United States At War

Fuzzy

Re: United States At War

Postby Fuzzy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 pm

The port of Morehead City, NC is still in Core Earth and open to the sea which is quite close to Jacksonville, NC home of the 2nd Marine Division. This could then become quite the embattled bastion of resistance cut off from the world as it is by the North Carolina Zone.

That whole strip from Virginia Beach down to Morehead City should be a hotbed of resistance activity. I didn't know Morehead City had a port. That's really useful, thanks.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Though being the more "action movie" core earth I could see more redundancies being built into the power grid to cover megalomaniac terrorists blowing them up every few months ;)

Scaramouche

Postby Scaramouche » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:Though being the more "action movie" core earth I could see more redundancies being built into the power grid to cover megalomaniac terrorists blowing them up every few months ;)

Ah, yes, the historic "Die Hard Protocols".

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Indeed, the United States continues to export some food through open ports to various allies throughout the world, including those in the middle east and Asia.

and

With the ports of Los Angeles, Boston, and Corpus Christi open, sufficient opportunity exists to import weapons and munitions from NATO allies (including Germany and Japan) where shortages might emerge.

Of all the High Lords you'd expect Kanawa to mess with other High Lords for potential profit. Keeping LA open is the same as keeping the US open. Mexico is too chaotic and Canada's west coast is underdeveloped past Vancouver, so that's out for Pacific trade. I still think Reiko had a hand in thwarting the San Diego stelae.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Prince Rupert is a functioning port as well, and is a terminus of the Canadian National Railway.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Prince Rupert is a functioning port as well, and is a terminus of the Canadian National Railway.

I stand corrected, but two ports are still better than one.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 am

This is one of the resources I used (I really should list out the links and post them).

http://www.acwr.com/economic-development/rail-maps

The rail lines from Prince Rupert go east, then south through Vancouver. With Vancouver overrun, that route is closed. That means any resupply from Prince Rupert port to the southern united states on Canadian National would require shipping all the way east to Toronto and then south through Chicago (a journey of 5,000 miles each way, even if the Chicago route is open). If you combine Canadian National and Canadian Pacific, you can construct a route that cuts through North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, then south. That's maybe 4,000 miles each way (assuming no severe weather, and no track failures). In addition, Port Rupert has a container capacity of 1.35 million TEUs, vs. LA Port's capacity of 8.8 million TEUs (and much better connected rail lines). With Portland, Seattle, San Fran, and Vancouver down, LA is now the vast majority of the Pacific shipping lane. Moreover, once the Gulf of Mexico is cut off, back-up capacity through the Panama Canal not only takes longer, but becomes perilously dangerous (as others have noted).

Prince Rupert Port is certainly critically important, but I do think MadSci is correct...

"Keeping LA open is the same as keeping the US open."

If LA goes down, Kaah will cripple whatever is left of the US production capacity. So while there are a bunch of storm knights tromping around what is left of Washington D.C., the Delphi Council would do well to pay attention to this critical vulnerability. I can imagine the arguments among the joint Chiefs of Staff:

Some Old Four Star General: "Mr. President, we need our assets in San Diego! Not traipsing around rescuing small bands of refugees in the jungle! I don't know who these Delphi Council jokers are, but this is WAR!"

As to the ends justifying the means, that's always a tough line to walk. Sometimes, in war, sacrifices are made. I just saw The Imitation Game again the other day. MI6 deliberately let thousands die to keep the Nazis from realizing they had cracked Enigma. And it worked...

So while the military is sending their "best" resources to protect hard points and key strategic locations, the Delphi Council is stuck with a bunch of misfits to send after "lower priority" goals like finding eternity shards and investigating rumors.

Delphi Handler: "Honestly, if I had anyone else to send on this mission, I would send them. But you sorry lot are all we have... So suit up! What?? No, I don't mean put on your stupid costume... oh, whatever... Just get on the damn plane."

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 am

Fuzzy wrote:That means any resupply from Prince Rupert port to the southern united states on Canadian National would require shipping all the way east to Toronto and then south through Chicago (a journey of 5,000 miles each way, even if the Chicago route is open).

Worth noting that if the google map on the Infiniverse page is to be believed the main rail lines in Toronto are cut off by the Living Land. One of my friends lives right by one of the rail lines and the border to the realm is literally right across the road from his house lol.

Mark Malcolm

Postby Mark Malcolm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am

That whole strip from Virginia Beach down to Morehead City should be a hotbed of resistance activity. I didn't know Morehead City had a port. That's really useful, thanks.

Morehead City is where the Marine Corps embarks, or at least used to. Plus, you have Force Recon training out at Onslow Beach as well. The 2nd Mar Div headquartered out there could become a great center point of resistance. The Free City of Jacksonville could become a great Core Earth based mod because it's right on the border of the zone but still in Core Earth with an open port not far away. I can totally see the Delphi Council pressing Morehead City into service as a counter beachhead and J-ville as a stagging area for a counter invasion of the Living Lands. Shoot, as I'm typing this I can totally see the goal of the mod to be pushing into the LL to Fayetteville. You've got Fort Bragg (Airborne Rangers) along with an Army Spec Ops base there and tons of training facilities. Fort Bragg could EASILY be a hard point wtih the Rangers surrounded. An Edinos Optant smuggled out a Ranger who got in contact with the Delphi Council and they are organizing the Marines to push into the LL to break the siege and join up with the Army. You could even end up with Ranger Storm Knights performing jumps off the backs of pterodactyls driven by Ghost Walker Edinos beast riders. How cool would that be?
I may not agree with what you have to say but I will defend your right to say it to the very death.
Voltaire
http://www.firstchevalier.com
http://www.facebook.com/firstchevalierbooks

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 am

You could even end up with Ranger Storm Knights performing jumps off the backs of pterodactyls driven by Ghost Walker Edinos beast riders. How cool would that be?

Pretty frickin cool.

Plus, wingsuits!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”