UN HQ Relocation?

Exploring the Storm

UN HQ Relocation?

Postby Exploring the Storm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I know I read it somewhere but I can't seem to find it anymore... where was UN HQ relocated to after the fall of NY?

Other capital relocation's would be good to know as well, ex Washington DC moving to Houston.

TorgHacker

Re: UN HQ Relocation?

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Exploring the Storm wrote:I know I read it somewhere but I can't seem to find it anymore... where was UN HQ relocated to after the fall of NY?

Other capital relocation's would be good to know as well, ex Washington DC moving to Houston.

Yes, but I don't think it's been specified where the UN HQ was relocated to.

Russia's capital is temporarily moved to Veronezh. Other various governments, especially in Africa and the Middle East have governments in exile, but not officially a new capital.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:51 pm

According to what little info I can find the other 3 official HQ's are Geneva Switzerland (which would be lost to the Cyberpapacy), Vienna Austria (close to Cyberpapacy & Tharkold), or Nairobi Kenya (which would be lost to the Nile Empire).

My guess would be to go with Vienna as it is the only Real World location not in immediate danger from the Possibility Wars.

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:06 pm

In addition I would assume Avignon is the "New" capital of France/Cyberpapacy without any wrongthink (within the Realm of course) concerning Paris being officially demoted.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 pm

A better question is if the UN even exists anymore.

I’m guessing no, especially since most (all?) of the major member states have been invaded or already conquered, and since the international cooperation that would have been done by the UN is now being handled by the Delphi Council.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Could see it being moved to Australia given the way the world looks now

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Atama wrote:A better question is if the UN even exists anymore.

I’m guessing no, especially since most (all?) of the major member states have been invaded or already conquered, and since the international cooperation that would have been done by the UN is now being handled by the Delphi Council.

I recall reading that the DC is supposed to be UN-sanctioned, therefore likely to be one of the sub-agencies of the UN (albeit the most important one since they coordinate the defence against the High Lords). From the Beta Primer I feel the DC doesn't have the experience or personnel to replace the UN (you would need diplomats, a large bureaucracy to coordinate all the institutions like UNICEF, UNESCO, and all the stuff that happens in the background while Storm Knights are being heroic and glorious) - even Quinn Sebastian can only do that much :-)

On the one hand, the major states probable haven't all withdrawn. Since China and Japan are under a secret invasion, it would make sense if their delegates were still there trying to cause dissent. Russia is also probably still in since their government (officially) cooperates with the DC. France is likely to be represented as well as it would be in Malraux' interest to keep an eye there to coordinate against his future rival High Lords. I wouldn't be surprised if the UK is still represented as well, and also represents Ardinay and her people.

On the other hand if all the major member states are no longer available, the UN becomes a den of intrigue. All the other countries would have an opportunity to wrestle control from the Security Council and create lasting alliances.

All in all Core Earth may not be that much safer or "good" than any other cosm.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Istrian wrote:All in all Core Earth may not be that much safer or "good" than any other cosm.

It certainly wasn't in old Torg.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 pm

To be fair, in oTorg eventually pretty much everyone was "and they were a pawn of the Kanawa Corporation all along! Muahahaha!"

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 pm

My guess would be that the UN still exists, but for practical purposes little more than a nostalgic dream. The bureaucracy from NY would be hard to move in any reasonable time, and many of the staff there (that didn't transform) would more likely than not be recalled to their various home countries.
The five permanent members of the Security Council (China, Russia, France, UK, and US) all certainly have some form of government (or government-in-exile); the issues I see there would be some contested claims to the right to the UN seat. Aysle doesn't have the social axiom to even try to operate in place of Great Britain, but might have some Core Earthers who view their loyalty to the land more than a particular regime. France would be in a definite fight against Malraux for its seat. The US, though heavily invaded by the Living Land, would face no contest, as nobody in the LL could see the point of the thing. Russia's has no problem - heck, when the UN was conceived, large areas were under enemy occupation, so what else is new? ;) China under Pan-Pacifica would keep its seat, and might be the only permanent Security Council seat under direct control of a High Lord - though that would be enough to invoke full veto power, which would paralyze the UN from mounting any major military operation. Note also that Russia would wield the veto to block a lot of CE action that would interfere with Tharkhold.

Note that a seat in the UN, even the 5 permanent Security Council seats, do not necessarily reflect contemporary reality of power or position. China's seat was held by Taiwan for years after Mao took over mainland China.

Orrorsh and Nile wouldn't care much - again, lower social axioms would limit the UN's ability to operate as it has in the past, even if the ideal of international cooperation is real to them, though very limited in scope (i.e., Congress of Vienna/League of Nations, methods of limiting war, but not major social agencies). Nile might claim Egypt's (and other nations') seats, and transformed India would have its seat, but more as a matter of prestige than function.

With all that, the UN would function as little more than a veneer for debate, but unable to accomplish much of anything significant in either social or military realms, whether due to lack of bureaucratic infrastructure, or PP veto in the Security Council. I like the idea of Australia being the new base - or maybe the seedbed of whatever organization rises to replace the UN (whether the Delphi Council or something else). (The League of Nations that failed to prevent WW2 wasn't officially disbanded until the end of WW2.)
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”