Cyberpapacy aesthetic

Sword of Spirit

Cyberpapacy aesthetic

Postby Sword of Spirit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:23 pm

There aren't a lot of pictures of what it looks like in the Cyberpapacy yet, so I figured this is a great time to talk about what I think would be *awesome* for when we do get those pictures. :D

I really want to see a strong cyberpunk aesthetic. In addition to Malreaux holograms, and occasional people walking around with cyberware, I'd love for it to be really shown that this isn't the Europe we know anymore at least in the cities (could be a contrast with rural areas). Neon everywhere, chrome, electronic terminals, etc. And despite the utopian propaganda, the bad parts of town are still looking bad -- which could make the GodNet even more tempting of an escape.

With the flying cars and all, it just screams to show distopian futuristic cities with not strictly necessary electronics in the architecture and people with green mohawks -- 'cause awesome.

Scaramouche

Re: Cyberpapacy aesthetic

Postby Scaramouche » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:37 am

Torg is a particularly interesting game in that there are actually three Cosms that break apart and represent the Cyberpunk aesthetic - Cyberpapacy, Tharkhold, and Pan-Pacifica. While Tharkhold has the more dystopian Mad Max elements, Pan-Pacifica holds the corporate intrigue / runners in the shadows / conspicuous consumption elements of Cyberpunk (ie. marketing everywhere, etc).

The Cyberpapacy holds the surveillance state / speakeasy type themes of cyberpunk. And adds a fascinating layer of ostentatious religiosity. So, definitely soaring holographic displays, but as a high-tech evolution of Cathedrals. The anguish of Saints, hosts of angels, that sort of thing. More CyberBaroque than Cyberpunk is my vision. An important part of cyberpunk is also the form that subversion takes. So, in Tharkhold, it's a mix of anarchic behavior and organized political resistance. In Pan-Pacifica, it's class warfare. And in Cyberpapacy, well, it's sin vs. virtue. I like to imagine a dramatic rise in hedonism and kink underground in response to the overwhelming pressure to be 'good' in a very prescribed way.

My two cents!

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 am

I find that mixing old and new works well. Played up the religious angle and especially the piety score and how it ties in to social standing. Lots of older buildings - stone, stained glass, gothic architecture combined with neon and LED. I think Pan Pacifica should be more modern looking in terms of the buildings and Tharkhold more run down and ruinous.

I love the term CyberBaroque!!

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 pm

How about Cyberococo? Or since it’s specifically French, Cyberocaille.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am

I'm not sure it makes me good person, but for me Cyberpapacy aesthetic is a lot of Warhammer 40K.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 am

Aenno wrote:I'm not sure it makes me good person, but for me Cyberpapacy aesthetic is a lot of Warhammer 40K.

Maybe a 40K, Blade Runner 2049 mashup. For me Cyberpunk needs to have that near constant neon glow over the darkness and rain.

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am

fougerec wrote:
Aenno wrote:I'm not sure it makes me good person, but for me Cyberpapacy aesthetic is a lot of Warhammer 40K.

Maybe a 40K, Blade Runner 2049 mashup. For me Cyberpunk needs to have that near constant neon glow over the darkness and rain.

Well, I'm not sure. I mean, in a lot of cyberpank novels there is a contrast between neon-lighted and glowing "main cities" and "underworld" where all this neon is dimmed. Central levels of hives are well-lit - with flavour "torches" and "lamps", but I'm not sure Cyberpapacy would use a lot of half-naked purple women as well.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am

Aenno wrote:Well, I'm not sure. I mean, in a lot of cyberpank novels there is a contrast between neon-lighted and glowing "main cities" and "underworld" where all this neon is dimmed. Central levels of hives are well-lit - with flavour "torches" and "lamps", but I'm not sure Cyberpapacy would use a lot of half-naked purple women as well.

I think I'd put the grimdark 40K aesthetics into more of a Tharkhold ambiance.

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

oTorg Cyberpapacy had this really creepy mashup of Catholic trappings mashed with Cyberpunk. I'd use the more corporate aspect of manga like Ghost in the shell to represent most of the Cyberpapacy.

But there is another layer of the society that exist on the fringe. I don't know if they'll keep it but addiction to chips and the Godnet were pretty important in the previous iteration. I guess that the Piety score and the advent of social networking may add a twist on it.

