Queen Buckingham....

JohnBiles

Re: Queen Buckingham....

Postby JohnBiles » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:03 am

Matthew Surridge wrote:
(1a. There's a mention in the book of the House of Buckingham ruling for 450 years, which implies that British history looks pretty different. Which is interesting since the Duke of Buckingham in the late 17th Century was a dabbler in alchemy. So hmm.)

So the Buckinghams come to power about 450 years ago. That means 1569. During Queen Elizabeth's Reign.

What happens in 1569? Northern nobles revolt and try to put Mary, Queen of Scots on the throne. In the real world, they fail. In this world, they defeat Elizabeth, behead her, and install Mary. James VI inherits the throne on her death, still, but various small changes cascade, ending up with a royal family named Buckingham by the present.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Whoops; I'd wonder how I got the centuries mixed up, except I'm pretty sure it's because I knew about Villiers the alchemist, and was keen to think of him establishing a dynasty.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm

For the record, this name was suggested independently by two Brits. And I guarantee it was preferable to the name we originally had down. Trust me on this one.

But yeah, while we don't have a lot of problem basing characters loosely on real public figures, we don't want to actually name them the same.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”