Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

TorgHacker

Re: Kaiju and Mecha in Pan-Pacifica

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Count Thalim wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Thanks all!

Your comments were...illuminating. :-)

So who won the betting pool? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say there was a betting pool, but I didn't think this convo would be so...one sided. :-)

But hey, that's why I asked! :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Brandon_C wrote:I know I'm a bit late to the party ...

I'll agree that kaiju should be a one-shot thing. As a childhood fan of the genre, I recall how useless the humans tended to be and Storm Knights won't do much better.

As for mecha, I agree with the "large battlesuit" (3m or so tall) camp. Smaller and less powerful than a tank, but a bit more useful. I'll also mention that the ED-209 from Robocop is within PP capabilities (including it's limitations ...).

*cough*

► Show Spoiler

<whistles innocently>
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:19 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Brandon_C wrote:I know I'm a bit late to the party ...

I'll agree that kaiju should be a one-shot thing. As a childhood fan of the genre, I recall how useless the humans tended to be and Storm Knights won't do much better.

As for mecha, I agree with the "large battlesuit" (3m or so tall) camp. Smaller and less powerful than a tank, but a bit more useful. I'll also mention that the ED-209 from Robocop is within PP capabilities (including it's limitations ...).

*cough*

► Show Spoiler

<whistles innocently>

Ha! Must use!

Eightybrains

Postby Eightybrains » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm going to second the "large battle suit" thing, as something cool that still says "mecha" without being an actual giant robot. Maybe it could be a vehicle option so that the whole team can use them if the plot (and my one player who is a huge fan of mecha anime) demands it? Something 3-4 meters tall with maybe some attached machine-guns would be awesome, but still balanced for the game when you compare it to tanks and such.
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Eightybrains wrote:I'm going to second the "large battle suit" thing, as something cool that still says "mecha" without being an actual giant robot. Maybe it could be a vehicle option so that the whole team can use them if the plot (and my one player who is a huge fan of mecha anime) demands it? Something 3-4 meters tall with maybe some attached machine-guns would be awesome, but still balanced for the game when you compare it to tanks and such.

Such a vehicle would be best built with 4, 6 or 8 legs and a horizontal body, which makes it a bit un-anime in configuration. Otherwise, it doesn't seem especially unbalanced (a legged halftrack).

Probably my favorite battlesuit in movies is the one from District 9, although I think it's a bit more advanced than Tech 24.

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Wow, go to work and miss a complete conversation. So here's my two cents. Agree with everybody and there rational that Mecha doesn't really feel PP compatible. However, I would say that for the purposes of letting the knights get one. I'm not really against the idea the Kanawa might be developing something along those lines, and the knights must stop/blow up/steal/murder-hobo and shut down the development. As for Kaiju, just the knights are small, doesn't mean that the enemy needs to be (think Ungrosh, Borr-Aka, and I'm sure something out of the blasted land).

forbinproject

Postby forbinproject » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Another vote in the 'no' column; Kaiju/Mecha is kind of an overwhelming genre that drowns everything else out. Unique, one-off big monsters are cool, but a whole mecha/pilot/Jaeger aspect would just get instantly dropped out of my game.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 pm

Add my vote to no column.

Primarily, it just doesn't fit in genre. Mecha vs. Kaiju are heroic, super-human forces. The whole notion is that people just can't affect Kaiju... only another Kaiju can. Even if you fire missiles from a destroyer, somehow those missiles don't work against kaiju. But if the SAME missiles are fired from a mecha, well then they work just fine.

This isn't Pan Pacifica. Pan Pacifica is where the experiments escape from the corporate laboratory and the government helps them cover it up, but things get so out of hand that the corporate bad guys actually need to team up with the good guys to kill it. Think Blade II.

Or, it's the place where the government sends in all its special forces teams to try to kill the monster quietly without the public finding out, but they mostly die anyway, with the good ones sacrificing themselves to prevent mass extermination of humanity. Except it's Torg 5E with multi-cosm interaction, so they call in Dwayne Johnson from Core Earth, and there's also a giant alligator.

I'm really looking forward to Pan Pacifica, but of all the cosms, it shouldn't be goofy. Nile Empire is already goofy enough, and Living Land has elements of that too. Pan Pacific is closer to dark sci fi noir. The tone is almost closer to Alien, but in the near future.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:25 am

I am not going to make a vote, but I do want to make a point:

In kindergarten and first grade I was watching a live action show from Japan on Hawaiian t.v. Many years later, an American producer picked it up and you will probably be more familiar with that show.

In both shows the 5 main characters with diverse skill sets (Storm Knights) were routinely encountering medium to large numbers of minor difficulty villains (mooks, standard scenes), then for the climax, they had to fight a gigantic monster (dramatic scene).

In case you haven't recognized this pre-torg Torgesque pattern yet, the Knights used individual mecha which joined up to make a giant mecha for the final fight. In the later American show, these were called zords.

And I still have trouble not calling the "mooks", "puddies"

Brandon_C

Postby Brandon_C » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 am

Savioronedge wrote:In kindergarten and first grade I was watching a live action show from Japan on Hawaiian t.v. Many years later, an American producer picked it up and you will probably be more familiar with that show.

The biggest problem I see is that I don't think their suits were Tech 24. I think transformable mecha would be pushing Tech z5 and combinable mecha are likely beyond that.

Although, oddly, I might let Nile Empire weird science pull either off as a one-off design.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”