What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

TorgHacker

What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm finalizing some stuff now, but need to fill in some gaps. So I figured I'd ask for what you folks are curious about.

Specifically I'm looking for things to put into the Warzones chapter. Paris and Avignon are covered already, and the GodNet is covered too. But as a little early preview, we're basically splitting the Warzones into 'types' rather than regions: essentially the Sprawls, the Wilds, and the GodNet. Because the CP is monolithic, one city is very similar to another city, though there may be minor variations.

Also, though major transformations didn't occur, there was a reorganizing of the rural and urban areas. Essentially the cities get a lot bigger (and taller), but the rural areas depopulate and become more like medieval era wilderness and farms. The monastaries are out there.

Portugal will be the "White Zone" for this book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Istrian

Re: What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Postby Istrian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm

I'd like to know what the landscape looks like. When I think "cyber" I tend to imagine skyscrapers and neons. I am having trouble reconciling that with the old Roman, Renaissance and 18th century architectures prevalent in Europe.

What is daily life like? I imagine the low Social Axiom caused a massive loss of jobs due to being no longer able to organise large-scale industry and services. How does an Ord view their neighbors? I also imagine feudal-like micro-communities have formed around leader-type people. How do Storm Knights manage to communicate with such communities without arousing suspicion? Do people still communicate across long distances through the GodNet or have they stopped caring? Do people still move around and how easy is it do so?

Obviously the question of persecution arises.

How does the Resistance work, communicate and survive? WW2's French Resistance was basically a bunch of people taking action independently with very little coordination between cells, which enabled them to avoid losing the whole "organisation" when agents got arrested. How would that work with the GodNet and advanced monitoring technology?

How does the Cyberchurch and all of its branches work (Church Police, Inquisition, ordinary priests, monasteries, GodNet pawns)? Who talks to whom? Who obeys whose orders? What kind of resources do they have access to? How much physical presence do they have in the streets? How much do they rely on technology instead?

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:35 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Portugal will be the "White Zone" for this book.

Yay, that is where most of my Cyberpapacy missions have taken place. I won't contradict Canon for once.

For war zones there are three areas I would be interested in and they are all border ones. You have the other side of the channel with the Asyle mixed zone, the border with Germany (which I have a mental map of being the secular front) and the border with Italy/the holy see (the religious front).
Each of these are where the Cyberpapacy buts up against another major power of an opposing type. So how the conflict plays out will be different with different factions and opportunities.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm

1. Details about the Aysle-Cyberpapal mixed zones.
I've always imagined them as hotbeds for Cyberwitch activity, because they could take advantage of Aysle's Law of Magic to pump up their magic totals by taking shock (possibly even being a double-efficient strategy if they have Hexxers), and get rewarded occasionally by magic items from the Law of Enchantment. The cyber-covens that could philosophically be drawn there might not have the citizenry's best interests at heart, though . . . risking death from the constant storms, plus hurting oneself by failing spell checks on purpose to charge the Hexxer, plus then hurting oneself further by pumping the final total with more shock damage, is pretty dark; and the risk of summoning a demon with each and every cast due to the Law of Heretical Magic makes it even darker. Seems like witches that don't care about their own welfare, and also don't care the collateral damage to others, might not make for the best good guys . . . :)

We'll see what's actually there soon, though.

2. The Amazon.
Sure, it can be classified as a general "Wild" area, but it seems like it'd be much different in flavor than the wilderness areas of France and Spain. I'd be interested in things like, "Is heavy deforestation still occurring there?" I can see it going either way. The CP may have little to no need for petroleum products or more agricultural space given their high tech level, but they may still have an equal or greater need for mined minerals. They may even seek out the indigenous tribes on purpose in order to forceably convert them, depending on how many resources they're willing to allocate mostly just for doctrinal reasons.

I can envision very cool situations though, like tribes of indigenous people living a simple hunter-gatherer lifestyle deep in the jungle, far from any settlements; and yet also having wireless access to the God Net at the same time. Fully aware of "civilization" to an unprecedented degree for them, and being able to "visit" it (virtually) whenever they want, and yet still almost completely physically isolated from the authorities. Which could come in pretty handy, if any of them get up to monkeywrenching the CP online, or get targeted for conversion. Maybe some tribes have "techno-shamans", a cool indigenous twist to the cyberwitch. The juxtaposition between access to high-tech tools, and yet sticking to traditionally low-tech cultures and belief systems, seems like it could be great fodder for interesting characters and roleplay situations, anyway.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm

What the cities, suburbs, and rural areas look like.

darrell

Postby darrell » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm

What's going on in the Carnac area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac), given its Neolithic menhirs and it proximity to the Aysle/Cyberpapacy mixed zone.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Word count is such a demon. I'd love to rattle on about how I see the society work but we could be here for a while. The legal system *alone* is fascinating, but, NDA and all that, so I'll be mum unless Deanna points you to me to yammer about something in particular, like the slums, vertical farms, or the legal system.

But man oh man, do I love this stuff.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 pm

I'd like to see stuff on Spain, especially things that interact with the unique ethnic and cultural groups there. There's an opportunity to do something interesting with "how the Basque meshed with the CP" or "how the Catalans meshed with the CP."
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm sure you have probably covered all these, but they are a kind of brain dump...

With the lower social axioms, are there cottage industries and how do they work?

I imagine that every town or slum has 3d printers and cyber docs ready to install whatever you can pay for... so how does the criminal element work? How does the black market work? How does getting IDs work? How do you fool a police state without being caught by facial recognition every 5 minutes.

Parkour started in France I believe, is this a theme that could be used. How do the street gangs operate in the slums? How is religion viewed in the slums? With the high magic axiom, do people turn to magic and shy away from miracles because of the cyberpope in the slums or wilds?

As people have said before what is the architecture and normal life like?

How does travel work? Flying cars? Is travel with permits and checkpoints to stop dissidents? If I were to rent a car, what's the process over ID, payment etc.? I would imagine it would be hard fo SK to get around simply because ID would be needed all the time.

How do the french feel about the resurgent of christianity when in 1986 81% identifies themselves as Christians but now its 51% 30 years later.

Do the french still strike over wages et. al. and what is the governments reaction?

Is there a divide between church and state anymore?

France has nukes and nuclear submarines, how does that work for the Pope? Does he have the launch codes and why hasn't he used them on PP or Tharkold?

What's going on with the Vatican?

France is famous for its wine, what's happening in the wilds with wineries? What's happening with french castles?

So many questions, so little space.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 pm

While answering all of that would be fun (and possible!), I think what Deanna's looking for is more "What do you want to see in the Cyberpapacy book, with a focus on the warzones" more than a Q&A session. *those* kinds of questions will be during the Kickstarter and when the book drops, I think.

But for GeniusCodeMonkey and Istrian in particular, these are awesome questions and I hope you'll dig the answers once they drop down the road.

Her big question was this:

Specifically I'm looking for things to put into the Warzones chapter. Paris and Avignon are covered already, and the GodNet is covered too. But as a little early preview, we're basically splitting the Warzones into 'types' rather than regions: essentially the Sprawls, the Wilds, and the GodNet. Because the CP is monolithic, one city is very similar to another city, though there may be minor variations.

The questions about the Italian front (and the Pope!) and the German front, for instance, were keen and I look forward to that info myself! (But I'm even more interested in that Aysle-Cyberpapapcy mixed zone. That thing could get *super* interesting...)

Does anyone want to see more about, say, the non-Euro expansion? Missionaries? Naval stuff? Nuclear threats? Space assets?

The conflict from warzones is where her curiosity is at the moment, I believe.

She'll correct me if I'm wrong. (And rightly so!)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”