Both for the Cyberpapacy and Pan Pacifica we lack information on how the fringes do survive when someone as powerful as a high Lord exists. In oTorg the insurgency was possible because of the split attention on the Possibility War. And the adapting to the technology surge for Malraux.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Plageman wrote:oTorg Cyberpapacy had this really creepy mashup of Catholic trappings mashed with Cyberpunk. I'd use the more corporate aspect of manga like Ghost in the shell to represent most of the Cyberpapacy.

But there is another layer of the society that exist on the fringe. I don't know if they'll keep it but addiction to chips and the Godnet were pretty important in the previous iteration. I guess that the Piety score and the advent of social networking may add a twist on it.

Both for the Cyberpapacy and Pan Pacifica we lack information on how the fringes do survive when someone as powerful as a high Lord exists. In oTorg the insurgency was possible because of the split attention on the Possibility War. And the adapting to the technology surge for Malraux.

I've been thinking about this myself with regard to the Cyberpapacy, and my solution includes something that is going to affect our adventure in a couple of weeks. (the devil herself)

My head canon is that the Cyberpapacy, and possibly all the invading cosms to some lesser degree, is not completely united in purpose. There are in fact, several major factions working at cross purposes:

Malreaux - The High Lord has a fairly wicked agenda in converting the entire populace into machines, but as evil as he is, he has good intentions. He truly believes he is righteous. He exerts his influence through the Church Police and Inquisitors. Malreaux is personally very powerful, but he does not have absolute control over his realm. His military forces are very small and defensive in nature; they get invited in, they don't fight their way in. His police force has great authority and surveillance, but they can't be everywhere, and the Social axiom limits their response time and overall ability to react to the massive amount of data collected severely. And he has many enemies.

Ebenuscrux - The Darkness Device is using Malreaux like a tool and probably plans to discard him at some point. A perfectly ordered machine is not what Darkness Devices seek, they want to merge with a High Lord who will become Torg. They want the infinite void. They want ultimate destruction. Ebenuscrux exerts his influence through the Godnet and the hard holograms that it projects into AR. I think Ebenuscrux, as a masterful Internet troll, also likes to fuck with Malreaux. He probably feels it is good to test his High Lord, but I also think he (it?) must enjoy it.

Lucifer - Yep, the devil, at least the one of the One True Way religion. I'm actually running her next week. I made her a woman to throw them off a little, she's not necessarily going to introduce herself until the end of the conversation, but the plan is that she will try to strike a deal with the Storm Knights, one that will hurt Malreaux (which is good) but probably helps her (bad). She lives in the realm but is a skilled decker and roams the Godnet too, and isn't directly controlled by Ebenuscrux. He views her and her "children" as anomalies in the cosm, hardware/software bugs. She exterts her influence through dark magic and demons of infinite descriptions, and her caretaker demons tend to the gospog fields. So, yeah, she has an agreement with the Gaunt Man and Malreaux knows this and is very annoyed by it. "Don't worry...your 'eminience'. This plague of my making will help you look like a savior."

The Fifth Column - Not everyone in the Church is loyal to Malreaux. There is both good and bad in the Malreaux Bible and this secretive faction seeks to follow the parts they believe in. Some are in the realm, some in the Godnet. They have existed for many years, but now see that the end times are near with this invasion and they are starting to take action. They support the Resistance when they can, but not even the Resistance knows about them yet. The Storms Knights might make contact if they succeed. They have some secret miracles that allow them to avoid discovery by the Inquisition. I'm using them also to rationalize heroic followers of Malreaux's religion. There is a quiet schism in the Church, right now really a weak splinter, but something that could grow.

So the Fringe is out there because Malreaux really isn't that powerful. His weakness is that there are other major factions with conflicting goals, not the least of which is his Darkness Device. So regular people who live their lives aren't necessarily living "sin free" and there are towns like Cairo in the Nile Empire where the Church lets people live without too much oppression and control. I'm thinking about making Toulouse one of them because of the Glory they played there last time. The Church doesn't have a big enough military or police force to patrol everywhere, so they set up the surveillance and hope that the panopticon effect keeps people's heads down, and they've also found that they can control the population better if they let them blow off steam.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”