Nile/Orrorsh Mixed Zone ideas

TorgHacker

Re: Nile/Orrorsh Mixed Zone ideas

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Atama wrote:
jhosmer1 wrote:Remember the Mummy movie with Brendon Frasier? The scarab beetle swarm held back by the torch light that is slowly going out.... that's the sort of thing you want.

Ironically, that movie was a massive influence on the Nile Empire sourcebook, so that film is less NE/Orrorsh and more just NE.

But I get what you’re saying, dial up the creepiness.

For the record, I'm not sure I'd say "massive" but definitely is only influencing the Torg Eternity version since that movie came out 9 years after Torg did. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

I think I may steal an idea from The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan to apply some time pressure - have a poisonous gas slowly filling the dungeon forcing the characters to keep moving as well as something from Skyrim in which there's always an exit at the end of the dungeon. Thus "logically" pushing the characters onwards and deeper. Combine that with a gradual switch from mixed zone to pure Orrorsh the deeper into the tomb and I think it could work quite well.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

Make small amounts of the gas hallucinogenic... so as it fills in, the party starts to have trouble telling reality from fantasy... nothing unnerves players more than when the GM becomes an unreliable narrator. Be careful with it, though, as it might make your players mad if you put them in too much danger from that.

Your goal is to have all the characters alive and freaked out at the end, not dead. And maybe with a little Corruption. I like to throw in moral choices... add shortcuts that the PCs can take, at the cost of Corruption. They don't have to, but it'd make their trip SO much easier, and what's a little Corruption, after all? :twisted: It gets the PCs into the mindset that they can avoid all the suffering of Orrorsh if they just take a little, tiny shortcut... and that's how the Gaunt Man gets them...

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:32 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:Make small amounts of the gas hallucinogenic... so as it fills in, the party starts to have trouble telling reality from fantasy... nothing unnerves players more than when the GM becomes an unreliable narrator. Be careful with it, though, as it might make your players mad if you put them in too much danger from that.

Your goal is to have all the characters alive and freaked out at the end, not dead. And maybe with a little Corruption. I like to throw in moral choices... add shortcuts that the PCs can take, at the cost of Corruption. They don't have to, but it'd make their trip SO much easier, and what's a little Corruption, after all? :twisted: It gets the PCs into the mindset that they can avoid all the suffering of Orrorsh if they just take a little, tiny shortcut... and that's how the Gaunt Man gets them...

Much of my party has low Charisma so Corruption there's no such thing as a little corruption for them. It would serve them right for dump statting something though.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm

fougerec wrote:Much of my party has low Charisma so Corruption there's no such thing as a little corruption for them. It would serve them right for dump statting something though.

Well, that's the beauty of it.

If they take the corruption, they gain power at a too-high cost. You win.
If they refuse it, you put them through hell while saying "You could have taken the easier way." Players curse Orrorsh. You win.

:lol:

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:
fougerec wrote:Much of my party has low Charisma so Corruption there's no such thing as a little corruption for them. It would serve them right for dump statting something though.

If they refuse it, you put them through hell while saying "You could have taken the easier way." Players curse Orrorsh. You win.

Or the players say "Nope, I'm done with this game" and we all lose.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

fougerec wrote:
jhosmer1 wrote:

Or the players say "Nope, I'm done with this game" and we all lose.

The only reason I didn't run very many games of oTorg in Orrorsh was not the setting, but the rules for perseverance. It was too much to keep track of. Also changing my mindset to horror that wasn't lovecraftian but set in the 1800's is hard. Vampires and werewolves as enemies just don't feel as horrific coming as they did off the back of Vampire the Masquerade et. al.
I just hope they do a better job than oTorg (sanity rules will help!).
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Sanity rules will be controversial I think, though I agree perseverance was a drag as a GM. Orrorsh in Torg has a similar tone problem with Ravenloft in D&D - fear and horror don't mesh well with what are fundamentally heroic systems. Still, I love Ravenloft and my group enjoyed the Orrorsh adventures in oTorg. The bit about "Orrorsh is where Storm Knights go to die" did actually have the impact of making the PCs afraid of the place.
Last edited by Kanaris on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Besides. In TorgE when you die you can just remake the same character ;)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

Kanaris wrote:Sanity rules will be controversial I think, though I agree perseverance was a drag as a GM. Orrorsh in Torg has a similar tone problem with Ravenloft in D&D - fear and horror don't mesh well with what are fundamentally heroic systems. Still, I love Ravenloft and my group enjoyed the Orrorsh adventures in oTorg. The bit about "Orrorsh is where Storm Knights go to die" did actually have the impact of making the PCs afraid of the place.

I'll just note that I'm intrigued by the the tack that Evil Hat is taking with their Fate of Cthulhu.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”