Dinosaurs and Transformation

FrankG

Re: Dinosaurs and Transformation

Postby FrankG » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 am

Atama wrote:Page 243 of the Core Rules, describing the Living Land.

“The dinosaurs and other mighty beasts of the Living Land didn’t all arrive through a maelstrom bridge. Many are transformed reptiles or birds from Earth, warped by the axiom wash.”

I didn’t just make it up... ;)

Thanks Atama! I didn't mean to imply that you made it up at all.

Now, having (re-)read this... is there a difference between transforming over time and transforming and being "warped" by an axiom wash? I don't recall there being one detailed, but the wording here makes me ask.
Check out my new adventure: The Cape May Tribe - A three act adventure set in The Living Land

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 am

FrankG wrote:
Atama wrote:Page 243 of the Core Rules, describing the Living Land.

“The dinosaurs and other mighty beasts of the Living Land didn’t all arrive through a maelstrom bridge. Many are transformed reptiles or birds from Earth, warped by the axiom wash.”

I didn’t just make it up... ;)

Thanks Atama! I didn't mean to imply that you made it up at all.

Now, having (re-)read this... is there a difference between transforming over time and transforming and being "warped" by an axiom wash? I don't recall there being one detailed, but the wording here makes me ask.

It's poetic wording. There isn't a difference physically.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

darrell

Postby darrell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 am

Not looking for a ruling, just musing...

This would seem to impy that animals have the same single possibility as humans, and can survive an initial transformation. So, should something try to transform tham again, say changing Cosms or a Stella being destroyed, they would/could disolve into a what-if. Also, it could be possible to inspire them with a Glory card..

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:05 pm

How would this work regarding monsters?

I'm assuming most sentient species would keep their species (like elves, edeinos, etc), but what about their powers? Would contradictory abilities vanish? Makes sense.

But the more interesting question for me is how they initially cause contradictions in the first place. They can disconnect when a Surge happens in a reality they aren't native to, but it seems like if they use any active abilities that require a d20 roll (like a dragon breathing fire) they should have a chance to disconnect too. But...how do you decide on the axiom for these abilities? Aysle would probably be pretty tolerant of magical-type creatures from the Nile Empire or Orrorsh, for instance, so just "if it's not from this cosm and it does anything an animal couldn't do, it's a contradiction" wouldn't seem to cut it. It could just be that active powers on monsters don't count unless they specifically list an axiom, but that seems like they are cheating a bit. I suppose the features are inherent to the creature, unlike tech, magic, spirit, or social, so it could make sense.

I'm going to assume that creatures that need a certain axiom to exist (like Technodemons and other magical creatures) don't cease to exist when they would disconnect, but rather that it refers to them existing naturally in a cosm, because it would be pretty harsh the other way.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”