What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Gargoyle

Re: What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:40 pm

I did a little bit of a twist IMC regarding demons. They are irredeemably evil, but I created a major demon named Luci who appeared as a human woman and made a deal with the Storm Knights, giving them the location of an eternity shard. Of course she had her own agenda. By taking the shard, they inadvertently freed a bunch of captive minor demons who attacked Toulouse and wreaked havoc in the countryside. The plus side of it was they were able to use the shard later to imprison a brood of kaiju hatchlings, probably saving most of Asia. But it was a big propaganda victory for the Cyberpapacy, which is why having the demons be unspeakably evil is interesting to me. Sometimes the Cyberpapacy are the heroes, at least in the short term. So it will be fun to see how that develops.

Oh and I decided the demons are actually the ones in control of gospog because Malreaux refused that particular gift. Of course the Cyberpope benefits from their attacks and it also helps win the propaganda war for him.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm

1 - Is encryption even a thing? I could see the church banning it because it's easier than developing their own code breakers. I could also see the church using exactly 1 algorithm that they know inside and out only to be completely stonewalled by the options available to Core Earth or Pan Pacifica. And if that's the case then the resistance is likely very, very interested in something as mundane as VeraCrypt.

2 - What happens when devices lose their connection to the GodNet? Do God Meeters go into a safe mode where they can't fire? Are Hosts suddenly free to act as they please? Does a priest's cyberware go into overdrive to guarantee their safety?

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 pm

What are Cyberpapacy-grown gospog like? How does the church view them?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I did a little bit of a twist IMC regarding demons. They are irredeemably evil, but I created a major demon named Luci who appeared as a human woman and made a deal with the Storm Knights, giving them the location of an eternity shard. Of course she had her own agenda. By taking the shard, they inadvertently freed a bunch of captive minor demons who attacked Toulouse and wreaked havoc in the countryside. The plus side of it was they were able to use the shard later to imprison a brood of kaiju hatchlings, probably saving most of Asia. But it was a big propaganda victory for the Cyberpapacy, which is why having the demons be unspeakably evil is interesting to me. Sometimes the Cyberpapacy are the heroes, at least in the short term. So it will be fun to see how that develops.

Oh and I decided the demons are actually the ones in control of gospog because Malreaux refused that particular gift. Of course the Cyberpope benefits from their attacks and it also helps win the propaganda war for him.

Oh, well, I think it's safe to say that demons are *thrilled* to help you! Why, they can solve almost any problem you might have!

But first there's the matter of the price...

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I did a little bit of a twist IMC regarding demons. They are irredeemably evil, but I created a major demon named Luci who appeared as a human woman and made a deal with the Storm Knights, giving them the location of an eternity shard. Of course she had her own agenda. By taking the shard, they inadvertently freed a bunch of captive minor demons who attacked Toulouse and wreaked havoc in the countryside. The plus side of it was they were able to use the shard later to imprison a brood of kaiju hatchlings, probably saving most of Asia. But it was a big propaganda victory for the Cyberpapacy, which is why having the demons be unspeakably evil is interesting to me. Sometimes the Cyberpapacy are the heroes, at least in the short term. So it will be fun to see how that develops.

I assumed he had the Cabal in charge of the Gospog. Malraux always seemed like a very ends justify the means kind of guy.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:05 am

Are there any Cyberpapacy/Tharkold mixed zones? And if a spell mishaps, does it summon a Tharkoldu to the spellcaster?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am

Zackzenobi wrote:

I assumed he had the Cabal in charge of the Gospog. Malraux always seemed like a very ends justify the means kind of guy.

Not even sure what the canon is, I just liked the idea of the Gaunt Man gifting them to the demons, creating a bit of a rift between him and Malreaux. Malreaux thinks he is the messiah, the good guy in all this. He really believes it. But of course he isn't and secretly delights in the destruction and death that the gospogs, herded by demons called Shepherds, do to the populace because he gets to play the savior. I feel like Volkov is the ultimate "end justifies the means" villain, whereas Malreaux is a false messiah who loves to play the part of savior but of course over time is way more devilish than any demon.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

I want more details on the religion of the cyberwitches. Nothing as elaborate as ROCE, not necessarily even as detailed as one of the entries in that book.

Just; even though it has been a contradiction since Malreaux made it one, people still follow that faith. I think some details on this would be worthwhile.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am

Savioronedge wrote:I want more details on the religion of the cyberwitches. Nothing as elaborate as ROCE, not necessarily even as detailed as one of the entries in that book.

Just; even though it has been a contradiction since Malreaux made it one, people still follow that faith. I think some details on this would be worthwhile.

That's a really good point. The World Laws go to a lot of trouble to make other religions verboten in the CP, which means it must have been an issue. I'd really like to see another CP-cosm-specific faith or two with their own miracle list and short description.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:13 am

I was saying to Darrell and Greg yesterday that I think the Cyberpapacy might be the cosm that is most surprisingly different in Torg Eternity.

I mean, everyone probably figured that there wouldn't be much change to the Nile Empire, but the Living Land would have significant differences.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”