comparison's sake, here's one of the better, and simple, population maps out there.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/2016_election_map.png

Overlay that with the LL map and you'll see that most of the population's already in the conquered zones. There's not much *need* to go get, say, Wyoming, because you'll burn more energy taking it than you'd reap. The range between the Rockies and the Mississippi River is, for the most part, barren. (Texas, of course, a notable exception). You're better off leaving it as-is and aiming for another population center, like, say, Mexico City. Keep in mind, I say this as a resident of general flyover country (Tennessee, center point of the current war and probably a pile of ash after the stelae was uprooted... oops!) ... there's just not a lot of BODIES outside of the coastlines. Something like 80% of the population of the US is within a hundred miles of an ocean, Great Lake, of the Gulf.

With the meaty coastlines gobbled up, you have to start looking elsewhere for areas that are worth it.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Mind you at this point many survivors from the invaded zones will have arrived in the more central areas as refugees, but the point mostly stands.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:Mind you at this point many survivors from the invaded zones will have arrived in the more central areas as refugees, but the point mostly stands.

That, and congregated into the hard points, like Philadelphia. Philly is gonna be HUMMING with, like, five million extra people crammed in there.

Deadstop

Postby Deadstop » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 pm

How sincere in his beliefs do we think the TorgE Cyberpope is?

In oTorg, Malraux seemed to be modeled on the “bad popes” of the Middle Ages, and did not at all practice what he preached. (As I recall, not only was he friends with a dark sorcerer like Uthorion, but they were at least heavily implied to be lovers, at least while Uthorion was in Ardinay’s body.)

TorgE Malraux seems like he might be a bit more of a true believer in his own hype. Obviously he’s still going around sucking universes dry for his own benefit, and he has the “send in demons that I can then exorcise to win adulation” con down pat, but I think he really does believe that magic and other religions are wicked, rather than having “one rule for me and another for thee.” And likewise he probably really believes in conquering the weaknesses of the flesh through cyberware, and is more likely to have a habit of spending too much time hooked up to his own virtual Heaven than to have a stable of mistresses or choirboys on the side. And he might have accepted the GM’s deal to open up a juicy new parcel of missionary territory, but might sincerely despise what other HLs like Uthorion, Kranod, Kaah, and even Gaunty himself represent.

Then again, I like the idea (which I think I’ve seen on here) that Malraux doesn’t want his Spirit axiom to be LL-high, because he’s actually terrified of what would happen if Literal Jesus showed up to judge his performance as Vicar and could potentially send him to Literal Hell. That would suggest he knows on some level that he’s not living up to his own rules.

Which seems more fun, and (to swerve back around to the main topic), how would either option influence his choice of future moves in the war?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”