What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Wakshani

Re: What do you want to know about the Cyberpapacy

Postby Wakshani » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 am

TorgHacker wrote:I was saying to Darrell and Greg yesterday that I think the Cyberpapacy might be the cosm that is most surprisingly different in Torg Eternity.

I mean, everyone probably figured that there wouldn't be much change to the Nile Empire, but the Living Land would have significant differences.

The Cyberpapacy had the advantage of being, I think, the most unique in oTorg. You had Victorian Horror, Lost World, Cyberpunk, Pulp Action.... and then this funky high-tech Catholic thing with musketeers and giant buildings and neon lights and werewolves and nobody really knew what to do with it. The biggest thing was how CLOSED it was … due to the old super-strong Reality Storms, and Malreaux's hand-sitting style, it was as if France had all but vanished, and if you entered the ring, you'd find the middle Paris ring inside, looking for help.

There's never been mention of superstorms cutting the Cybepapacy off this time and Malreaux, while not aggressive, isn't *passive*, and his "Fear not my child, I'm here to help" approach is just so dang cool. There's probably a good lobby effort to get him to join the Delphi Council even.

"We should let him in."
(Quinn) "Are you insane?"
"Not at all! He wants to sell us weapons, food, teach our people how to call on miracles..."
"He's an INVADER."
"So's Pella Ardinay and you begged us to let HER join!"
"That's different."
"How's it different?"
"He's a high lord."
"So was she."
"... it's DIFFERENT!"

I love seeing Malreaux portrayed as the highly-skilled, long-term High Lord that he is. (He also gets the best villain song in my head, but that's a whole other discussion. :D )

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Wakshani wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:I was saying to Darrell and Greg yesterday that I think the Cyberpapacy might be the cosm that is most surprisingly different in Torg Eternity.

I mean, everyone probably figured that there wouldn't be much change to the Nile Empire, but the Living Land would have significant differences.

The Cyberpapacy had the advantage of being, I think, the most unique in oTorg. You had Victorian Horror, Lost World, Cyberpunk, Pulp Action.... and then this funky high-tech Catholic thing with musketeers and giant buildings and neon lights and werewolves and nobody really knew what to do with it. The biggest thing was how CLOSED it was … due to the old super-strong Reality Storms, and Malreaux's hand-sitting style, it was as if France had all but vanished, and if you entered the ring, you'd find the middle Paris ring inside, looking for help.

There's never been mention of superstorms cutting the Cybepapacy off this time and Malreaux, while not aggressive, isn't *passive*, and his "Fear not my child, I'm here to help" approach is just so dang cool. There's probably a good lobby effort to get him to join the Delphi Council even.

"We should let him in."
(Quinn) "Are you insane?"
"Not at all! He wants to sell us weapons, food, teach our people how to call on miracles..."
"He's an INVADER."
"So's Pella Ardinay and you begged us to let HER join!"
"That's different."
"How's it different?"
"He's a high lord."
"So was she."
"... it's DIFFERENT!"

I love seeing Malreaux portrayed as the highly-skilled, long-term High Lord that he is. (He also gets the best villain song in my head, but that's a whole other discussion. :D )

Does it go something like this?

What a friend we have in Malraux
He assures us that he cares.
Let us visit him and carry
Apricots and rotten pears.

As his speeches hit the GodNet
Catching ords within their snares
That is when he should be pelted
With those apricots and pears.
:mrgreen:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

mathey

Postby mathey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:55 am

The Cyberpapacy feels one of the most full-of-potential realms of all, but wrangling post-cyberpunk "cyberpunk" as well as all the religious satire in one place is tricky. I'd like to know about the day-to-day life of the citizens, the ways their lives intersect with the GodNet and the church - but also with one another and whatever remnants there are of pre-War culture. Part of me wants to suggest a stripped-down Children of Men approach to some of the setting, but I realize people expect/want and perhaps deserve something more like Blade Runner 2049...

Are there androids? I'm guessing not, but Hell, I've been wrong before.

Anyway, it does feel like the supernatural evil bits are showing more in this version (or I'm just noticing them more than oTorg). Is there genuine merit to the Cyberpapacy's crusade in a world with actual demons to exorcise? Or is it all for show, with The Cabal ultimately responsible for the minions of Hell running around the metroplex?

I do want to avoid the 40K approach to things where everybody in the realm is equally terrible, with some sort of gross fetishsizing of oppressive dictatorships and their lackeys. To put it another way, I hope the Cyberpapacy has cool outfits, but are clearly not Good Guys or even antiheroes.

On that note, what are the other factions at play? The Resistance is an obvious one, but are there criminal gangs and refugee enclaves and so on? I'm guessing that the absence of mega-corporations as a typical patron/foe means most of the time you're fighting the Cyberchurch, but having some off-shoots or unrelated factions to mess with would be fun.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:33 pm

How do the boroughs in Paris (some which are no go areas at night now) react to all this? I can see quite a bit of resistance from them

How are the migrants in Calais and other places dealing with this? Some have escaped war in Syria to hear that has been invaded and now France, their new home, has also been invaded.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am

How about the Channel Tunnel? It fits both Asyle (tunnel underground) and Cyberpapacy (high tech rail system) axioms so how the mixed zone has affected it should prove interesting.

Is it a way for the two sides to infiltrate each other or have they set up heavy fortifications around it, whether to stop people getting or something else getting out?...
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

lurkingowl

Postby lurkingowl » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:22 pm

I'd like some exploration of how refugee populations are being treated, and whether they've general converted to Christianity because of the Law of One True God, or if they're sort of double-marginalized hotbeds for the Resistance.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:17 pm

At tech 26 ... Crude force fields and lifting fields appear. some more on this would be good.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am

Cyber-controlling vehicles, and how characters' vehicles(which are obtained in various ways...purchased from Gear budget, owned as "home" property(with or without Wealthy), and taken as a Perk, for example) can get into the adventure(and damaged, destroyed, abandoned, caputred, replaced, recovered, and/or restored).
(Vehicle management may be in any book, but it is especially important in Cyberpapacy(or Tharkold) since cyberpunk is all about man-machine!)

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am

I'd like to know the recommended Piety Score scale. What's the average citizen's score? Are there local leader boards? National ones? What kind of extra perks does a high score bring with it? Indulgences? How difficult is it to forge a score and maintain it?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Watching a run of people guessing obscure Disney characters and Clopin, from the Hunchback of Notre Dam came up, and now I badly want to see art of someone doing street theatre of a Punch and Judy-styled show, but with teh puppets being Augmented Reality holographs.

Is this heresy?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”