How do people pull stelea?

FrankG

How do people pull stelea?

Postby FrankG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm

This is a setting question, not a rules question. So what are the characters physically/mentally/magically/spiritually doing when they are pulling a stela? Is it dependent on the cosm?

The same question applies for Nightmare/Dimthread Trees.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

mistervimes

Re: How do people pull stelea?

Postby mistervimes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Rules says that it's DSR using reality at each step. I imagine that it's physical labor while manipulating the threads of reality that anchor it in place. Realm Runner in the pickup truck with a tow chain, the Edienos wedging a spear in the joints, the Dwarf with a pickaxe, and so on.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Oh. Simple and obvious answer - they manipulating reality suppressing stellae.
What exactly does it mean? That's the same question as "what exactly reality skill do and how it works setting-wise"? I believe It's not exactly answered in Rulebook, but if I'm to speculate...

Reality is a spirit skill, so I don't think it's physical labor or mental one. I'd say it's imagining reality as you want it to see, concentrating on this vision hardly and doing some kind of supernatural strain to replace current reality on something you want. You, like, dream it hard. How do stormers feel it when they do it, I can't really say (AFAIK I'm not a reality-rated person), and, I believe, majority of stormers can't as well - they "just do it", and not always they even are aware of it. Reality change itself, I say, people can't perceive directly, but something inside them feels it and realizing in some individual way: somebody have tinnitus, somebody feels a pain in left thumb, somebody feels strawberry on tongue, somebody smells lavender. This feeling is always weird and can be very unsettling.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Even if there is no physical act, Torg is a cinematic RPG... so they at least have to put their finger to their temple like Professor X or dramatically reach out like Eleven.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm working with cinematic by stellae reaction.
But I do belive practice working with reality skill should be individual. Somebody would concentrate with temple fingering; somebody would strike it with axe. It's the question how it's simpler to a person to concentrate himself on some vision of reality, how he believes reality he needs came to.
In the end, no action is actually needed; but it's hard for people to acknowlege it. It's like... do you ever seen a man who clicking a pen thinking what to write? It's not really needed, but it's making thinking easier.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

sirjolt

Postby sirjolt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Wasn't there an example in oTorg where Quinn and The Yellow Crab were physically pulling up a stelae? I seem to recall it having to do with them realizing that people were dying as a result - Crab was to set the stelae back down but Quinn insists they keep pulling it out. Don't know if that is canon anymore but I always thought of it as, at least in part, a physical act.

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Unfortunately, this isn’t as simple as blowing it up or knocking it over. Stelae are anchors of reality itself, a parasite grafted to the core of the land it’s taken over. Uprooting one requires severing those ties by altering existence itself.

Also, actual destruction happens by axiom wash, not result of physical damage.

So, if reconnection or soaking wounds aren't require physical act, why uprooting the stella should? All this actions use the same skill with the same (non-physical) attribute, and by description it's not something physical.

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Aenno wrote:So, if reconnection or soaking wounds aren't require physical act, why uprooting the stella should? All this actions use the same skill with the same (non-physical) attribute, and by description it's not something physical.

There is no "should" about it from my point of view. I was just wondering how other's handled this. But to answer your question, from my point of view, the main difference between soaking wounds/reconnecting and uprooting stelea is the latter is much more dramatic. Uprouting stelea actually takes up an action as well and is part of a Dramatic Skill Resolution. Standing there for 5 rounds doing nothing and not really being able to do other things isn't very dramatic.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Our group pulled one in Aysle (sadly, domino effect collapsed multiple zones that weren't prepped) and I ran the tests as per the RAW but the characters were also doing different things to physically rip it up/topple it.

So the reality skill was the mechanics (explanation being, essentially, going through the various possible outcomes until they found the one where the stela was uprooted...like Doctor Strange in Infinity War) but at the same time the narrative was physically interacting with the stela. I think the final round the description was a massive TK shove at the same time reality finally "clicked in" and set itself permanently.

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 pm

I have a stealea pull plotted out in the episode after the next (they need to go to the Nile Empire for a material to weaken the Stellae resistance). Still need to work out the full setting of the pull.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”