Kaijus in Torg

Gargoyle

Kaijus in Torg

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am

Sidney was devastated by a huge creature from the ocean, and London assaulted by 100ft tall giants. Eventually my players are going to want to fight one of these things.

Genre is important, and so there is a big difference story-wise between these incidents. How would you handle such an event?

My initial thoughts are that one approach is that the Storm Knights don't directly fight such a thing, they do other things to try to minimize the damage, rescue people, and maybe helping someone who can oppose it directly.

Directly fighting it would be more satisfying, and seems particularly in genre for both kaiju movies and epic fantasy, perhaps after powering up and sizing up somehow with a mech or magic or whatever. The trick is to fit this into Torg as an RPG without them using the same mechanic when it's "out of genre" for instance against a High Lord or whatever, though I could see them stepping on Baruk Kaah being fun too on ocassion, I don't want it to be a way to cheese anything, but i do think there should be a way to do this, perhaps by scaling the encounter in sort of the same way that other games do. I remember how d6 Star Wars used to have different scales; for instance people were one scale, vehicles another, then starships, and then capital ships, or something like that. Torg's logrithmic scale could work just using the standard rules, but again you get the "I step on Baruk Kaah" problem. :)

So I don't really know how to do this yet, but I know it's a fight I need to get ready to run in the next few months because the Sidney news has them excited. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

johntfs

Re: Kaijus in Torg

Postby johntfs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am

Gargoyle wrote:Sidney was devastated by a huge creature from the ocean, and London assaulted by 100ft tall giants. Eventually my players are going to want to fight one of these things.

Genre is important, and so there is a big difference story-wise between these incidents. How would you handle such an event?

My initial thoughts are that one approach is that the Storm Knights don't directly fight such a thing, they do other things to try to minimize the damage, rescue people, and maybe helping someone who can oppose it directly.

Directly fighting it would be more satisfying, and seems particularly in genre for both kaiju movies and epic fantasy, perhaps after powering up and sizing up somehow with a mech or magic or whatever. The trick is to fit this into Torg as an RPG without them using the same mechanic when it's "out of genre" for instance against a High Lord or whatever, though I could see them stepping on Baruk Kaah being fun too on ocassion, I don't want it to be a way to cheese anything, but i do think there should be a way to do this, perhaps by scaling the encounter in sort of the same way that other games do. I remember how d6 Star Wars used to have different scales; for instance people were one scale, vehicles another, then starships, and then capital ships, or something like that. Torg's logrithmic scale could work just using the standard rules, but again you get the "I step on Baruk Kaah" problem. :)

So I don't really know how to do this yet, but I know it's a fight I need to get ready to run in the next few months because the Sidney news has them excited. :)

Sure, you can step on Baruk Kaah - unless Baruk Kaah calls on his incredibly potent spiritual abilities to shrink you down to the point where he scoops you up and eats you.

Don't say "No" to something cool because it might cause problems later if someone abuses that something. Just be ready to abuse the abuser(s) if/when that happens.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Roll with it. Have an experimental mech that they can use but will fall apart so they have to use DSR.

Or a spell that will defeat the giant, but it takes a month to cast so they have to lure it to a specific spot to kill it using DSR.

Or an experimental gun that is inheirtently unstable, but as soon as they take it out of xxx they reality storms causes it to wink out of existence.

Or it gets stolen..

Or the Delphi Council take it away to be used else where by another team ...
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:51 pm

johntfs wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Sidney was devastated by a huge creature from the ocean, and London assaulted by 100ft tall giants. Eventually my players are going to want to fight one of these things.

Sure, you can step on Baruk Kaah - unless Baruk Kaah calls on his incredibly potent spiritual abilities to shrink you down to the point where he scoops you up and eats you.

Don't say "No" to something cool because it might cause problems later if someone abuses that something. Just be ready to abuse the abuser(s) if/when that happens.

I like to say yes. But in this case I don't think it is cool to give them a toy like a huge mech and then punish them for using it effectively. I think it's cheesy and bad for the game. And what I might feel is abusive might be thought of as clever by some players. Players like feeling clever, and I want that, but I don't want that conflict between me and them, and I don't want them to ever feel like I'm punishing them for doing what they think is clever, which is why I think this situation requires a bit more thought and planning. I don't want to move the goalposts on them either.

I do think that the stuff like Pacific Rim or Voltron style mechs are doable in Torg, but I also feel it can cause problems and I'm seeking to avoid that.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Roll with it. Have an experimental mech that they can use but will fall apart so they have to use DSR.

Or a spell that will defeat the giant, but it takes a month to cast so they have to lure it to a specific spot to kill it using DSR.

Or an experimental gun that is inheirtently unstable, but as soon as they take it out of xxx they reality storms causes it to wink out of existence.

Or it gets stolen..

Or the Delphi Council take it away to be used else where by another team ...

All decent solutions. But they imply one off type scenarios. While I don't want this game to turn into Battlemech, I would like to come up with something repeatable. I see it as a facet of Pan-Pacifica I'd like to explore more, and not just once or twice, and using these ideas repeatedly would be contrived.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

<leans back on her chair>

;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm

TorgHacker wrote:<leans back on her chair>

;)

<Shakes fist>
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 am

If your players are veteran enough to want to fight a 100 foot tall giant, then you don't need to give them a special toy to do it. Let them just use the existing tools and stuff from several cosms to figure it out. just give them a decent idea of what they are facing so they can be ready. This is not something an Alpha level team should be encountering.

Anything that big typically has weaknesses - they can exploit them. Some thoughts:

- If it's possibility rated, a core earther can reality storm the beast (and drains its possibilities). There's a spell that does the same.
- If it's really that kind of a threat, open up the heavy weapons locker... let them pick.
- They should get plenty of warning the monster is on the way, and be able to set up their cards
- A combination of cards and perks, against a possibility drained enemy, should enable a vital blow with a heavy weapon or three, along with some coup de grace cards
- Other effects, like Stun (spell), certain interactions (depending on which it's vulnerable to), etc. can slow it down
- There's always the Martyr card... if someone wants to try a new character

If the players need help, one-shots can always help, but I'd suggest being careful. Players don't get a whole lot of satisfaction from:

"Here's a really big dangerous enemy! Now, I'm going to give you the one-use item to get rid of this enemy. OK, everyone do as you're told. Nice job. You win!"

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm

DSR?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:04 pm

pkitty wrote:DSR?

Dramatic Skill Resolution

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”