Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

hawaiianbrian

Re: Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby hawaiianbrian » Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 am

Fuzzy wrote:If I could ask for one supplement to help with open ended adventures, it would be a rogues gallery / monster/enemy manual, with each rogue having a mini subplot or background to hook in. I started writing one several months back, but just don't have the time for it.

I'd also like to see a "Creatures of..." book, though preferably a bit different than the ones made for oTorg, in that I think it should cover all the realms, and not dedicate an entire page + art to each threat. The best time to do this would be right after all the realm books and adventures are out. Then we could compile every single stat block into one tome!

I tend not to use subplots and backgrounds when it comes to these kinds of books. For that, I look to things like Queenswrath, a book full of plot seeds. Which I'd also like to see at some point. Another forum user suggested we run with "Cassie's Notebook" from the Fires of Ra adventure, which would also be neat.

By the way, sorry to hear your GM didn't find much use for the crash + Bedouin portion of Act 2, but he did exactly what I expect all GMs to do at some point: Skip it and do what comes naturally instead. We writers can't predict what every table will need or want; All we can do is compile the adventure as we see it and trust GMs to adjust accordingly. I've done the same thing when running games. I took over running a Pathfinder campaign just as we started Book 5, and I jettisoned most of the dungeons and majorly streamlined the adventure (I find D&D and Pathfinder's dungeons way too long and not very logical). When I ran Princes of the Apocalypse for D&D 5e, I cut stuff and added stuff all over the place, and in fact changed some major plot points. Ultimately, any published adventure is nothing more than a tool kit... Some GMs might use it as-is, where others might cut, add, and modify all kinds of stuff. That's just as it should be.

Truth be told, there were several things I'd probably do differently if I were writing Fires of Ra today, and Acts 1 & 2 would get the biggest changes. Act 2 could have made a good mini-sandbox. Hopefully your GM will find the other acts more useable as-is. It's a done deal now, but rest assured that we're using different methods in other adventures. Sometimes we'll have plot scripts, other times we'll have open areas with a goal but no given plan.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am

It's a paradox. We want to buy an adventure that can handle our wildly unpredictable and creative players. But when we receive said mythical beast, we end up not using portions of it because of our wildly unpredictable and creative players.

I wrote a 70-page scenario for Living Greyhawk to be run within a 4-hour convention time slot. I thought it was pretty good. I had many NPCs to interact with, including some red herrings. I had several locations. I set it up so that the plot should be solvable after visiting 3 or 4 of the dozen or so plot points. I was really happy with how robust I made it, but it was also sad because a typical group wasn't going to see all of it (also, the GMs dreaded prepping the adventure).

And I feel a little sad when I have an adventure that won't all be experienced by the players. For example, Burden of Glory was written in a way where the group won't experience everything. Without getting into spoilers, the players have a choice to make, and that choice could involve striking entire pages from the adventure. I could likely recycle that content in a future act, though.

I'd love for an adventure to include everything I need for the session, but that's not always true I sometimes will have to introduce new elements, and sometimes I have to pitch some elements in the adventure and hope to use them later in a different form.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Hopefully your GM will find the other acts more useable as-is. It's a done deal now, but rest assured that we're using different methods in other adventures. Sometimes we'll have plot scripts, other times we'll have open areas with a goal but no given plan.

Oh, I'm sure he'll find other uses for cut scenes... He's a ruthless cannibal when it comes to adventure content.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Kuildeous wrote:And I feel a little sad when I have an adventure that won't all be experienced by the players. For example, Burden of Glory was written in a way where the group won't experience everything. Without getting into spoilers, the players have a choice to make, and that choice could involve striking entire pages from the adventure. I could likely recycle that content in a future act, though.

To make you feel even better due to mucking around with cosm cards my group only got to do one of the things. :D

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm

My group have just finished the 2nd Act. I don't have the PDF in front of me atm, but is there anything that says once the door to the temple is open, it cant be closed again? Because the PCs closed the door after they entered the Temple...

All the PCs 'died' in the sand trap and were 'rescued' by Lady Hourglass (Hooded Cobra was killed in act 1) before they got the Eye. Lady hourglass got the eye and boarded the train etc... and they finished act 2. But a player pointed out, how could the villains rescue them if the door to the temple was closed and the was septure is the only thing that can open it?

Maybe there needs to be revision notes for the adventure after print.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm

The only thing that is mentioned about the scepter is that it opens the door. It does not say one can close the door with it.

In fact, there is a sidebar that discusses what happens if the villains got the scepter instead of the heroes. In that case, the seal is open when the heroes arrive.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 am

TorgHacker wrote:The only thing that is mentioned about the scepter is that it opens the door. It does not say one can close the door with it.

In fact, there is a sidebar that discusses what happens if the villains got the scepter instead of the heroes. In that case, the seal is open when the heroes arrive.

I ended up doing a bit of hand waving :D
Question everything.

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Fri May 03, 2019 3:15 pm

TorgHacker wrote:The only thing that is mentioned about the scepter is that it opens the door. It does not say one can close the door with it.

Yes, the was scepter only breaks the seal. At that point the door can be opened or closed by just pushing on it.

The scepter has other uses down in the temple, though...

As for that sand trap, it's definitely a doozy. I'd be interested to know how other groups fared.

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey: How did they do with the "False Chamber of the Eye" puzzle? I've always been curious about how different groups would receive that one.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri May 03, 2019 4:03 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:GeniusCodeMonkey: How did they do with the "False Chamber of the Eye" puzzle? I've always been curious about how different groups would receive that one.

I gave them the sheet and left them to work it out. It took them about 5 minutes and got the answer right first time.

They enjoyed the puzzle as it was something different from the chases/fight scenes they had done so far. I gave them the option to do an evidence analysis on it, but they preferred to solve it themselves.

So more of the same for future adventures I think. They liked the puzzle.
Question everything.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”