Nile Empire on Mars

Greymarch2000

Re: Nile Empire on Mars

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:43 am

Rescuing them would be a grand publicity stunt for the Cyberpapacy or Pan Pacifica to prove their on the side of core Earth.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 pm

ryric wrote:I also ponder what the poor inhabitants of the ISS think of the invasion. The US and Russia are probably not really in a position to launch any new inhabitants or supplies up there(Cape Canaveral is in the Living Land, for example), and I'm not sure the astronauts have the capacity to return until a vehicle is sent up. Could potentially be a fun adventure there around rescuing the ISS astronauts as basically a publicity stunt/morale mission. Hmm, or what if another cosm (Pan Pacifica, Nile, or Cyberpapacy) sent a team up to capture it but it turns out to be a Core Earth hardpoint? I could see an adventure involving finding a country with a still functional space program, getting up there, fighting off agents of some other cosm in zero gee, then a return to Earth/splashdown potentially in a hostile reality's ocean.

In fact, now that I look at the map, Cape Canaveral is in a LL/CE mixed zone...might have to have an adventure about finding Launch Control, now hidden away in some sprawling ruin, and getting to a rocket before a T-Rex can rip it apart...

*scribbles furiously*

This is gold. I'm stealing it. I think this it'd be awesome if you publish this to the Infiniverse Exchange.

My concern about doing this right now in my campaign is that so far my group has seen a bunch of Tharkold and Cyberpapacy, so I haven't really throw them into the lower-tech items, but a mission where they travel through Living Land is a great mix.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

keltheos

Postby keltheos » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Oh my this is great.

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 am

Kuildeous wrote:
ryric wrote:I also ponder what the poor inhabitants of the ISS think of the invasion. The US and Russia are probably not really in a position to launch any new inhabitants or supplies up there(Cape Canaveral is in the Living Land, for example), and I'm not sure the astronauts have the capacity to return until a vehicle is sent up. Could potentially be a fun adventure there around rescuing the ISS astronauts as basically a publicity stunt/morale mission. Hmm, or what if another cosm (Pan Pacifica, Nile, or Cyberpapacy) sent a team up to capture it but it turns out to be a Core Earth hardpoint? I could see an adventure involving finding a country with a still functional space program, getting up there, fighting off agents of some other cosm in zero gee, then a return to Earth/splashdown potentially in a hostile reality's ocean.

In fact, now that I look at the map, Cape Canaveral is in a LL/CE mixed zone...might have to have an adventure about finding Launch Control, now hidden away in some sprawling ruin, and getting to a rocket before a T-Rex can rip it apart...

*scribbles furiously*

This is gold. I'm stealing it. I think this it'd be awesome if you publish this to the Infiniverse Exchange.

My concern about doing this right now in my campaign is that so far my group has seen a bunch of Tharkold and Cyberpapacy, so I haven't really throw them into the lower-tech items, but a mission where they travel through Living Land is a great mix.

Okay, Cape Canaveral is cool and all but wouldn't it be MUCH easier for the Nile Empire to get a moon launch out of Kazakhstan? It's closer and doesn't have dinosaurs stomping all over it.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 am

sandchigger wrote:Okay, Cape Canaveral is cool and all but wouldn't it be MUCH easier for the Nile Empire to get a moon launch out of Kazakhstan? It's closer and doesn't have dinosaurs stomping all over it.

*puts on The Tick costume*

"What's with all of this mumbo-jumbo? Science these days is all molecule, molecule, molecule! back in Pharoh Mobius' day, science worked in bold strokes! Bold! Strokes!"

*de-costumes*

It's the Nile Empire. You can have the Great Pyramid split open and launch the rocket out of THAT and it makes perfect sense. :D

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 am

In my oTorg game, Mobius kidnapped the entire Akashan council and the Storm Knights by attaching rockets to Machu Picchu and flying the whole thing to Africa.

That may have been over the top, even compared to my plot of Mobius planting stelae on Mars to create War-of-the-Worlds flying saucers.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 am

Aysle's invasion has brought the CE fey back (at least in oTORG and many Eternity games). A NE zone on Mars could easily 'wake' Barsoom or other Martian natives.

Misroi

Postby Misroi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 pm

There was a Torg LARP at a GenCon years ago, where the basic plot was that a group of Nile science villains were working towards something called "Project Ra." (Or something like that. It was awhile ago.) Nobody outside the PCs knew what Project Ra was, only that they were working towards it, and were close to completion.

And then, at the end of the first half, a massive pyramid lifted off from Thebes and into the sky. Project Ra gave Pharaoh Mobius a weapons platform in space, allowing him to rain down death on anyone who displeased him! This was when we were told that several factions had weaponry they could employ to try to destroy the pyramid - up to and including nuclear weapons. The Core Earth governments weren't too keen on firing nukes in general, but fortunately (?), the Japanese government had access and a historically myopic stance on nuclear weaponry, and fired a few. The normal missiles were destroyed by zap gun technology before it came close to the pyramid, while the nukes disappeared from radar. The space station seemed impervious.

At least until we all figured out what was happening. Project Ra was indeed designed to be an orbital weapons platform, but Mobius also realized that his super science was less useful against Core Earth's governments than he would like. Project Ra was designed, therefore, to be a target. Scanners would be designed to scan incoming weapons for radioactivity. If negligible amounts were detected, then the missiles were destroyed. If scanners showed the missile had nuclear warheads, it would use a different beam to arrest its flight and take it on board. In essence, the governments of Core Earth would arm Pharaoh Mobius with their own deadly weaponry! We ended up mocking up a nuke to give off appropriate levels of radiation, shielded the inside with lead to protect a small group of Storm Knights to fly up to Project Ra, and destroy it. Earth was saved!

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm

sandchigger wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:

*scribbles furiously*

Okay, Cape Canaveral is cool and all but wouldn't it be MUCH easier for the Nile Empire to get a moon launch out of Kazakhstan? It's closer and doesn't have dinosaurs stomping all over it.

If you're looking for an action adventure location, the Jabal Hamzah ballistic missile test and launch facility (oldest functioning ballistic missile installation in the developing world) is located at 30°07′32.7″N 30°36′18.5″E in the Nile Empire Cairo Zone.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Stewbacca

Postby Stewbacca » Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Watch the documentary "Above Majestic" According to that the nazis used submarines with anti-gravity devices to get to the moon and mars back in the 40's. They didn't need rocket launch sites, just used the anti-gravity devices, plus a propulsion system and according to the documentary, the fact that submarines go under water makes the suitable for space travel as well. It is full of just that kind of kookyness... Plus the lizard people living under antarctica!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”