Playlist for Cosms

johntfs

Re: Playlist for Cosms

Postby johntfs » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:29 pm

I like Disturbed's cover of "Sound of Silence" of The Cyberpapacy.

http://vimeo.com/144828601

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Prodigy this week, (more than usual :( ) & it occurs to me that a bunch of their stuff could work for Tharkold, & especially combats in Tharkold, e.g.

"Invaders must Die"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqFcc_l_Kk

or "Firestarter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

(videos may contain potty language)
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm thinking I'll find a classic pipe-organ playlist for when I run Orrorsh.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 pm

I am (slowly) working on an Aysle-centric game, and the soundtrack for Aysle-conquered Earth is going to be strictly acoustic, instrumental covers of popular Earth music.

This sort of thing.

The idea is to convey the atmosphere that this is Earth under an evil spell, not generic fantasyland. The survivors of the occupation are still singing Beatles songs, they just have to play them on a lute.

If and when they pop over to Aysle proper I will switch to generic fantasy orchestral stuff like LotR to convey the message that this is now 100% straight up generic ren-fair DnD-land.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 pm

I also think most songs from Postmodern Jukebox makes a Lot of sense for the Nile Empire.

mathey

Postby mathey » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I've been slowly building out my Roll20 campaign's playlists divided up between Cosms and moods/situations/types. Since we're in the midst of the Fires of Ra, most of the detail is currently in the Nile Empire. That has the following playlists:

Nile Empire Chase: music for Chases
Nile Empire Comedy: some lighter fare for comic beats
Nile Empire Dramatic: loud and expansive action cues
Nile Empire Fight: action cues
Nile Empire Heroics: triumphant cues, heroic themes for when the Knights achieve a victory or make a big entrance
Nile Empire Horror: for when things get scary beyond just regular suspense
Nile Empire Romance: for romantic scenes and emotional beats
Nile Empire Peril: action cues for dramatic skill resolutions and non-combat obstacles
Nile Empire Radio: diagetic music that one might find in the cosm
Nile Empire Suspense: your basic tension cues for investigations and sneaking around
Nile Empire Transition Music: cues for travel montages, openings, endings
Nile Empire Villainy: music that suggests a bad guy has appeared and is being bad

Most of this has been sourced from film scores, film score collections, or the soundtracks for video games.
Some of my personal favorite albums:

Cliffhangers! (Music From The Classic Republic Serials): This album is so great. Its a collection of newly recorded versions of cues from the original Republic Serials like Daredevils of the Red Circle and Perils of Nyoka. They were often recycled for use in other serials or even TV series years after the original release of those adventure films in theaters. While I love John Williams as much as the next guy, hearing these delightfully corny needle drops during our Torg Eternity game really helps set a mood. The Perils of Nyoka tracks on the album are particularly suited to the Nile Empire's flavor of early 20th century Orientalism.

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge: This is the music from the video game that came out back in '03, based on the alternative history board game about pulpy air combat. Its got a lovely mix of Korngold-flavor swashbuckling, generic programmer action cues, and old Hollywood whimsy. Good stuff.

Indiana Jones film scores: Pretty easy sell here; even Crystal Skull's soundtrack has good stuff on it.

Indiana Jones video game soundtracks: There's some decent re-assemblies of the music for Emperor's Tomb and Infernal Machine out there; I even recently found some of the cues from the Staff of Kings, a game I didn't even know existed. They can be a bit of a grab bag of very short tracks that you probably can't use and real gems, but if you're eager for more John Williams-esque bombast you could do a lot worse.

The Phantom: David Newman's score for the 1996 film version of the King Features jungle mystery man. As a soundtrack its merely passable - feels a bit like a tossed-off syndicated TV series score - but the parts with the African drumming and didgeridoo set a good mood.

The Rocketeer: The score for an under-seen and underappreciated '90s movie adapting the Dave Stevens comics, this soundtrack is maybe my second favorite James Horner work after his music for Glory. It has a very emotive and evocative mood to it, full of Golden Age Hollywood sentiment, and the action cues are superb.

The Shadow: Another score from another failed attempt at '30s era superheroics, this Jerry Goldsmith score really puts the weird in weird science. It makes good use of theremin, synth, and traditional orchestra, and if it feels a bit too tongue-in-cheek (like the movie) at times, your players probably won't mind. The percussion used for Shiwan Khan is particularly cool.

The Artist: The soundtrack for the French silent film comedy is a delightful treasure trove of era-appropriate popular music, comedic cues, and high melodrama. Good stuff, and not the sort of thing I would have thought of using before I listened to it.

Assorted 1930s MP3s: While some people are talking about modern covers of old songs (or modern covers of new songs done in a jazz style), you really can't beat the originals for setting a mood. The crackle, pop, and hiss of old records, the tinny audio range, and the earnest sentimentality of the hits of the era are very effective and a lot of it holds up quite well on its own. I also tracked down some songs that are either actual recordings of Egyptian and Middle Eastern musicians from the era OR novelty tracks by Western artists riffing on Arabic stuff.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 pm

For me it's currently:

Living Land - Into the Green (O'Erdenstern)
Nile Empire - Baccano! (anime), Into the Gold (O'Erdenstern)
Aysle - Into the Red (O'Erdenstern), Grand Themes Vol 1 (Sonic Liberty), Epic Trailer Vol 1 (Sonic Liberty)
Cyberpapacy - Noir (anime)
Tharkold - Into the white (O'Erdenstern), Orchestra of War Vol 1 (Sonic Liberty)
Pan-Pacifica - Madlax (anime), Agents and Spies (Sonic Liberty)
Orrorsh - anything from Nox Arcana, Pleiades (Kreng)
Core Earth - anything from Sonic Liberty

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”