Aysle Backer Archetypes

Wakshani

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Wakshani » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:13 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Coming to the end of the process of my Backer Archetype creation w Darrell, I am really stoked to see what everyone else came up with.

I know, right? I'm *super* curious.

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:47 pm

I would like to see (or play) a fantasy author who has been surprised to learn his unsuccessful books about a place called Aysle have become reality.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Coming to the end of the process of my Backer Archetype creation w Darrell, I am really stoked to see what everyone else came up with.

Mine's a Core Earth born (no such thing in our games!) young wealthy heiress with money-related perks.

Darrell (who is always super-helpful with the process) suggested the concept sounded a lot like Tahani from the TV show 'The Good Place'... which is something I've never seen, but yeah, upon reading about her she seems a perfect fit.

In our game, where Pella Ardinay came as conqueror and not liberator, she essentially plays Tyrion or Varys to Ardinay's Daenerys. The archetype version will probably be fluffier and nicer :)
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Quietly crosses off "Lordling" from to-do list.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 am

coyotegrey wrote:I would like to see (or play) a fantasy author who has been surprised to learn his unsuccessful books about a place called Aysle have become reality.

I like it. I'm thinking hes a Core Earth character with a Reality Perk that makes Scholar Aysle a favored skill.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:
coyotegrey wrote:I would like to see (or play) a fantasy author who has been surprised to learn his unsuccessful books about a place called Aysle have become reality.

I like it. I'm thinking hes a Core Earth character with a Reality Perk that makes Scholar Aysle a favored skill.

I would go the more boring route: Prescience. Make the character a Profit ala Chuck, before Chuck became CHUCK.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Isnt that really similar to Second Sight in regular fantasy stories? Maybe I'm missing something. Never watched Chuck.

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Isnt that really similar to Second Sight in regular fantasy stories? Maybe I'm missing something. Never watched Chuck.

I assume it’s a reference to Chuck, aka his pen name “Carver Edlund”, a character in the TV show Supernatural, who writes a series of modern horror/fantasy books called “Supernatural” that happen to mirror the real life events of Sam and Dean Winchester (the main characters of the Supernatural TV show).

I assume “profit” was supposed to be “prophet”, because he was portrayed as a prophet of God which was how he got the ideas for his books.

Skip the rest of my post if you hate spoilers.

The idea of Chuck becoming CHUCK is that Chuck is actually God Himself, slumming it on Earth, and he’s the author of the entire universe.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Ok I was coming at it from a different angle. Like they did in DC comics when they said the writers tapped into the other universe where the Heroes lived and were actually telling stories that happened in the other universe. This way the Storm Knight would subconsciously have access to any info in Aysle depending on his roll. Ymmv.

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 pm

I think stuff from Fables (the comic) works well in Aysle. The Adversary would be an interesting way to change Uthorion. The previous worlds that the Adversary conquered could be interesting former cosms Uthorion conquered before Aysle. (In the comic, they are basically other worlds from fiction such as Oz, Wonderland, Middle Earth, etc.). Maybe some refugees are still around or have been drafted into the Dark armies.

As far as Chuck goes, that could be an interesting take of a new version of the "High Lord of Earth." He exists, but he's in hiding. :)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”