Timeline

Istrian

Timeline

Postby Istrian » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

To make my GMing life easier I made a timeline of official (and less official) events. If anyone is interested I put it here.

The current version contains everything from the Living Land and Nile Empire books, and most of the stuff from the NearNowNews twitter feed. Events are marked in green when their date has been officially stated (there are few contradictions but only by a day or two), and the orange denotes an educated guess (mostly for the NearNowNews feed) or a vague range (i.e. "it happened sometime between this and that day).

If there's interest I can put up an export of the timeline raw data up somewhere.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Timeline

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue May 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Awesome dude!
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wolfeye

Postby Wolfeye » Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm

This is great! One thing: the Maelstrom Bridge in Giza drops 16 hours and 18 minutes after the one in NY according to Near Now News. There are some inconsistencies with time zones and the Day One adventure though...

Taliesin

Postby Taliesin » Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Excellent work! This will very useful indeed. Thank you.
Istrian wrote:a timeline of official (and less official) events.

So you'll be adding events from your own campaigns (it's your tool after all ;) ). Is there a way to tell which are yours and which are official events?

Istrian wrote:Events are marked in green when their date has been officially stated (there are few contradictions but only by a day or two), and the orange denotes an educated guess (mostly for the NearNowNews feed) or a vague range (i.e. "it happened sometime between this and that day).

How about using a different color for each cosm?

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Wolfeye wrote:This is great! One thing: the Maelstrom Bridge in Giza drops 16 hours and 18 minutes after the one in NY according to Near Now News. There are some inconsistencies with time zones and the Day One adventure though...

Yes, that's one of the things I wasn't sure what to do about: timezones. In the end I just decided to put it down to daily precision and add some links between related (in the causal sense) events.

Although in this case it looks just like a visual overlap between the US and Egypt events.

Taliesin wrote:Excellent work! This will very useful indeed. Thank you.
So you'll be adding events from your own campaigns (it's your tool after all ;) ). Is there a way to tell which are yours and which are official events?

Actually I made sure to not export events from my campaigns to avoid confusion (also in case one of my players randomly finds it). By "less official" I meant events that are mentioned in the sourcebooks or feed without a specific date.

Though if you somehow end up seeing blue events it means I failed to hide my campaign events :-)

Taliesin wrote:How about using a different color for each cosm?

I'd love to but I can only use one color, and I'd rather distinguish between certain and uncertain dates. Also I just noticed I missed a lot of data in the export (such as the cosm where it happens and who is involved). This should be corrected now.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Very, very nice work. I looked into doing this at one point and just couldn't figure out a good way.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Tangent

Postby Tangent » Sat May 11, 2019 4:41 am

Given that I've just accepted assistant GM duties for TORG in our group, I think that I'll find this timeline to be very useful!

Thanks for all the hard work!

mrroderick

Postby mrroderick » Sun May 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Is there anyway you'd be able and willing to export to CSV, XLS, or XLSX? I've been working on something similar which could be sortable and filterable on a table. (I could even use XML.)

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 pm

Here you go. I couldn't remove events from my campaigns from the timeline in the export. These are the ones where Color="Make Earth Glorious Again"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kxt39gwm1bfp ... l.csv?dl=0

mrroderick

Postby mrroderick » Sun May 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks. I saw this RIGHT after I sent a PM.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”