Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

JeffWalklin

Re: Fires of Ra Discussion and Questions

Postby JeffWalklin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 pm

I started running a weekly Fires of Ra campaign last Tuesday at my LGS. We have six players, 2 from Core Earth, 3 from the NE and one Electric Samurai...who only wants to use a sniper rifle. :roll:

They already threw wrenches all over the place. The Rocket Ranger stayed on the roof of the museum while the rest went in. When Hooded Cobra showed up, the RR flew down and popped him before he could even get in a boat. Unfortunately for the Storm Knights, HC fell in the canal and they couldn't recover the body. :twisted:

The players are pumped for the rest of the adventure and I love the whole thing.

Nicely done, hawaiianbrian!

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:14 am

Thanks, Jeff!

mathey

Postby mathey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:14 am

We're two sessions into Act I and we're having a blast!

The wall-to-wall action is pretty densely packed into those 5 scenes that make up Crime City. If I had any player complaint it was that the Plasma-Bots had too high a Toughness for how many there were (with 5 players that's 15 of them robots). I encouraged them to embrace the power of Player's Call results on Interaction effects, however, so they were able to get a lot of Plasma-Bots to fall over the edge of the rooftop etc.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm

It was so funny that one of the hardest things my beta level party has dealt with so far were the tunnel whips. Group's dice decided to betray them, my dice turned hot and the opponents were considered so minor the players didn't want to spend resources on them. It was very much like a comedic action scene in a movie "Get it off! Get it off! Hold still so I don't shoot your face!!" "Where'd it go??" "Did it just try to force its way into Grigor's mouth?"

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 am

“Wall-to-wall action” is definitely what I was going for there!

Where is your LGS?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 am

► Show Spoiler

Their biggest complaint was that the encounter is too hard for there experience level (only 20xp). They all only have normal guns. The sorcerer of the group only has information gathering spells. There is no-one that does more than 14 base damage... I think it will mean they will be more cautious in the future though.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Their biggest complaint was that the encounter is too hard for there experience level (only 20xp). They all only have normal guns. The sorcerer of the group only has information gathering spells. There is no-one that does more than 14 base damage... I think it will mean they will be more cautious in the future though.

Haven't played or even read it. I didn't back the kickstarter.

► Show Spoiler

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am

vaminion wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Haven't played or even read it. I didn't back the kickstarter.

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 am

But don't let the players forget that they can use interaction attacks to make her Vulnerable or Very Vulnerable. From the sounds of it, she might be immune to some of them, but everything (that I know of) can be ruined by a good maneuver or trick. If you roll high enough, you could even cause her to lose an action or the use of a special ability.

Then there are other actions to help Storm Knights out. Ranged combatants can aim for +4, and melee combatants can do an all-out attack for +4. Both of which have their own costs but can be worth it. That makes it easier to get the Outstanding results.

I haven't read it yet, so I don't know if my suggestions are infeasible, but they work on 99% of the enemies.

But yeah, also card play, which is nicer in the Nile Empire, but you're right that you can't always rely on them.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am

Max damage of 12 for a party is pretty low too, they may want to invest is some bigger guns at some point. But those other options listed are all salient points, there's lots of ways to improve damage - or as your players discovered - win without actually needing to do damage.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”