Does anyone have any plans for Babylon in the Nile Empire?

Gargoyle

Re: Does anyone have any plans for Babylon in the Nile Empire?

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 am

Something with ancient Sumerian gods.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 am

Gargoyle wrote:Something with ancient Sumerian gods.

I could see messing with a D&D player’s head.

GM: You must stop the evil machinations of Tiamat.
Player: Pfft, are we in Nile or Aysle?
GM: TIAMAT PREDATES BOTH GAMES!
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 am

Kuildeous wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Something with ancient Sumerian gods.

I could see messing with a D&D player’s head.

GM: You must stop the evil machinations of Tiamat.
Player: Pfft, are we in Nile or Aysle?
GM: TIAMAT PREDATES BOTH GAMES!

If Tiamat is having Evil machinations, you may have blundered into an Ororsh area. :-)
Tell them that Ishtar is launching a war effort (pronouncing the "I" as "ee" of course) and watch them twice ;-)

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:57 am

Kanaris wrote:I haven't groked the supernatural parts yet: what is distinctive about the conquering Egypt That Never Was outside of Egypt, returning elements of the near eastern pantheons, a rogue zeppelin called the Nebuchadnezzer ... I might wait to see what is revealed about Isis and Osiris not being part of the TorgE Ennead they were with OTorg. Deanna and Darrell definitely have something in the works to be revealed in year 2 or 3 in that direction, though for now I expect all we'll get is the Delphic smile of the Sphinx :)

Glad I searched the forum for "Osiris" as I was framing an adventure that I now fear would have been in contradiction. Obviously no specifics can be forthcoming, but I am guessing I should stay away from writing a plot that "resurrects" Osiris if I want be certain to be consistent with (future) canon?

Graethynne

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:24 am

graethynne wrote:Glad I searched the forum for "Osiris" as I was framing an adventure that I now fear would have been in contradiction. Obviously no specifics can be forthcoming, but I am guessing I should stay away from writing a plot that "resurrects" Osiris if I want be certain to be consistent with (future) canon?

Yeah, I'm sure Deanna and Darrell (and Greg!) have plans with Isis (not ISIS!) and Osiris. Both gods were part of the OTorg Ennead, and the historical Egyptian Ennead. The change was not just cosmetic because in the new Nile sourcebook Deanna has included the Book of Osiris and the Heart of Osiris.

Of course, Willow uses an Urn of Osiris to resurrect Buffy. A few hellmouths have opened up on the subcontinent... :D

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure anyone has asked whether Isis and Osiris are referred to in the Terran Egyptian mythos. Did they appear but were anathematized as Set sometimes was - a reversal of what happened in Earth Egypt? It will be interesting to see whether they feature in the mythos of the Egypt That Never Was.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:36 am

There's some interesting parallels between Osiris and Mobius himself. Killed by brother. Resurrected some time later. Just saying...

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Kanaris wrote:
graethynne wrote:Glad I searched the forum for "Osiris" as I was framing an adventure that I now fear would have been in contradiction. Obviously no specifics can be forthcoming, but I am guessing I should stay away from writing a plot that "resurrects" Osiris if I want be certain to be consistent with (future) canon?

Yeah, I'm sure Deanna and Darrell (and Greg!) have plans with Isis (not ISIS!) and Osiris. Both gods were part of the OTorg Ennead, and the historical Egyptian Ennead. The change was not just cosmetic because in the new Nile sourcebook Deanna has included the Book of Osiris and the Heart of Osiris.

Of course, Willow uses an Urn of Osiris to resurrect Buffy. A few hellmouths have opened up on the subcontinent... :D

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure anyone has asked whether Isis and Osiris are referred to in the Terran Egyptian mythos. Did they appear but were anathematized as Set sometimes was - a reversal of what happened in Earth Egypt? It will be interesting to see whether they feature in the mythos of the Egypt That Never Was.

There certainly is a bit of a backstory there that may or may not get explored. A lot of the time we put possible plot threads into books to see if people like them or not. Those that people talk about favorably, we're more likely to pick up.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Oh goodness yes. Sprinkle those subplots round like seeds in a garden! You never know when you'll need to come back to something.

My general rule is to have at least one on each page in a book, which is a tad excessive, but, some are for me, some are for other writers, and some are just freebies sitting there for players, so it works out in the end. It can be as simple as "This is a cool item. Here's a nod to its backstory. Taadaa!"

But I put those things *everywhere*. :D

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:00 am

I agree completely :D The effervescence of ideas in the books pointing to the future, as much as the streamlined rules, are what have convinced me we are on good hands. It was the sheer creativity of OTorg in systems and setting that blew my gaming group away in the 90s, and I am so glad we have the opportunity to participate in the 2nd edition to iron out the kinks and take the game forward. Onward to my favourite, the CP, and beyond!

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Kanaris wrote:I agree completely :D The effervescence of ideas in the books pointing to the future, as much as the streamlined rules, are what have convinced me we are on good hands. It was the sheer creativity of OTorg in systems and setting that blew my gaming group away in the 90s, and I am so glad we have the opportunity to participate in the 2nd edition to iron out the kinks and take the game forward. Onward to my favourite, the CP, and beyond!

Actually I think this is about v4
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”