Nile/Orrorsh Mixed Zone ideas

fougerec

Nile/Orrorsh Mixed Zone ideas

Postby fougerec » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:46 am

My characters are about to enter a lost city tomb deep in an Orrorsh/Nile mixed zone?

So I'm looking for ideas for a dungeon crawl/tomb exploration type of adventure, though I am wary of traps being overly deadly with the Law of Perseverance in play.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Nile/Orrorsh Mixed Zone ideas

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:53 pm

fougerec wrote: I am wary of traps being overly deadly with the Law of Perseverance in play.

I think that's the point!

My group are just about to fight the zombies in the lost city on Fires Of Ra. They haven't been to Orrosh yet, so it will be a shock when there told they can't soak.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Oh they've had the eye opening already when a punji stick trap that was 15+1BD did 32 damage!

So it's more about getting ideas for a creepy dungeon crawl type thing.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm

I would suggest to keep it claustrophobic. Have the dungeon being just big enough to hunch walk down. A labyrinth with dark side tunnels, pygmy and poison sticks.

I wouldn't have a map either. Just a list of obstacles they come across, the gorier the better. Also have the labyrinth change configuration once they get into it so they never know how to get out... unless they complete certain tasks.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:15 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
fougerec wrote: I am wary of traps being overly deadly with the Law of Perseverance in play.

I think that's the point!

My group are just about to fight the zombies in the lost city on Fires Of Ra. They haven't been to Orrosh yet, so it will be a shock when there told they can't soak.

In our game nearly every soak roll took two possibilities which is super taxing on resources.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 pm

When I think Nile/Orrorsh mixed zone I think of that campy Van Hellsing movie with Hugh Jackman. Dunno if that's the most helpful inspiration but maybe it gives some ideas.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:38 pm

A lot of pulpy action-adventure stories have elements of horror... Raiders of the Lost Ark, especially the opening scene and the ark-opening at the end, is good example (though the Indiana Jones franchise became more campy in successive movies). I guess I would lean heavy on the suspense and opportunities for fear tests, and then have some foe that can't be beaten without first deciphering some ancient runes somewhere. Maybe throw in some temptations to corruption, as well, like promises of ancient black magic in exchange for <some evil act>.

It's a tough fit though, I think. Nile doesn't mix terribly well with the more "serious" realities because the DRAMA! and bombastic-ness undermines whatever vibe the other genre is going for.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Traps don't have to damage the Storm Knights. They can split them up, knock them out, possess them, teleport them elsewhere, etc etc. There's lots of options that can feel scary but don't actually do lasting harm to the character. Ironically those are the hardest for Nile characters to deal with since soaking is only for direct damage.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 am

Pulp Horror is definitely a thing... just look at Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.

I would play up the Nile feel at first, but the deeper they go, the more Orrorsh comes out to play. Lights should go out, scratching sounds are heard in the distance, things move when they aren't watching... try to ramp up the feeling that something in the darkness (or the actual Darkness itself) is going to get them.

Remember the Mummy movie with Brendon Frasier? The scarab beetle swarm held back by the torch light that is slowly going out.... that's the sort of thing you want.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:11 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:Remember the Mummy movie with Brendon Frasier? The scarab beetle swarm held back by the torch light that is slowly going out.... that's the sort of thing you want.

Ironically, that movie was a massive influence on the Nile Empire sourcebook, so that film is less NE/Orrorsh and more just NE.

But I get what you’re saying, dial up the creepiness.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”