Anything you'd like to know more about in the Nile Empire

TorgHacker

Anything you'd like to know more about in the Nile Empire

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:07 am

Okay, I'm getting ready to do Secrets of the Nile (not just Cairo) and figured I'd do a bit of crowdstorming.

Is there anything/anywho you'd like to know more about in more detail?

Is there some real-life landmark or location you think would be cool? (don't give me the details, just point me to the location)

Is there something from Original Torg that hasn't been covered yet you'd like to see in Eternity?

I've already got more info on the Cairo Mobs though (that was cut from the sourcebook for space), so don't worry about that one.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Re: Anything you'd like to know more about in the Nile Empire

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am

TorgHacker wrote:Okay, I'm getting ready to do Secrets of the Nile (not just Cairo) and figured I'd do a bit of crowdstorming.

Is there some real-life landmark or location you think would be cool? (don't give me the details, just point me to the location)

Is there something from Original Torg that hasn't been covered yet you'd like to see in Eternity?

I've already got more info on the Cairo Mobs though (that was cut from the sourcebook for space), so don't worry about that one.

One of my players is super interested in Petra becoming a hardpoint. He's an anthropologist who has done research there 10+ times.

I'm interested in the official "what happens" when a reality bomb is detonated in the stelae boundary of another realm.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am

ZorValachan wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Okay, I'm getting ready to do Secrets of the Nile (not just Cairo) and figured I'd do a bit of crowdstorming.

One of my players is super interested in Petra becoming a hardpoint. He's an anthropologist who has done research there 10+ times.

I'm interested in the official "what happens" when a reality bomb is detonated in the stelae boundary of another realm.

Petra is currently outside the Nile, and I mention what's going on there in the Nile SB.

As for the second question...it works the same. Temporary Pure Zone.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 pm

For locations I'd point at the Supreme court. I used it in my game as the palace of the insidious Wu Han.
It is just asking to be transformed in the initial axiom wash and the irony of the supreme court being used as the governors palace seems appropriate.

Per Sanguis Ad Astra

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Have just been glancing through the SB so far so apologies if this is already a thing.

I like a glimpse into the day to day life of folks in the cosm. Not just the Nile Empire but all of them. If the PCs are walking down the street what are they likely to see/hear/smell/taste.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:07 pm

fougerec wrote:Have just been glancing through the SB so far so apologies if this is already a thing.

I like a glimpse into the day to day life of folks in the cosm. Not just the Nile Empire but all of them. If the PCs are walking down the street what are they likely to see/hear/smell/taste.

Hmmmmmmm...

I thought that's what I did in the first chapter of the book?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Alexandria. The sourcebook mentions the lighthouse is back, but what about the library? Seems like a place with so much history would be an interesting location. Also it's presumably the Nile's prime port city - what kind of trade goes on there? Are there lots of travelers from other realms?

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:31 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
fougerec wrote:Have just been glancing through the SB so far so apologies if this is already a thing.

Hmmmmmmm...

I thought that's what I did in the first chapter of the book?

Probably, just been skimming it quickly over the Holidays. Basically looking at the "wow cool" mechanics...it's a weakness when I get something new and shiny...Going to get to reading cover to cover now that things have settled down to a normal pace :)

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Spatula wrote:Alexandria. The sourcebook mentions the lighthouse is back, but what about the library? Seems like a place with so much history would be an interesting location. Also it's presumably the Nile's prime port city - what kind of trade goes on there? Are there lots of travelers from other realms?

There is a successor to the ancient library that was opened in 2002. That could easily have been transformed into the ancient wonder upgraded to the 40s.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 am

Spatula wrote:Alexandria. The sourcebook mentions the lighthouse is back, but what about the library? Seems like a place with so much history would be an interesting location. Also it's presumably the Nile's prime port city - what kind of trade goes on there? Are there lots of travelers from other realms?

Definitely Alexandria. Not just the famed library, but the Serapeum which was one of the greatest temples in the ancient world. Alexandria, together with Athens, was one of the greatest centres of learning in the ancient Mediterranean - Eratosthenes, Ptolemy, Euclid and Hypatia all dwelled there, as well as having many Jewish scholars (including those who first translated the Bible into the Greek). As a Greek-Roman-Jewish-Egyptian city, one can imagine that its manifestation of the NE reality would be different to the rest of the realm. It was famed during Roman times as much for its communal riots as for its learning.

Alexander not only founded Alexandria but before moving east to conquer Persia went to the Siwa Oasis in the west (which may be the Zerzura Oasis mentioned in the sourcebook) and was (in his propaganda) crowned the son of Amun (equated to Zeus). In medieval times Alexander, like King Arthur, had a number of romances written about him with a Christian overlay. One of the stories was that in the far east he had built the Gates of Alexander / Caspian Gates at the end of the world behind which were the beasts of Revelations Gog and Magog (Orrorsh anyone?). The Battle of Megiddo from which we get the word Armageddon comes from a battle in what is now Israel between Egypt and Canaanites. The battle (from memory) was one of the first recorded battles in history. It's a topic that needs to be treated sensitively (as Deanna has done in the Sourcebook) but you can't imagine the Possibility Wars in the Middle East being viewed by Christians, Jews and Muslims without a heavy apocalyptic/eschatological tinge.

Other ancient places coming to light (such as Irem of the Pillars in Arabia) as well as the places that "never were". Although I understand that Baghdad is, like the Living Land in the far North, being kept out of the official metaplot, the Nile axiom wash would be great to bring Arabian Nights style myths and places to life.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”