equivalent of White Zone in Aysle?

Here Comes The Flood

equivalent of White Zone in Aysle?

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 am

What's the equivalent of the White Zone or Babylon in Aysle - the area that will be left to use to create and the official plot won't touch?
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

graethynne

Re: equivalent of White Zone in Aysle?

Postby graethynne » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 pm

I vaguely recall (maybe from a live-stream) that Aysle wasn't going to have an explicit White Zone. But this is a super vague 1/2 remembered fragment, so if I'm crazy, well that's not news, but if I also mistaken, I apologize.

Graethynne

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:28 am

The Shetland islands? Or Guernsey? Any of the islands around Britian would do. It would be a small white zone, but perfect for wizard towers and the like.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:20 am

graethynne wrote:I vaguely recall (maybe from a live-stream) that Aysle wasn't going to have an explicit White Zone. But this is a super vague 1/2 remembered fragment, so if I'm crazy, well that's not news, but if I also mistaken, I apologize.

Graethynne

Yeah, this is correct. I think there may be an unofficial one in north Scandinavia.

But I can say the Shetlands are in Relics of Power so aren’t a White Zone.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:12 pm

This kind of feels like a cool idea that was dropped somewhere along the way.

Nile only got an unofficial one after all.

Maybe the new cosm at the end of 'Cosms Collide'? I mean, how will it be possible to include that in the future if it retcons whatever happened in our own game?

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Here Comes The Flood wrote:This kind of feels like a cool idea that was dropped somewhere along the way.

Maybe the new cosm at the end of 'Cosms Collide'? I mean, how will it be possible to include that in the future if it retcons whatever happened in our own game?

Pretty sure that at some point Darrel did not want to commit to having "White Zones" in every cosm; IIRC he felt that would limit them unnecessarily. Personally I'm for it, I don't agree with him, it feels to me like there is plenty of territory and some should be marked off for GM development. Reminds me of Sembia in the original gray FR boxed set (which of course TSR developed later anyway, but at least it was much later). With Greg in charge maybe he has a different opinion on it and we will see them again.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Here Comes The Flood wrote:This kind of feels like a cool idea that was dropped somewhere along the way.

Pretty sure that at some point Darrel did not want to commit to having "White Zones" in every cosm; IIRC he felt that would limit them unnecessarily. Personally I'm for it, I don't agree with him, it feels to me like there is plenty of territory and some should be marked off for GM development. Reminds me of Sembia in the original gray FR boxed set (which of course TSR developed later anyway, but at least it was much later). With Greg in charge maybe he has a different opinion on it and we will see them again.

I will say I agree with you.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

The only downside to a White Zone is that this one niggling piece of the world will remain untouched in official products. What if it gets bigger> Shrinks? what do you do in year three when the Living Land is doing stuff and somebody is all, like, "And then there's that mysterious White Zone. We still don't know."

But I think it's a fair price to pay for a roped off, "We're never gonna do anything here, so, local GMs? Go wild!"

And I dig that.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:52 am

Interestingly, I recall years ago when Forgotten Realms - another setting infamous for not giving player-character agency - tried that. They actually released a sourcebook for an area (was it Sembia???) where PCs could rise to high levels and affect their immediate surroundings, without having to impact on their plot, or affect Drizzt, Elminster etc.

If I remember rightly, they then retconned that afterwards. Which would probably be the most 'Forgotten Realms' thing ever.

UPDATE- heh; I see Gargoyle already mentioned this! Glad to see my memory still works! :)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”