What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

TorgHacker

Re: What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm

You’re basically correct.

I’ve done some of what’s been mentioned, but I’m really focusing on Warzones right now. Most of the book has been written and there’s just a few gaps that need to be filled.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:13 am

Something addressing the height of the realm and what effect it might have on Core Earth satellites might be nice. :)

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 am

Asyle SB wrote:Meanwhile, the Cyberpapacy hasn’t been getting as much attention, thanks to its non-aggressive stance and anti-invasion posturing. The Cyberpope has gone as far as offering assistance against the Ayslish marauders, which so far every nation in Europe has politely but firmly declined.

Going through the Asyle Sourcebook again and this paragraph caught my eye in relation to the Cyberpapacy. It suggests the CP/German border is more of a cold war or Europe 1938 (though with the border tensions reversed) than an active front.

My original reason for digging into the Asyle SB was to identify exactly what Deanna meant when she said Warzone. In the Sourcebooks this is a chapter on locations. Within the locations it details events, factions, personnel, etc...
These locations are the sort of thing that Deanna is after I think.

I've already mentioned the German front and the Italian/Holy See front (I'd love to see The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith involved, but given how carefully US has stepped regarding actual people and groups I'm not expecting it.

Another interesting location would be the Swiss Cantons. They have always been very independent minded and by Day 90 only half the country was occupied. They also have CERN, now fully covered by the CP. To my group this does just scream of Giant hi-tech summoning circle.

From a very British perspective what is Gibraltar like? At day 90 it falls just outside the boundaries of the CP on what is probably considered the quietest border with them so would make a perfect staging post for Delphi operations into the Iberian peninsular. It also has a long history of being one of the only fortifications the UK had in an often hostile Europe (Or if preferred the only part of the continent we have occupied for a long time, we have a lot of ambiguous bits scattered around the world)
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:15 am

Great! In that case I'd be interested in the South American expansion. The Beta Primer gives some information about a 3-stage plan. I'd like to read more details, such as how missionaries were viewed at first, how they gained the locals' trust, how they managed to get their technology to work (if they did) before the stelae were dropped or if it was more a sort of spiritual healing. I'm sure the Delphi Council and the local governments tried to mount a response. How did that work out?

I assume since GodNet is connected to the Internet, it would count as a Warzone. What kind of operations does the CP launch over the normal Internet. Can hackers access GodNet data from outside and how? Is there a Great GodNet Firewall and how hot is it? Does Ebenuscrux seek control over the Internet? Is there a DarkGodNet just as there is a Dark Web?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:28 am

DarkGodNet I like that.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:29 am

Underground. France has many Karst and limestone caverns, and in Possibility Wars there can be literal "underground activities." More on that, under Cyberpapal Reality(with elevated Magic and Spirit Axioms) there can be something really supernatural in the deep underground...

Natural and supernatural creatures as "third parties"more than just "angels" and "demons", especially beings of (Core Earth or Magna Verita)medieval mythology.
Cyberpapacy seems to suffer less from envoronmental catastroph then usual cyberpunk settings, and creatures from medieval mythology reemerging with elevated Magic and Spirit Axiom can make Cyberpapacy truly unique.
(And rogue cyberbeasts from malfunction or malevolent supernatural intervention can interesting and dangerous opportunity.)
*Edited: I found that I don't want to limit them into "third parties" only.

...By the way, did nuclear power plant accidents happen in TorgE Cyberpapacy? If it did, maybe nuclear hot zones can appear as a "warzone", where heretics risk radiation poisoning to evade Church Police.

Inefficiency of the Church surveillance system due to "ancien regime" which is seen obsolete even under Social Axiom 18, and how La Resistance(and Storm Knights) can find and exploit it.
Maybe it is already dicussed, but Social Axiom issues are often overlooked and mixture of cybertechnology and "ancien regime" is one of the unique factor of Cyberpapacy, and when the bad guys using this peculiar Axioms to establish a high-tech dogmatic surveillance society how players can survive this strange society should be explained.

Overseas operatives, and how their Church spyware works outside Cyberpapal Reality. some Tharkold thralls had their explosive slave-collars malfunctioned under Core Earth Reality, but can Cyberpapal agents be free from the GodNet in similar ways?
Last edited by QuarrelBlue on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:02 pm

I'd like to know if there are Templars and Cathars running around, either from Core Earth or Magna Verita. So that might fit into a discussion of southern France.

I'd also like to know if the Cyberpapacy's trying to get into Québec.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:I'd also like to know if the Cyberpapacy's trying to get into Québec.

Oooh, that’s a good point. If the CP has any designs on Quebec/New England, even if it’s only in the infiltration/spreading propaganda stage right now, then that might make for a good war zone entry.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 pm

I assume The Wilds will include information on Mont Blanc and the french mountains. I go skiing in France every few years and it's a big tourist attraction. Generally skiing in France or Austria you can walk between the peaks on the ski resorts between countries. I know the reality storm boundaries aren't on country lines, but any SK that needs to walk between Free Europe and the CP could go over the mountains... so what beasties and precaution do we need to take.

Also for famous natural landmarks in France... https://www.atlasandboots.com/best-natu ... in-france/
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

HappyDaze

Postby HappyDaze » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:04 pm

I'd like to know more about the demons of the Cyberpapacy. IIRC, they are enemies of the state (even though they have been manipulated by the Cyberpope or his DD), but what are they like, what do they want, and can they be used against the CP?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”