Corruption Perks

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Corruption Perks

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:33 am

I just reread the corruption rules, and the negatives for all of the perks is the corruption test.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:29 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Curse of Lycanthropy

I would make the DN harder (DN 18 - Heroic) and on a failure the GM takes over the character but has no memory of what happens until they wake up.

Makes a great story hook waking up with your arms soaked in blood with no memory of what happened.

Taking away character agency is something I am always cautious about. Your average character will not usually have more than 12-13 in Willpower without them focussing on it. So a DN 18 means that they are going to fail about 85% of the time without spending possibilities or cards.
DN 14 is about a 45% failure rate which is more even.

Changing the blurb to read that the character wakes up in the morning with no memory works fine, it is sort of what I intended but gets more complicated if the change happens during a scene.
I have the advantage that my players would cackle and run with their character being taken over by a beast so less intervention would be needed as a GM.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:15 am

I would make the DN harder (DN 18 - Heroic) and on a failure the GM takes over the character but has no memory of what happens until they wake up.

Makes a great story hook waking up with your arms soaked in blood with no memory of what happened.

I'd eliminate the Str+1 and make it so that the character can shift to werewolf form whenever he chooses but then must make the Difficulty 14 check - with the character forced to transform on nights of the full moon but the check difficulty rises to 18. Meanwhile, losing control of the beast requires a corruption check.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:12 pm

johntfs wrote:

I'd eliminate the Str+1 and make it so that the character can shift to werewolf form whenever he chooses but then must make the Difficulty 14 check - with the character forced to transform on nights of the full moon but the check difficulty rises to 18. Meanwhile, losing control of the beast requires a corruption check.

I had two reasons I left the corruption check out of this perk.
The first is that I saw this as a Perk that the player has to take, the others are options. A player could decide to simply not use them at all. This one they have to roll at full moon, no choice.
The second is that the player is already penalised by losing control of their character. To add a corruption check on top of that feels a bit too harsh. A double penalty for failing the roll as it were.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Count Thalim wrote:
johntfs wrote:

The first is that I saw this as a Perk that the player has to take, the others are options. A player could decide to simply not use them at all. This one they have to roll at full moon, no choice.
The second is that the player is already penalised by losing control of their character. To add a corruption check on top of that feels a bit too harsh. A double penalty for failing the roll as it were.

How about if they have to make a corruption if they lose control after voluntarily shifting form? However let the difficulty start at 14 with "werewolf time" lasting for a scene. For every scene after the first in an adventure that the person shifts form add +1 to the difficulty of maintaining control. Meanwhile, during the full moon, let the loss of control be automatic or just having the difficulty by an 18. Basically this is where having a team/friends to lock you up for a scene will come in handy.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:33 am

johntfs wrote:
Count Thalim wrote:
johntfs wrote:

How about if they have to make a corruption if they lose control after voluntarily shifting form? However let the difficulty start at 14 with "werewolf time" lasting for a scene. For every scene after the first in an adventure that the person shifts form add +1 to the difficulty of maintaining control. Meanwhile, during the full moon, let the loss of control be automatic or just having the difficulty by an 18. Basically this is where having a team/friends to lock you up for a scene will come in handy.

I like it. But a scene being out of the action is a long time; but then if the bonuses are worth it...
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:16 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
johntfs wrote:
Count Thalim wrote:I had two reasons I left the corruption check out of this perk.

I like it. But a scene being out of the action is a long time; but then if the bonuses are worth it...

Among most of the players I know, if they lose control of their character for an entire scene or more (the phrasing "for the night" could easily be read as "for tonight's game session"), they will simply hand their sheet over and walk out the door. Heck, in my regular group, if I want the heroes captured for plot purposes, I have to tell them outright GM-to-player, or there will be eruptions. But different people are different, so it might work fine for many groups.

The problem that I see with the way this Lycanthropy is written is that it's kind of a muddle between a curse and a Perk. As a curse, it needs not provide any voluntary benefit - at best, it might be controllable. As a Perk, it has to provide a useful benefit - though as a Corruption Perk, the benefit comes with a cost (i.e., Corruption). I'd say pick one or the other and it becomes a lot easier to nail mechanics.

A curse becomes then a matter of how often the werewolf manifests and how controllable it is. My instinct is to have the transformation happen on/near the full moon, willy-nilly, and a Willpower roll every round or attack a random target - but specifics are flexible. No 'offline' benefit. No voluntary trigger. It's a curse. On the bright side, it's purely an effect of Corruption and doesn't by itself drag you down.

As a Perk, the player should be able to invoke transformation - probably a Willpower check, maybe modified by the phase of the moon, maybe even only at night. Even to try transforming, however, triggers a Corruption test. Stay wolfy for up to an entire scene, with bonus Strength, claws, armor, and silver vulnerability, as already described - as well as the ability to use all the same skills and tools as a normal wolf (no guns, no keyboards, etc.). It's a Corruption Perk, and offers certain bonuses, but always at the price.

Having written this out, it strikes me that you could put them together. The Perk tempts the player to invoke the benefit (and the Corruption test) as they wish - while the curse kicks in on a monthly basis as well, so occasionally they will just have to deal with being a mad wolf. So you could have it both ways.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:16 am

OK, based on the feedback in the thread I have revamped the Lycanthropy Perk/Curse.

Curse of Lycanthropy
You have been infected by Lycanthropy though have managed to tame it to a point.
Once per act you may change into the form of a werewolf. Make a Challenging (DN 12) corruption check.
Gain Str +1, a bite/claw attack of Str +4, Armour +3, silver weapons do +4 damage to you, no equipment or perks related to them can be used.
On the night of a full moon you feel an irresistible pull to turn into a werewolf. You must make a Heroic (DN 18) willpower roll to resist. If you fail by 5 or more the GM may direct your character.

Basically this changes it so that you can convert to a werewolf at will, though at the risk of the corruption check.
The full moon change has been altered to allow the player a chance to resist and only if they roll badly (Target no. 13) do they lose control entirely.
Hopefully this means a player who is determined to not lose control can achieve it (DN 13 isn't too bad if you are will to throw in possibilities and cards) but still have the downsides of being a werewolf right before the Grand Ball in Asyle.
The phrasing on the last part is also altered to give the GM more leeway. They could direct them as simply as "You have a powerful Fight or Flight reflex" then have the guards turn up.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:24 pm

A thing to consider about werewolves in TORG: it is not a game that lends itself super-well to keeping calendars. So while the full moon transformation is thematic, it is problematic in-game (unless you tie it to a cosm card or something).

I would tie it to night-time in general, not just the full moon. And maybe have it potentially trigger due to being hurt or angered instead?

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 pm

I was assuming the GM would make a ruling as to if it was a full moon.

As you say it is a thematic game so it is only a full moon if the game would be enhanced by it being so.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”