[Glory Locations] In case folks are interested in sharing

fougerec

[Glory Locations] In case folks are interested in sharing

Postby fougerec » Sat May 12, 2018 1:27 pm

There was a discussion in another thread about maybe sharing Glory result locations for other GMs to use (or not). May help with some feeling of a larger war without being NPC driven.

No reason we can't use the map here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll ... onDlAhY1d0

Our group had a Glory in The Viking Sea Zone and then one in the Denmark Zone. They ended up uprooting Aysle Stelae 14 which had disastrous results for the Goth Zone of Aysle, which collapsed without being buoyed up by a Glory and over 100,000 people disappeared.

(Timeline-wise this would have been around Day 98 of the invasion in our campaign)

Spatula

Re: [Glory Locations] In case folks are interested in sharing

Postby Spatula » Sat May 12, 2018 3:14 pm

My group got a glory in what I guess is the Moscow zone on Day 1. Though I'm not sure if that counts - it was after the first bridge was destroyed, so the zone wasn't active at the time, maybe?

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Spatula wrote:My group got a glory in what I guess is the Moscow zone on Day 1. Though I'm not sure if that counts - it was after the first bridge was destroyed, so the zone wasn't active at the time, maybe?

That actually may be a huge one. The point of instilling possibility energy is that it infuses ords to protect them from becoming what if''s when there is an axiom wash. I suspect the second bridge may have caused many Moscow ords to expire if they hadn't got that timely Glory. It counts, big time.

Halfway to St Petersburg from Narva in the Blasted Zone, my group got a Glory while defending some escaped thralls from mutant bikers. Not an area contained by stelae, but still nice to infuse the ords, and I described how the thralls came back in the fight against the mutants.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Sat May 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I've had a whole bunch in my game. For those who want to use them, here are my Glories and stela pulls:
- Pan-Pacific - Batanes Zone: Evacuated a resort from a jiangshi outbreak, saving them from the subsequent fuel-air bomb.
- Pan-Pacific Stela 43: Located on an offshore solar/geothermal power collector. Took down the Batanes and Tainan Zones. Tainan Zone was cleared for stela removal by unknown group.
- Tharkold - Tver Zone: Knocked out the computer systems of the local Tharkoldu overlord in Yaroslavl, allowing a resistance strike
- Tharkold - Nizhny Zone: Rallied the local survivors into an organized militia to resist Tharkoldu-sponsored raider gangs
- Tharkold Stela 4: Strike against a stela hidden inside an Orthodox church. Took down Tver and Nizhny Zones.
- Living Land - Tampa (??) Zone: Convinced a tribe of edeinos to fight against Baruk Kaah, established allies.
- Core Earth - off Nile Suez Zone: Defeated commerce-raiding villain Blackbeard.
- Nile Empire - Thebes Zone: Took out sub pen formerly belonging to Blackbeard, now controlled by his lieutenant, Red Jenny.
- Aysle - Wales Zone: Eliminated the leaders of the opposing force while assisting a Light ritual to reinforce Stonehenge.
- Cyberpapacy - Le Mans Zone: Rescued a Resistance leader from GodNet interrogation in Nantes.
- Orrorsh - Nepal Zone: Defeated an attack of undead on a temple hardpoint.
- Brazil - Brasilia: Hacked Brazil's intelligence agencies' systems, planting evidence against the Cyberpapacy and breaking down interagency politics, before the Cyberpapal invasion.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 am

Core Earth - Warsaw. Generated two (2!!) glories in a pitched battle with Cyberpapal forces onboard the Russia-Paris express train while attempting to stop the Cyberpapacy from transporting an eternity shard to Avignon.

Arcesilaus

Postby Arcesilaus » Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 am

Living Land - Ohio Zone: Generated a glory freeing Dr. Marlen, his daughter Hildy, and his digging machine from the clutches of NIle troopers on a mission to trade LL- attuned reality bombs to Baruk Kaah's forces in exchange for a "torture vine."

PS: The torture vine is for a tharkoldu working with Mobius and the reality bombs are actually still attuned to the Nile Empire. Mobius is tricksy.
Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Spatula wrote:My group got a glory in what I guess is the Moscow zone on Day 1. Though I'm not sure if that counts - it was after the first bridge was destroyed, so the zone wasn't active at the time, maybe?

That actually may be a huge one. The point of instilling possibility energy is that it infuses ords to protect them from becoming what if''s when there is an axiom wash. I suspect the second bridge may have caused many Moscow ords to expire if they hadn't got that timely Glory. It counts, big time.

Halfway to St Petersburg from Narva in the Blasted Zone, my group got a Glory while defending some escaped thralls from mutant bikers. Not an area contained by stelae, but still nice to infuse the ords, and I described how the thralls came back in the fight against the mutants.

And I realized that I had treated the Blasted Zone as Dominant Tharkold before; so as a result of the glory (ahem :oops: ) it is now Mixed. What the players don't know won't hurt them. :lol: Seriously though, I wish I could say I was smart enough to think of doing that on purpose, it's a very nice effect, and I may allow a Glory that gets seeded to flip a dominant zone to Mixed in the future, at least temporarily.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

keltheos

Postby keltheos » Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 pm

What would eventually negate a Glory result? A comparable action by the invading Cosm within that area? Suppression/Oppression/Overthrow...

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon May 14, 2018 6:02 pm

keltheos wrote:What would eventually negate a Glory result? A comparable action by the invading Cosm within that area? Suppression/Oppression/Overthrow...

Sure, which we can assume is ongoing stuff. I am thinking the result just fades over time.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

keltheos wrote:What would eventually negate a Glory result? A comparable action by the invading Cosm within that area? Suppression/Oppression/Overthrow...

I started to write an explanation for why the results of a Glory would eventually run out, but I realized it kind of doesn't - at least not the way you'd think.

I don't think there's anything that negates the result, per se. But consider the mechanics behind the whole thing.

First, a High Lord places/activates a stela, enforcing their own reality on an invaded area. Over time, people there transform - and doing so drains them of possibility energy.

If you then remove the stela, or remove the transformed people from the area, they will then again be exposed to a foreign reality. Over time, they will transform again. But this time they don't have any possibility energy to fuel the transformation - so instead they go poof. The point of a Glory result (or three) is to refill those ords with possibility energy so they can survive another transformation.

So, my first thought was that "Sure, you refill the ords, but eventually they will be drained again." But that's not the case - they've already been transformed, so the Everlaws aren't gunning for them anymore. However, it does make sense that the direct effects of the Glory are limited in time - there will be new people transforming after the Glory is spread.

Let's say Alice, Bengt, and Cecilia live in Växjö which gets invaded by Aysle. After a while, Alice transforms, and is now devoid of possibilities. Bengt and Cecilia still hold on to their Core Earth reality. Then one day, they hear word of a group of foreigners who slew the mighty troll of Fylleryd Woods. Alice is reinvigorated. Bob and Cecilia still think it's a cool story, but since they already have the miniscule levels of possibility energy ords are capable of holding, they're not affected by it. At this point, if someone tears up the stela on Öland or Jutland, they will be fine. Alice will eventually retransform to Core Earth, leaving her once again devoid of possibilities.

But let's say our group of foreigners are dragging their feet after infusing the area with their Glory. They wait a month, then another, and then a third. By now, Bob has also transformed to Aysle, and he did so after word of their Glorious deed spread. So he's emptied out. If they pull the stela now, Alice and Cecilia are safe, but Bob will eventually go poof.

I'm thinking that there should probably be a grace period of some sort in which the Glory is still "echoing" in the zone, refilling any ords that get drained, but I'm not sure how long that period should be.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”