Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Wakshani

Re: Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Well *someone's* inclination just flipped to Evil!

As for the Cobra?

"Fortunately, my cowl is well-armored and I survived that cravenly blow!"

or,
"HAH HAH HAH, you fools! You fell for a body double! My 'shedded skin' as it were! Now, you face the TRUE Hooded Cobra!"

or,
*door closes* *Hooded Cobra stands there, pistol levelled at the defenseless hero* "You killed my father in cold blood. Beg for mercy."

Plenty of options if you want him back, or, move the Hourglass to the top of the villain pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giIaYfcYWRs

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:22 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:...the Core Earth Realm Runner calmly walked up and fired a short burst of shotgun blasts right into the back of his head while he was unconscious.

:o

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:33 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:My group momentarily captured the Hooded Cobra in the train when he was knocked out by a Thunder Brew. While the rest of the PCs were discussing what to do with him the Core Earth Realm Runner calmly walked up and fired a short burst of shotgun blasts right into the back of his head while he was unconscious. He was somewhat reprimanded by the rest of the party and Snowflake.

Now the question become, to have Hooded Cobra return somehow? Seems a bit blatant even by Nile Empire standards... or have someone else take charge of the operation...

You could always have the person killed be someone who was with Operation Eris, and not the Hooded Cobra. That'll show'em.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:09 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:My group momentarily captured the Hooded Cobra in the train when he was knocked out by a Thunder Brew. While the rest of the PCs were discussing what to do with him the Core Earth Realm Runner calmly walked up and fired a short burst of shotgun blasts right into the back of his head while he was unconscious. He was somewhat reprimanded by the rest of the party and Snowflake.

Now the question become, to have Hooded Cobra return somehow? Seems a bit blatant even by Nile Empire standards... or have someone else take charge of the operation...

It would be entirely within the NE's genre for an intrepid reporter, from the Cairo Comet, to have been hidden away in that railway car and to break the "scoop" on the front page, leading to a significant PR dent for the Delphi Council, which could damage their rep on the international stage.

I've got at least one, *ahem* "extreme pragmatist" in my group, and have made it clear that the DC is as much concerned with winning a PR war, to get widespread CE backing for its efforts, as they are with actually directly thwarting the High Lords.
I've said that while the DC might have use for murder-hobos in some of their darker ops, such operatives are likely to be sent on missions where their trigger happiness is less likely to embarrass the DC. They'd be working undercover without any direct DC support (or authority), so their actions could be disavowed if necessary. And would be the agents most likely to be sent on missions to out of the way places where there's little risk of any "collateral damage", like the depths of Tharkold, Orrorsh, or the Living Land. :twisted:
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 am

*knock on door*

Recently-terminated Delphi Agent, "Go away."

*knock repeats*

*louder* "I SAID go a-WAY!"

*knock repeats*

*rolls out of bed angrily*

*knock repeats*

*muttering* "son of a..." *stomps towards door*

*knock repeats*

*flings open the door* "WHAT?!"

Two men in suits stand outside. The one in front says, "I was given to understand a betrayed soldier lived here."

"Soldier? Betrayed? What?!"

The lead man withdraws a wallet from his inner pocket. Flipping it open, it reads 'Storm Break'. "May we come in?"

… *he steps aside*

*two men enter*

*three men leave*

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:47 pm

You could always have the person killed be someone who was with Operation Eris, and not the Hooded Cobra. That'll show'em.

This would work, but will feel extremely arbitrary from a player perspective. It's like the DM saying to the player: "What, you killed me hero? I'll show you!" Because the GM knows that if the villain was not killed, the villains would not have been a hidden hero. This type of behavior causes players to very rapidly lose respect for a GM... they see the GM as unable to run the game without "cheating". This has a devastating effect on games.

I'd suggest if a GM wants to do that, she or he has the player roll a die, and on a 1-4 it's an agent of Operation Eris. This feels a lot less arbitrary... if the player rolls a 1-4, then they suffer the consequences. If they don't, then they know that next time they MIGHT, and they're taking that risk.

*door closes* *Hooded Cobra stands there, pistol levelled at the defenseless hero* "You killed my father in cold blood. Beg for mercy."

This works, but only in the Nile Empire. In Orrorsh, they might have to make a corruption roll. But what about other realms, like Tharkhold, PP, or Living Land where this type of behavior might be perfectly within social norms?

Here's an in-game alternative that leverages the metagame rules:

The primary game mechanic difference between Storm Knights (heros) and Stormers (whether neutrals or villains), is that Storm Knights are held to higher standards, BUT they get a lot of help. This help manifests as cards, which represents hidden support from the Everlaws to balance the scales.

So, if a PC slips toward actions that a Stormer might take, start cutting their card pool. (Drop the pool size to 3 for an adventure.) If the behavior continues, keep dropping the pool size. The DM can explain that they feel as if they are losing their connection something greater and deeper than themselves. If it really keeps up, they may find that something ELSE reaches out to connect with them.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:19 pm

The thing is, when you get down to it the Law of Morality is a minor law that generally assures that enemies are captured and not just killed, but it is still a part of the Nile Empire reality. Storm Knights in general (and Realm Runners especially) are all about using their own axioms and invoking their own realities so acting this way is just reinforcing his own (admittedly warped if you read his "bio") Core Earth morals instead of Nile ones.

Plus the Law of Heroism also directly states that violent anti-heroes still exist so I figure it's still within theme.

Now on the other hand, there are many social non-mechanical drawbacks he's going to find out about. Shafira was right there and was suitably disgusted by the callous act so he's kind of being given a less-than-ideal description in the Cairo Clarion. Also Snowflake gave him a dressing down and Raven was pissed off that he essentially wasted all their time working to investigate the Hooded Cobra. So he's kind of the in the Nile Delphi-Council and Mystery Mens shit list.

Also, since he obviously doesn't care for the whole "taking prisoners" thing from the Law of Morality than I see no reasons for the enemies to anymore either. If they get a chance he will be the one executed to show how serious a situation is.

I just need to figure out who is running the show now, I'm thinking Mirage.

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:I just need to figure out who is running the show now, I'm thinking Mirage.

The Cowled Asp? *grin* (HC's younger, jealous but adoring, brother)

Yes, it's cheesy AF, but we're talking NE villains here. *shrug*
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Wotan wrote:
Greymarch2000 wrote:I just need to figure out who is running the show now, I'm thinking Mirage.

...as the Cloaked Viper bides his time...
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Atama wrote:
Wotan wrote:

...as the Cloaked Viper bides his time...

And from the shadows, the Masked Moccassin, the true power behind H.I.S.S. (High Inquisitors of the Supreme Snakes) cackles gleefully as the heros play right into his handssssss . . . .

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”