Converting Before the Dawn [repost]

Arcesilaus

Converting Before the Dawn [repost]

Postby Arcesilaus » Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 am

I think I originally posted this in the wrong place, but I can't figure out how to move a topic (if that's even possible). So, I'm copying the original post to this forum in the hopes that I've put it in the right place this time. Thanks!

Hi, all.

So I am in the middle of running a conversion of Before the Dawn, and, though I've left most of the adventure as is, I'm looking for some suggestions/guidance for the final act.

In my version of the adventure, the idea for the "Still World" was born in the twisted mind of Dr. Mobius. As soon as the idea for the invasion was put together, he seized on the plan to become Torg and started working on the machine. Immediately upon arrival on Core Earth, he had the machine placed on a seismically advantageous location in Russia, inside a semi-dormant volcano. I've made Gibberfat a techno-demon, and he is being paid by Mobius to guard the device. The payments have been various weird science devices that cause pain and/or dominate thralls more easily, but the most recent payment was supposed to be a plant from the Living Land that can cause all sorts of physical sensations (most folks call them "torture vines," though). This payment was intercepted by the PCs in Ohio, though they don't know what it is for yet.

So, the PCs need to fly the PBY from Thebes to the very eastern edge of the Blasted Land, find the repurposed Soviet military bunker/research center located in the volcano, pay off or defeat Gibberfat, then descend into the core of the volcano, and find/deactivate the Device. That's all straight-forward.

Where I need advice is in imagining appropriate adversaries for the PCs. I imagine there's a weird scientist on site, maintaining the Device and keeping it from transforming, but we've already seen both a weird scientist and a kidnapped scientist forced to work against his will. Who else might be here? What sorts of troops might he have? Is there a cool feature to the setting that I could utilize in the final fight that I haven't considered? I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks in advance.
Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts

jhosmer1

Re: Converting Before the Dawn [repost]

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Well, one thing you could definitely keep is "Gibberfat's" desire for a Faberge Egg... it even fits with Russia.

I find myself thinking that "Gibberfat" doesn't even know that Mobius is using him as a guard dog. Mobius sent a suitably sycophantic servant with gifts for the technodemon under the guise of conducting experiments in the Blasted Lands to improve Nile Reality Bombs. The demon is too lazy to look into the actual experiments that the Weird Scientist is conducting.

If you haven't already told them it's in a volcano, might I suggest another place? Eastern Russia is not a vary seismically active place. A radioactive crater, however, would be Tharkold appropriate.

I would put the scientist in a large power suit (perhaps something like the Big Daddies of Bioshock, complete with a drill arm). It helps with the volcano, and the entire place is radioactive from fallout, anyway. Give him some Pulp Perks to simulate the suit (Super Strength, Forcefield, electric ray) and you're good.

If you need something more, an Abomination from the Torg Eternity book would add some punch to the Weird Scientist fight.

After getting past Gibberfat and the scientist, the Storm Knights would have to travel deeper into the crater, where instead of skeletal pirates, you can have an oTORG monster from Creatures of Tharkold, the Nuclear Shadow. Spirits of those killed in the nuclear blast, I would add some sort of radioactive touch attack to the Ghost from Torg Eternity. Have them flying around while the Storm Knights need to conduct a Dramatic Skill Resolution to shut down the Infernal Device.

Hope this helps

Misroi

Postby Misroi » Wed May 09, 2018 3:18 pm

When I rebuilt "Before The Dawn" for my own oTorg purposes, I reworked the entire adventure, since the final encounter where the SKs deactivate the Infernal Machine and restart the Still Earth makes no internal sense with how everything works in Orrorsh! I ended up making the Infernal Machine a Horror in its own right, and things the PCs did to learn about it in earlier scenes gave them Perserverance points to deal with its Horror Rating (or whatever that was called back in the day).

I think I like your resolution better, though - making Gibberfat into a technodemon is way more interesting than the weird three stage fight that you meet him in from the original source. Tharkold doesn't get enough love. The infernal machine itself, therefore, should probably have people strung up inside it being subjected to all sorts of horrifying torture, like being impaled upon circuitry-enscribed spikes or their skin being surgically removed without anaesthetic. Their constant pain is what is powering the Infernal Machine, and a really cool DSR could be used to turn off the machine and maybe even save a few people.

thateffendude

Postby thateffendude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Before the Dawn was my first oTorg game and I loved it!

I am now looking to transfer that same experience to a new group of players who have nearly never played any version. (Did a Day One for them.)

I am a little concerned that stopping the Still Earth from happening is a bit of a huge feat for a starting group and may set the bar too high to have continuing adventures with them.

What were your experiences with that?

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 pm

There is a re-imagined version available on the Infiniverse Exchange by Paul Emerson at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... y-Blackout

It follows the same general course as the original with some changes.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Most of the tools to convert the adventure are already in Eternity. Mostly you just need stats for Gibberfat and maybe the skeleton pirates.

Act 1, Scene 1: edeinos warriors are in the core book, use edeinos priest (optant) from the Living Land book (remember it can invoke grasping plants without "knowing" the miracle while within the LL).

Scene 2: shocktroopers are in the core book, use Masked Marauder for Prof. Shariff with the Force Field perk and change Electro-Ray to Sonic-Ray.

Scene 3: borr aka are in the LL book.

Act 2, Scene 1: Col. Manotep is a reality-rated shocktrooper.

Scene 2: the seaplane and spitfires are in the core rules. Use a "Mob goon" from the Nile book for Shul.

Act 3, Scene 1: Gibberfat... admittedly this one has no direct parallels in what's been published so far. There are giant shark stats in the LL book or adventures I think, and you could use the minor demon stats from the core book (in the Cyberpapacy threat section) for his final form.

Scene 2: I would just use 1st planting gospog stats for the skeletal pirates, giving them short swords.
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Agreed on the gospogs. They don't get enough love and it introduces the PCs to them with their whole ecosystem.

Have the device ripping possibilities from hundreds of captured people through torture that powers the device, that's Tharkold. Maybe even having a whole interment camp for local Russian thralls/slave/power batteries, guarded with gospogs soldiers. Put it in chynobol so its cordoned off with the area protected by Russian soldiers who don't know what's going on at the camp.

Have some 1st planting and a couple of 2nd planting gospogs as enemies and the should be enough.

Personally I never liked the still earth, as someone said it put the bar too high for future adventures, plus we are talking about stopping the rotation of a planet that is still mostly CE. Remember all those disasters movies when that goes on? If it was a pulp cosm, then fair enough, but a 'near' earth one. Nope.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”