Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Greymarch2000

Re: Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 pm

I like to keep mecha at the Cyberpunk 2020 level, which is more of a Power Assisted Armour as opposed to giant robos.

Giant out-of-control Abominations is fine but I wouldn't really wanted to see Jaegers. Firstly due to the axioms involved as mentioned and secondly the more you use something like that the less special it becomes. If this was a Year Two thing where people had to slap together things from all the different cosms to deal with it then I could see some crazy giant robot being made like that once.

I'd rather it go more Attack on Titan vein myself.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 pm

I would go with the armoured suits, though I am thinking more Gasaraki than Guyver. (Seriously Gasaraki feels like it would fit into PP perfectly)
Those suits are about 10 ft tall and are treated more like light armoured tanks than Kaiju killing forces.
Though again these are opponents rather than something the players could get their hands on. The Electric Samurai perk and Dwarven Dragon Warrior cover armoured suits fine for PCs.

Hmm... I may have to include the Gasaraki suits in my PP mission now. (Starts scribbling ideas)
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Like others, I also like the idea of an Abomination as a rare or even unique thing that is a plot device rather than a legitimate opponent. PCs fighting it in a giant mecha is definitely too far to me. Maybe helping research an anti-mutagen then deploying it via drone delivery strike or something, but no Voltron fights.

I echo the love of the Cyclone armor, I always thought that was the coolest thing ever watching Robotech as an 80s kid. Though maybe something easier like powered inline skates on Ion Gusoku (as a perk) to allow for use of Speed Demon (oh crap I said the words) without worrying about how to bring a motorcycle everywhere.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:54 am

To tell the truth, in Japan we already have Mecha and Kaiju...
https://twitter.com/thermalheadtorg/status/1075380216237764608
...but this Kaiju (and assumingly Rijato Armor) is about 3 meters tall and not even Large. Pan-Pacifica is a realm of subtlety and secrecy, so even a Kaiju have to be able to disappear quickly.
(Maybe a Big Kaiju disassemble into a horde of Jiangshi and slip into the night is a horible but interesting possibility...)

TORG value system is designed for handling huge things(like Death Star) so it can handle gigantic Mecha, but running the mixed party of Colossus-riders and Foot-soldiers is often very difficult even in Mecha-themed game. So, even if some Mecha can be available, it had better to be not much larger than Nagara Security 44TS or Kanawa R-l armed robot(from oTorg Nippon Tech)...

...By the way, don't we already have monsters called Abominations in Tharkold?

QuarrelBlue

Re: Kaiji and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:13 am

Zackzenobi wrote:If you feel you have to the biggest I would want to see would be the Cyclone Armor from the Invid Robotech series.

Spatula wrote:I always did like those motorbikes that turned into armor. Having those would solve the problem of needing to cart your bike around with you when traveling. :)

Atama wrote:I echo the love of the Cyclone armor, I always thought that was the coolest thing ever watching Robotech as an 80s kid. Though maybe something easier like powered inline skates on Ion Gusoku (as a perk) to allow for use of Speed Demon (oh crap I said the words) without worrying about how to bring a motorcycle everywhere.

I think things like Cyclone Armor is perfect for Cyberpapal Dragoon, for they rapidly deploy as mounted soldiers and when fighting they dismount to fight as heavily-armed infantry. And, in CyberFrance there would be The Modern-Day DRAGONNADES(and a few brave dragoon who refused to harm innocents and thus met their Moment of Crisis)...

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 am

While the idea did initially excite me, the more I think about it, the more I think if it happens it should be a one-off adventure, something that happens once in a campaign, a special event. Godzilla vs Voltron kind of thing. (not them specifically, but whatever the ultimate version of a kaiju vs mecha works for Torg).

One kaiju, and maybe one mecha would be enough for my tastes, make them special. The reason I think it has value this way is that GM's can use it as background, or as the main event of an adventure. It can generate adventure hooks too, as gathering the resources to build the monster killer can be challenging, as is protecting the genius scientist who designed it, etc.

It shouldn't take up a lot of pages in the PP book, if any. I think there is way too much other ground that needs to be covered.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks all!

Your comments were...illuminating. :-)

As Gargoyle suggested, if we do giant kaiju at some point, it's going to be as something special, not as a regular thing.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:33 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:
...By the way, don't we already have monsters called Abominations in Tharkold?

Yeah, I misspoke. "Abnormals" are what these are called.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the party ...

I'll agree that kaiju should be a one-shot thing. As a childhood fan of the genre, I recall how useless the humans tended to be and Storm Knights won't do much better.

As for mecha, I agree with the "large battlesuit" (3m or so tall) camp. Smaller and less powerful than a tank, but a bit more useful. I'll also mention that the ED-209 from Robocop is within PP capabilities (including it's limitations ...).

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:42 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Thanks all!

Your comments were...illuminating. :-)

So who won the betting pool? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”