The Godnet

ZorValachan

Re: The Godnet

Postby ZorValachan » Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:
fougerec wrote:I really like that idea of a hardlight chamber!

I call them holoports, but also found them to he a great way to get the whole party inside the GodNet doing things.

Yeah, BTW, I got some useful bits from the paraverse for setting this up, so thanks very much!

Awesome, glad it had useful ideas for u !
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Sat May 12, 2018 12:31 am

The virtual torture episode of Altered Carbon had me thinking of the Cyberpapacy. My thought was, "This is how the Cyberpapacy would do it."

I could picture older inquisitors muttering to themselves, "This virtual questioning. No fear of the heretic dying before confession. No finesse in keeping them alive."

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat May 12, 2018 5:23 am

I just finished S1 of Altered Carbon yesterday. So...yeahhhh. :)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Necanthrope

Postby Necanthrope » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 am

the book version of the interrogation is very ghastly...

Also Black Mirror S02E04 has lots of ideas for Cyberpapacy (Black mirror in général is very good), but some of them are really awful vs PCs.

raezenkane

Postby raezenkane » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:20 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:I ran a pretty successful run in the godnet this week. Here's what I went with.

The hacker entered with a neural jack, everyone else was using a holodeck style hardlight chamber.

How did you run the Godnet in Torg Eternity? With just the base rules in the Core Rulebook, or did you phase in old rules from Old Torg's Cyberpapacy and Godnet source books?

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm

raezenkane wrote:
RamblingScribe wrote:I ran a pretty successful run in the godnet this week. Here's what I went with.

The hacker entered with a neural jack, everyone else was using a holodeck style hardlight chamber.

How did you run the Godnet in Torg Eternity? With just the base rules in the Core Rulebook, or did you phase in old rules from Old Torg's Cyberpapacy and Godnet source books?

I used the base rules plus a vague impression/memory of the old godnet, plus stuff harvested from the forums here and a little dash of tech from the Alterverse in the Infiniverse exchange. The last mostly just for deciding how much a neural jack and deck would be worth.

The equipment rules I mentioned I just made up.

I'm very much on the board with the idea that for the most part, the GodNet should operate under the same game rules as everything else, but have a different feel.

Rendghast

Postby Rendghast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:57 pm

personally, i would vastly prefer to scrap the entire godnet and make pan pasifica the net runner realm.

First, it fits way more with the law of intrigue. Hacking a computer is by definition trying to sneak in. Second, it allows combat in Pasifica "Out of sight". If people start shooting in the streets, cops get called, wanted posters printed, and roadblocks put up. If people start shooting in a closed data file....who is t know?

Second, the papacies axioms make next to zero sence. Tech 26 Social 18 Magic 10 Spirit 14? are you kidding? the Law of One True god is a walking example of spirit 23 in action. and how is magic only 10, when it is common enough to rate a Law of heresy. Orrorsh has a magic of 15 and spell design is literally case by case. YOu need magic 15 just to summon demons in the first place, how the heck are they a common thing in the papacy if no one is capable of summoning them?!!!

The Papacy should be run as "Protestant reformation gone wild" and have its axioms altered to tech 16, Social 17, Magic 16, Spirit 23. Let the mind net be a pasifica thing, it just makes more sense in game.

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:16 am

Rendghast wrote:First, it fits way more with the law of intrigue. Hacking a computer is by definition trying to sneak in. Second, it allows combat in Pasifica "Out of sight". If people start shooting in the streets, cops get called, wanted posters printed, and roadblocks put up. If people start shooting in a closed data file....who is t know?

You can have computer hacking in both, but very different in how they appear.

Second, the papacies axioms make next to zero sence. Tech 26 Social 18 Magic 10 Spirit 14? are you kidding?

Those are oTorg numbers. TE raises Magic to 14 and Spirit to 16. There is no Summon spell or miracle in the core rules.

PrinceEarwig

Postby PrinceEarwig » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:44 am

Rendghast wrote:personally, i would vastly prefer to scrap the entire godnet and make pan pacifica the net runner realm.

First, it fits way more with the law of intrigue. Hacking a computer is by definition trying to sneak in. Second, it allows combat in Pacifica "Out of sight". If people start shooting in the streets, cops get called, wanted posters printed, and roadblocks put up. If people start shooting in a closed data file....who is t know?

Second, the papacies axioms make next to zero sense. Tech 26 Social 18 Magic 10 Spirit 14? are you kidding? the Law of One True god is a walking example of spirit 23 in action. and how is magic only 10, when it is common enough to rate a Law of heresy. Orrorsh has a magic of 15 and spell design is literally case by case. YOu need magic 15 just to summon demons in the first place, how the heck are they a common thing in the papacy if no one is capable of summoning them?!!!

