Does anyone have any plans for Babylon in the Nile Empire?

Zackzenobi

Does anyone have any plans for Babylon in the Nile Empire?

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 pm

So for the Nile Empire, the newly recreated city of Babylon is the open sandbox for GMs to do with as we please? The Nile Sourcebook mentions the Hanging Gardens getting recreated but that is all that is cannon. After that it is up to us. I was just wondering if anyone had put any thoughts to it 'and what they were planning on doing?

Kanaris

Re: Does anyone have any plans for Babylon in the Nile Empire?

Postby Kanaris » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Nothing concrete yet, but I want it to be a contrast to adventuring in or around Cairo. There you have a population which has largely loyal to Mobius and converted to Amaatism, but also crime gangs, good cops, a concentration of pulp heros and villains - it emphasises the pulp and noir crime/street elements of the cosm. Babylon, on the other hand, I figure would emphasise the fascistic, war/occupation and religious/apocalyptic elements - a conquered but disloyal and resentful population, most of whom would retain their original religion and now have a spiritual axiom where their prayers are unambiguously answered. You'll have brutal religious and military police arrayed against a variety of resistance groups - I'll probably bring back something like OTorg's Swords of Saladin, as well as use outright villains like Daesh (the ISIS acronym being almost ironic in the TorgE context). I don't doubt that most people in the Middle East would see Mobius' invasion as truly apocalyptic - Israel is facing a literal Pharaoh again, and for muslims Mobius is not only laying siege to Mecca and Medina, but encouraging the faithful to commit the gravest sins in the book - apostasy, polytheism and idolatry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(Islam)). These elements would be de-emphasised in Egypt itself because of Mobius' control dominance there, but in Babylon/Iraq/Syria they would be unrestrained. And though Iran would be nervously looking East and North at actual demons/horrors, Mobius is now on their doorstep.

I haven't groked the supernatural parts yet: what is distinctive about the conquering Egypt That Never Was outside of Egypt, returning elements of the near eastern pantheons, a rogue zeppelin called the Nebuchadnezzer ... I might wait to see what is revealed about Isis and Osiris not being part of the TorgE Ennead they were with OTorg. Deanna and Darrell definitely have something in the works to be revealed in year 2 or 3 in that direction, though for now I expect all we'll get is the Delphic smile of the Sphinx :)

I gots to know.jpg
I gots to know.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 573 times

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm

:mrgreen:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:08 am

My first thought is that the Hanging Gardens might need plenty of Irrigation so maybe a Canal system off the river Ur? That way we dont have to go back to Venice every time we want a good motorboat chase scene through Canals.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 pm

One of my PCs is a Nile strongman called Gilgamesh with a strength of 13 and super attribute strength. I'm thinking of him going to Babylon and being mistaken for the rightful King.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am

Speaking of fascistic things, we know that statues go up all over the place but what about flags? I think some kind of flag/banner/etc designs could be super-useful to show draped over everything, with flag-porting stormtroopers marching at the head of a line, GIANT flags draped off of balconies, etc.

Really nail that "We have occupied your city. Praise us and we shall rule you kindly" vibe that sets people on edge. None of the other High Lords really works it like the Pharoh does.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 pm

What does the Nile Empire flag look like?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:What does the Nile Empire flag look like?

I have no idea but, boy howdy, would I like to. :D

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:What does the Nile Empire flag look like?

I keep thinking of Napoleon with his eagles on the top of totems. I would imagine something like the head of a crocodile for the god Sebek or the sun for Ra on totems at the front of every battalion.

Probably flags would be blue (representing the sky) with a golden star (representing Ra) in the middle. Maybe framed in red (representing the blood spilt by the Pharaohs army... then it has red and blue for Eternity.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:14 pm

I’d do a black ankh in a white circle on a red field.

Basically, take the Nazi flag but replace the swastika.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”