Aysle and the Ecology of Dragons

Zackzenobi

Aysle and the Ecology of Dragons

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:28 pm

I loved Dragons as a kid. I mean imagining myself defend the castle from a dragon was awesome as a kid. But as I got older something always bugged me. The size of Dragons and how much they would need to eat.

Sure some Dragons are smaller than others. But most stories make them out to be big enough that you really couldn't have to many of them around before food got scarce. Has anyone ever heard of solutions to this problem?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Aysle and the Ecology of Dragons

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Dragons are magical creatures that feed off magic; hence why they collect magical items to absorb the power of.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:25 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Dragons are magical creatures that feed off magic; hence why they collect magical items to absorb the power of.

This. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Yep. It's magic. All the way down, to coin a phrase.

I'll worry about the ecology of feeding dragons after I worry about the physics of flying dragons, which is after I worry about the biochemistry of dragon breath that can kill people and melt metal. Nothing about dragons operates by natural science.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:59 am

So you can't just coat a goat in poison and have the dragon eat it. You need to find a magical goat first :lol:

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Maybe they eat precious metals? Gold, silver, platinum, bronze, with some metals being more "nutritious." That might explain the fire-breathing, which is useful for melting the metal for easier consumption.

Although this idea breaks down if you try to view dragons as biological creatures with teeth, tongues, etc.

If they do eat organic food (i.e. meat), they could be like snakes who only need to eat once a week, only longer for dragons. Once a year dragons go on eating binges, burninating and devouring anything that runs, then they retreat, sated, to their lairs.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:33 pm

My thinking on it goes something like this: to me, Aysle is best run as a fairy tale realm, rather than a D&D realm. It takes inspiration from both, and from other sources, but primarily IMC I like to think of it as a fairy tale. My thinking is that one consequence of thinking of it as a fairy tale is that magic and magical creatures must remain mysterious. Whenever you think you have them figured out, classified, and catalogued, something new emerges to challenge that thinking.

So sure, maybe the first dragon they encounter feeds off magic. The next might need a virgin sacrificed to it once a year. The next might indeed poach cattle. Whatever invokes a feeling of mystery, wonder, and surprise, and suits the current adventure is what I'm going to go for regarding background details like this.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Sure some Dragons are smaller than others. But most stories make them out to be big enough that you really couldn't have to many of them around before food got scarce. Has anyone ever heard of solutions to this problem?

I'm not sure if it is the case for TorgE Dragons, but in other fantasies they often say "That's why Dragons are rare and highly territorial." If they eat anything biological they are usually considered as apex predators, and large Dragon is often regarded as a solitary creature which needs vast territory to fulfill its monstrous apetite. The all-too-well-known Smaug had the "Desolation of Smaug", you know.

In TorgE particular, average 20-meter-class Dragons are regarded as "territorial hoarders prone to viciously attacking anyone who stumbles into their path", indicating not many of them can coexist peacefully in one place. 80-meter-class Great Dragon is a Monster as Borr Aka is, indicating even one Great Dragon in action means literally HUGE trouble.

(In oTorg, at at least a Water Dragon(which is evil) is confirmed eating Uvwe(seal-people) in Relics of Power Trilogy. Metal Dragons(neutral) are known as metal-eaters, which sometimes eat metal armors regardless of what is inside.)

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:
(In oTorg, at at least a Water Dragon(which is evil) is confirmed eating Uvwe(seal-people) in Relics of Power Trilogy. Metal Dragons(neutral) are known as metal-eaters, which sometimes eat metal armors regardless of what is inside.)

Bezladrakusm the Living Inferno wrote:I like these snacks they call Knights. They're crunchy on the outside with a nice, chewy center.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:01 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fli ... gons_(book)

Possibly the one case where the film is actually better (though not as informative) than the book.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”