The Papacy should be run as "Protestant reformation gone wild" and have its axioms altered to tech 16, Social 17, Magic 16, Spirit 23. Let the mind net be a pacifica thing, it just makes more sense in game.

Ok your personal game is your personal game but...
Your solution is to remove Cyber from the CyberPapacy and to remove the Hard Boiled Martial Arts combat from the Martial Arts realm.
This is akin to taking magic out of Aysle or the Horror out of Orrorsh.
Also we have no idea if Orrorsh is going to get case by case magic in Torg Eternity, but you can bet that "if it does" it will be due to a world law stretching what is possible with the axioms.
Your getting hung up on the Axioms doing everything, they don't. They provide the framework for most actions and then world Laws change the rules.

Aysle needs WAY higher than Magic 24 for spontaneous creation of magic items with absolutely no training, yet there it is with the Law of magic.
There is NOTHING in any axiom that means people heal faster, yet there it is in the Living Land, Law of Life.
Why are demons a thing in Cyberpapacy, because the World law creates a situation where they are.
Why is combat in the open a thing in Pan Pacifica, because the world laws encourage hard boiled everyman heroes fighting against impossible odds. Oh and there are infected Jiangshi (sp?) running around all over the place.
The Law of the One true god means that in a cosm that shouldn't have a single dominant religion, it still does and it does this without making the adherents to that religion miracle toting zealots.

Remember that these are NOT realities that follow "our" or even Core Earth common sense. People don't phone the cops because.. reasons appropriate to the realm.
Maybe they phone Corpsec security instead and it just isn't profitable to respond that quickly to a small street skirmish.
The Security services are stretched thin and are assigned to the increased security at important person X's garden party.
the wanted poster doesn't get posted because the contract for managing that service went out to tender and was awarded to the lowest corporate bidder who just happens to be run by a CEO who is actually a secret member of the Rauru block and is trying their hardest to counter Kanawa at every turn.

As to "if people are to start shooting in a closed data file, who is to know"..
The Godnet knows. It is in almost everything. So the darkness device knows, so Malraux likely knows (if Ebencrux decides to tell him)
If it is a truly closed data file "how did you get in?" If its air gapped or whirlwinded then you had to break in or possibly fight your way in.
At which point "people know".

Rendghast

Postby Rendghast » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:06 pm

PrinceEarwig wrote:Your solution is to remove Cyber from the CyberPapacy and to remove the Hard Boiled Martial Arts combat from the Martial Arts realm.
This is akin to taking magic out of Aysle or the Horror out of Orrorsh.

Not in the slightest. If you remember classic, on day 1 the papacy was exactly what i described, "Protestant Reformation Gone WIld". AL Malruex was coming down the maelstrom bridge, he ran into storm knights (from tharkudu i think) and came pretty close to getting whooped by them. His darkness divice goes "Hey, this tech stuff is neat, i'm grabbing that!" and does, changing axioms to those of the technician in the storm knights.

Here is the problem...the reason the knights where on the mealstrom bridge was they had just stopped the tharkudu invasion.

In short, cybernetics was never central to Magna Verta, it was an add on, like the joker traveling to japan and studying karate for a week. Religion was central to magna verde, but they never had the axiom to support it.

PrinceEarwig wrote:Aysle needs WAY higher than Magic 24 for spontaneous creation of magic items with absolutely no training, yet there it is with the Law of magic.
There is NOTHING in any axiom that means people heal faster, yet there it is in the Living Land, Law of Life.
Why are demons a thing in Cyberpapacy, because the World law creates a situation where they are.
Why is combat in the open a thing in Pan Pacifica, because the world laws encourage hard boiled everyman heroes fighting against impossible odds. Oh and there are infected Jiangshi (sp?) running around all over the place.
The Law of the One true god means that in a cosm that shouldn't have a single dominant religion, it still does and it does this without making the adherents to that religion miracle toting zealots. Remember that these are NOT realities that follow "our" or even Core Earth common sense. People don't phone the cops because.. reasons appropriate to the realm.

OK i will take you at your word then. At SPirit 19 spiritual realms become accessible to mortals. Make the godnet a realm, or chain of realms, accessible by faith, not hardware, similar to how the dreamtime worked in werewolf. Seriously it was a horrid mechanic, stapled on at the last second, which makes less then no sense for the realm it was placed in. At least ask them to do something that makes sense.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”