Hot Targets for High Lords

Metalchef

Re: Hot Targets for High Lords

Postby Metalchef » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:39 am

I think the latter fits in better with TE.

The oTorg Malraux is just another example of a leader corrupting a faith for power & gain. While this fits with the role a high lord plays, it also makes him a predictable, ineffective villian, as his success level in oTorg proved.

The new Malraux that was suggested makes him a dangerous, unpredictable fanatic who, in his mind, is doing "God's Will". Then add in the likelihood that he sees his DD as a gift from God that he was obviously meant to use to bring the word to other cosms, Ebenuscrux whispering more into his mind to feed the delusions,etc, makes this new Cyberpope much more like Baruk Kaah: reworked from a ineffective chump to a deadly enemy.

My thought would be that he would start out by making moves to get CE Catholic heavy countries to back him, then drop his reality on the area. While Europe was a great starting point, South America would be a prime target, as would areas of Southern Asia, such as the Philippines.
Once he has established power bases, I think he would send out "missionaries" to see if he can get people to convert/desire cyberwar, then move in when the time is right. A tactic he would most likely use is to send in non-cyber laden missionaries and have them preach about the "gifts of God" that will only come if the Cyberpope "intercedes with the father" aka activates his steale. He could then use cyberpriests to get the area under firm control after the Axiom Wash. This would be aimed primarily at poorer countries, as the people might come to see him as a savior from poverty and government corruption(and not realizing they went from human evil to a true level of evil they have never seen the likes of).

Another tactic he might use is to call a Crusade in an area he wants to "save from the heathens/wicked" and make a big show of it by activating his planted steale at the right time, showing "God's favor".

Note: none of this is a condemnation of any faith. I am just trying to think of how a fanatic, deluded leader of a faith would act as a puppet of true evil.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am

The best villains are those who don't think that they're villains, and in fact, you could alllllllllllmost see their point of view.

I mean, when Malraux says that casting spells can allow demons to come into the world...he's not wrong.

I think Malraux may end up being my favorite villain we do in Torg Eternity.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:47 pm

The Cyberpapacy is the realm that worries me the most, out of all of them. The highest tech level; one of the friendliest-seeming of them, looking in from the outside; and maybe the hardest one of all to dislodge, once a stelae goes down. I mean, in any other cosm you can seed Glories to protect the population before a stelae pull, to keep everyone from vaporizing.

That won't work in the CP. Even if you Glory the area, anyone with the wrong cyberware will still die horribly. People with only cybernetic arms, legs, or eyes might be okay, depending on the level of shock and sepsis that occur when those things stop working. But people with cybernetic skeletons, internal organs, or large swathes of synthetic skin? They're probably gonna die horribly, no matter how many Glories were played beforehand.

Hundreds of thousands of people . . . maybe even millions . . . per zone, all held hostage just as surely as if they'd never been refilled with possibility energy. What do storm knight teams do? I haven't figured this one out, myself. It's not an immediate problem. Malraux has lots of backup stelae, so storm knights can still pull them freely for now, and the status quo won't change much. But there would come a time when the backup stelaes start running out, and storm knights don't exactly have an inventory list for those things. They can never know if their next stelae pull is "safe", even at the beginning of the war, and countless deaths will be on their hands if they're wrong.

So . . . what do they do? Anyone have any ideas?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 am

Some or all of them would transform back to Core Earth, wiping out the cybernetics in the process, wouldn't they?

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 am

TorgHacker wrote:The best villains are those who don't think that they're villains, and in fact, you could alllllllllllmost see their point of view.

I mean, when Malraux says that casting spells can allow demons to come into the world...he's not wrong.

I think Malraux may end up being my favorite villain we do in Torg Eternity.

I've always seen Mobius as Wallace Shawn playing Cobra Commander.

Dean, what actor would you use to describe Malreaux?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:41 am

I split that topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2332
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am

Spatula wrote:Some or all of them would transform back to Core Earth, wiping out the cybernetics in the process, wouldn't they?

Well, Core Earth is mostly dominant zones. According to the chart on page 215, the rate that people transform back to Core Earth is negligible for the first week, and only 4% through the first month. Meanwhile, it seems like those people would be disconnecting at a high rate, and only 1 in 20 of them would transform upon disconnecting. The other 19 out of 20 would probably die.

Looked at like that, maybe it would only be hundreds or thousands that perish in the first few weeks . . . but that would still give my character a big pause, before uprooting a CP stela. That's a lot of blood on one's hands. I'm not sure what Core Earth can do about that level of collateral damage. Evacuating cyber-laden people back into CP zones, maybe? That sounds like a logistical nightmare, and a big PR coup for Malreaux, too.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Staffan wrote:Sure, but let's say you're Uthorion looking to expand your territory. You could either put fight Malraux for some territory in France, or you could drop them on "virgin" territory in Germany or Poland. The latter is probably going to get you more juice for less effort.

Then again, Uthorion's stelae placement is not the most rational to begin with if looking at possibility harvesting, so he probably has something else motivating him.

It's not going to happen in the near future because we know where Aysle is at the end of year one, but where it will expand other than the obvious (Denmark, Germany) is an interesting question which can deepen the fantasy realm.

Purely population wise, Pan Pacifica and Orrorsh have *well* over a billion people within their zones, but of the others only Aysle fails to crack the 100 million mark (the Cyberpapacy gets there with France + Iberia alone, let alone once it has expanded to the populated coastal parts of Brazil). Although I agree that Aysle and Russian myth is a great fit, I wonder whether West Africa might be the place to expand. It has the greatest concentration of people well outside the current zones (over 350 million, with Nigeria alone being 200 million people). In the last ten years or more there has been an explosion of fantasy based on non-Western archetypes (such as by NK Jemisin), and with Asia too crowded it could be very interesting to see Aysle in Africa. For myself, any connection with Orrorsh is better suited to nightmare trees in New Orleans and/or Haiti rather than in Africa itself.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm

I'm really interested as to what Uthorion's expansion plans are?

Australia?
South America?
Indonesia?

It's really not hard for Tharkold or Cyberpapacy to block him out of eastern Europe.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:26 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I'm really interested as to what Uthorion's expansion plans are?

Australia?
South America?
Indonesia?

It's really not hard for Tharkold or Cyberpapacy to block him out of eastern Europe.

I assume that the only reason the HL choose the locations they do is to make transformations easier to happen as there is local lore similar to their realities. But this doesn't have to be the case. If you look at history, the Vikings had trade routes all through Europe, down to the Mediterranean and the tip of Africa. They even got to Greenland and the US. They got everywhere.

I think it wouldn't be a stretch for Uthorion to create a water bridge to anywhere... maybe even Indonesia? Drop some water based stelae and do a spot of piracy. Indonesia has a population of 200+million over 18,000+ islands. ... and as long as he controls access via the bridges, he should have little aggravation from the forces of light because of the distances involved. This would also appease any unrest within the Viking ranks allowing them to run amok throughout the islands.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”