Aysle setting Q&A thread

coyotegrey

Re: Aysle setting Q&A thread

Postby coyotegrey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:53 am

Wotan wrote:
Istrian wrote:A few lines about Corsair internal politics would have been nice, since they seem to be very different from Aylish society.

There's a few paragraphs about the Corsairs on P80-81, in the Isle of Man section.

Oh cool! That's exactly what I was looking for.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 am

What does Utherion's natural form actually look like?

Maybe I just missed this, but the closest I've found is him being described as a horrific Orrorshian monster, which is pretty vague.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:31 am

I bet he looks like this.

“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Probably something tentacular. It's Orrorsh, after all. :D

Meanwhile, I'm a tad curious about modern clothing in Aysle. We see Pella herself wearing tennis shoes, for instance - how well do they hold up under Aysle axioms? Wouldn't they just morph into leather bootlets or the like? I have this weird mental image of Elves in Ireland flocking to shopping malls and being, like, "OMG, Starsong, you have GOT to check this out! Silk? Nylon? I have no idea what this stuff is BUT I HAVE TO HAVE IT!"

And the salesmen all, like, "Gentlemen, that's not really-"

*shoves gold coins at him* "We'll take the set!"

"... not really a problem at all. In fact, if you'll follow me, I think you might find some more interesting things over here."

Because Elves and fashion are TIGHT and new materials is going to be just overwhelming and awesome.

(And we need more mixed zones. Hrm.)

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Apparently, Pella relies on her reality-rating to handle her sneakers and wristwatch, except in combat, when she takes them off to avoid contradiction.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

FrankG wrote:The description of Clankers in the Reality section seems to differ from the description in the Threats section. Or at least my interpretation of the descriptions does.

From Reality:

• loud, semi-mechanical things
  • They are an assemblage of all manner of inanimate object, forming a loose skeletal-like frame, typically with a pair of arms and legs and a make-shift head
  • The composition of the creatures is due to the availability of objects where they first form

From Threats:

• Large metal statues are the most common subjects, but other vaguely humanoid shapes have “come to life” as well, including vehicle wreckage!

Does the Threat section literally mean "statues?" Like a single metal statue could become a clanker? Or is that something else?

At the very least, reskinning works here. But most clankers are the jumble of parts.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm

pkitty wrote:What does Utherion's natural form actually look like?

Maybe I just missed this, but the closest I've found is him being described as a horrific Orrorshian monster, which is pretty vague.

He doesn't have one any more. If he's Defeated and he is unable to possess someone else, he dies.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Hey, all! So, as I read the Aysle preview over, I came across something I've not seen anybody talk about that actually left me a little bit stunned...

Uthorian believed that the Torg was a gestalt/amalgamation being, not just of one High Lord and their Darkness Device but *many* potent beings. This raises a *ton* of questions to me that aren't really answered.

It's fundamentally true that *nobody* fully grasps what the Torg is, not even the Gaunt Man. The Darkness Devices *might,* but if so they haven't been eager to share more than hints and allegations. That said, how the heck did Uthorian come to *such* a radically different conclusion than all the other High Lords? Did the Gaunt Man lie to him? If so, why didn't Drakacanus disabuse him of the idea - it *does* like messing with him, but Uthorian was pretty solidly in control at least at *first* if I recall correctly, and that's the kind of misapprehension that can lead to a causal chain of bad decisions that might not make Drakacanus happy.

Moreover, if becoming Torg was the clear underpinning of why reality raiding and the Core Earth invasion were important to the other High Lords, why wouldn't Uthorian at least investigate what that might mean on his own? None of the *other* High Lords behave like the Torg is a gestalt being at all... Did he not notice nobody else on the playing field behaving in a way that would support the idea? Uthorian has a Mind 17 and a boatload of magic at his disposal... I get that he was profoundly loyal, and that can blind you... I'm just wondering how he came to and kept the apprehension of what the Torg is for as long as he did. It feels like there's backstory there that might be a fun stomping ground for GMs to play in...

Until now, I've been operating in my game under the premise that there actually *is* no such thing as the Torg, and that it's a legend the Darkness Devices use to keep their High Lords in line. Now, I'm contemplating how hilarious it would be if Uthorian was the only High Lord who *correctly* understood its nature - becoming Torg requires too much Possibility Energy for any single High Lord and DD to contain; the reason nobody has ever achieved it is because they're all too selfish to grasp it needs *multiple* HL's and DD's, just like the invasion itself.... Thoughts?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 am

Look, Lord U is just very, very, VERY polyamorous. If the DD thinks whispering sweet lovepiles in his ear will keep him on track, then so be it.

Let's not kinkshame the poor man. He just wants to hug everyone at the same time. Forever.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 am

Synarchist wrote:Uthorian believed that the Torg was a gestalt/amalgamation being, not just of one High Lord and their Darkness Device but *many* potent beings. This raises a *ton* of questions to me that aren't really answered. ...

Have you read Old TORG's War's End?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”