Aysle Backer Archetypes

Zackzenobi

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 am

For the Elven Monk, I always loved Kansas Jim's alternate Martial Arts rules. They let other Cosms have a level of Martial Arts disciplines tied to the Social axiom. That way we had the Elven Monk w Elven Kung Fu.

I guess they could have some sort of Elf Perk in Torg Eternity.
Prerequisite- Elf, +3 faith in Elimir

Effect- makes Monk a badass somehow....?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:52 am

You could probably make a nice perk tree out of it. Start with something akin to:

Harmonic Fist - This character's unarmed attacks ignore toughness bonuses.

(Thus they deal damage to people in body armor, dinos with leathery skin, or kick through magical shields; you only get your raw Strength against their unarmed attacks.)

Season to taste from there. Maybe just have an "Elven Martial Arts" tree with "Pick three" and have a dozen-ish smaller modifiers that you could choose, like arrow-swating (+2 Defense against missile weapons) and Meditative Trance (+2 Willpower against mind control), etc.

Certainly doable.

Of course, I also wonder if there's not an Elf or two who transformed to the Star Sphere and are quietly rocking the psionics out there.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm

I do like the Harmonic Fist idea. I think it might need a little tweaking. As written, it is stronger than the Ki power Focused Strike (pay 1 shock for an AP 4 melee or unarmed attack) with none of the cost. I think Elven martial arts should cost more, so that the Ki Perks are stronger by design. To me, the Ki Perks represent "True Martial Arts" and should be stronger than Fantasy martial arts. Or at the very least they should feel differently.

I mean no disrespect. I do like your ideas and dont mean go disparage them or you.

YMMV

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:12 pm

By no means is that disrespect! Just an off-the-top-of-the-noggin thought and the comparison to Ki: Focused Strike ability is totally valid. Stronger and no cost = too strong so would have to be revised downwards.

That's what brainstorming's about: Toss out ideas, toss out bad ones, salvage the good ones with additional labor. I like the AP more than a damage boost, but maybe -2 AP with no cost vs the other's -4AP with cost? Hrm. It'd take some playtesting for sure, but the general vibe seems a good one.

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:To me, the Ki Perks represent "True Martial Arts" and should be stronger than Fantasy martial arts. Or at the very least they should feel differently

Since magic is so prominent in Aysle, how about a perk that lets someone infuse magic into their physical being in order to boost their attacks, kind of like the Physical Adept from Shadowrun? It could be something analogous to the new Spellbook perk. For example:

Spell Sword/ Spell Fist
Prerequisite: Melee 2 or Unarmed 2, Spellcaster perk
Learn three new spells, but all of your known spells are cast as melee or unarmed attacks that only affect successfully hit targets. When attacking, add your die roll to your melee or unarmed combat value to determine if you hit, and to the appropriate magical skill to determine the success level of the effect.

That way, a monk’s special abilities are as customizable as their spell selections allow. Know Fireball? Congratulations, you’ve got a “Fire Fist” attack that does 14 fire damage on a hit. Know the Lightning spell? “Lightning Fist”, for 16 damage AP 4. Stun spell? “Stunning Fist”, etc.

It could also be combined with the new magical specialties for extra benefits and extra versatility in attacks. I think it’s flavorful, anyway.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:38 pm

I really like this Physical Adept idea. I think it has a LOT of merit!!

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 pm

pkitty wrote:I want to see a Keefee "Haroo" who explored the tunnels from Merretika to Aysle and now is mistaken by all of the Aylish for a hobbit.

Careful! Thoughts like these can be hobbit-forming! :lol: :mrgreen:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Atama

Postby Atama » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 am

This is getting hobbit ridiculous. :|
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am

Well I dont care how they do it. I just hope we get an Elven Monk somehow.

Any other Hope's and Dreams?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 am

Assassin that uses magic (and darkness perks)
Necromancer
Transformed Tharkoldu.
Transformed Race Soldier with magic equivalent cyberware!
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”