Queen Buckingham....

videopete

Queen Buckingham....

Postby videopete » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Really, that is the best worst name my seven year old self could come up with. That has to be revenge for the chunnel contaversy.

Wotan

Re: Queen Buckingham....

Postby Wotan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

videopete wrote:Really, that is the best worst name my seven year old self could come up with. That has to be revenge for the chunnel contaversy.

Nah, I reckon it could've been much worse... *grin*

If I'm honest I'd have preferred they kept "Windsor", but given that TorgE likes to change RL names, to avoid any unnecessary controversy or offense, it seems as close to a "like for like" replacement as one could hope for IMHO.
Lets be honest, when the Saxe-Coburg Gothas decided that a German dynastic name wasn't a great idea, during WW1, they just picked one of their British estates as the new dynastic name. So they could have as easily plumped to pick Buckingham instead of Windsor in RL.

But, it's really a very easy thing to "house rule" if it bugs you excessively. *shrug*
Last edited by Wotan on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitchfinder General

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:58 pm

There was a little bit of a debate on it. :)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

videopete

Postby videopete » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:06 pm

TorgHacker wrote:There was a little bit of a debate on it. :)

I want you to know the queen of England is now going to be burdened with a voice that's a cross between Mrs Doubtfire and Terry Jones.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:43 am

videopete wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:There was a little bit of a debate on it. :)

I want you to know the queen of England is now going to be burdened with a voice that's a cross between Mrs Doubtfire and Terry Jones.

[Jon Stewart "the Queen" voice]
Hello!
[/Jon Stewart "the Queen" voice]

darrell

Postby darrell » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 am

I have to admit; as a Brit' it grated...

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 am

I love the Aysle sourcebook, but at first had a number of conflicting thoughts about the Buckinghams. Which led to a resolution. Basically:

1. For me (and probably my players), going with made-up British royals is going to be distracting. (Like, being Canadian, I have to imagine a world in which my money looks different. Seems a bit much.)

(1a. There's a mention in the book of the House of Buckingham ruling for 450 years, which implies that British history looks pretty different. Which is interesting since the Duke of Buckingham in the late 17th Century was a dabbler in alchemy. So hmm.)

2. The Prince Edmund plot looks very interesting, though, and fits the fantasy genre well; it's a good example of the invasion and the reality shifts interacting with the "real world."

3. I'm not wild about having an actual member of the House of Windsor playing that part.

What I'm thinking as a resolution to the foregoing: in my campaign, Edmund grew up a poor orphan who got work as a farmhand. Then the invasion hit, he found a magic sword (or other artifact), and got drawn into an adventure in the course of which he discovered he's actually a bastard son of Prince Charles who was quietly left an orphanage, his existence covered up. So the "popular charismatic battle-leading Prince" is still there, the "playing into fantasy story archetypes" is still there, and the sympathetic royal leader is somebody who grew up as an average guy among the common people.

May refine that a bit, but that's my first set of thoughts.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:05 am

darrell wrote:I have to admit; as a Brit' it grated...

It's no worse than your local friendly bus driver packing heat...

Though I do like Matthews point 3 to integrate various aspects.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:04 pm

darrell wrote:I have to admit; as a Brit' it grated...

Same here. Why can't they just say 'The Royal Family' or The Queen etc. Why, why, why!
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

darrell

Postby darrell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:05 am

Count Thalim wrote:It's no worse than your local friendly bus driver packing heat...

I try not to think about that. :)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”