A credible way to kill Pella Ardinay?

Istrian

A credible way to kill Pella Ardinay?

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am

I have a villain whose ultimate goal is to kill Ardinay. I need a way for the plan to be complicated and credible lore-wise and system-wise. Obviously I am banking on some heroic Storm Knights to prevent that one way or another (though you never know)

The killing bit is simple. The hard part is to prevent her from coming back from the dead. I am trying to take into account the various ways to resurrect someone. As far as I know:
  • Resurrection miracle in the LL. This one can be prevented by keeping all of Ardinay's bits as far away from the Living Land as necessary. Of course a way to foil the plot could be a race against time to find an Optant to do the ritual.
  • Raise the Dead Light Perk. I assume Ardinay is normally surrounded by people who can do that, so the plot involves abducting her and getting her as far away from those as possible. The time-frame to do so is also very short (same Act), but it is also a good way to foil the plot if one of the PCs has the Perk. In which case the main scene becomes a race against time to get the PC to Ardinay.
  • Inevitable Return from NE. I am following the suggested house-rule that it doesn't work after using Martyr (unless used by an NE Hero within the NE) and that it transforms the hero into NE. So far the only way I can see is that the villain finds this acceptable or forcing Ardinay to martyr herself.

First question: Did I miss anything?

Based on that the villain's plan is fairly simple: abduct Ardinay from Aysle and move her to a very remote location in Orrorsh. Once there, find a way to expose her to as many horrors as possible, which would ideally either break her spirit until she kills herself (which I think would prevent the Resurrection miracle as Lanala probably doesn't care for that sort of thing) or force her to sacrifice herself to save a group of people oppressed by the horrors.

The bits that are set in stone about the villain in question is that she is an Aylish necromancer who wants to be loved by Uthorion and has convinced herself that he is in love with Ardinay. So far she is considering the Law of Inevitable Return as acceptable (love-wise) since Ardinay would not return the same. Anything else can be changed to fit the plot.

Any ideas? Glaring flaws? Hidden flaws?

Spatula

Re: A credible way to kill Pella Ardinay?

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I dunno how common the Light perk would be, given its prerequisites. Maybe Tolwyn would be exalted enough to qualify? Though I haven’t looked at her stats in Revenge. But 4 perks is a lot for a NPC, and that’s only if they’re all Light perks.

Which is to say that I don’t think it unreasonable to rule that raise dead is not so common in Asyle.

Killing her with a regular old assassination would probably work, then, but that scenario has a lot less story potential than tracking down the kidnappers and freeing her. I guess the thing to look out for in the kidnap case are divinations like scry or pathfinder, which would be fairly accessible - but are also limited by range.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:38 pm

The lack of something existing in a sourcebook is not indicative of something not existing at all.

I can easily see a Darkness Perk that could permanently kill someone. Same thing with a magic item or holy item. Or a spell.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Hmm. I always assumed there would be quite a number of ranking priests of Dunad and paragons of Light around Ardinay, either to do their duty or to curry favor in case she has a lethal accident. As I understand, she already died a couple of times: when Uthorion defeated her and threw her body off her balcony and when Tolwyn killed her to free her.

I realize there's a lot of unwritten stuff and leeway for the GM to create quick ways for permanent death, but it would feel to me (and possibly to my players) like NPCs "cheating" their way out. The GenCon 2018 adventure is a perfect example of a non-trivial work-around resurrection that is also unique and restricted in scope.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Istrian wrote:Hmm. I always assumed there would be quite a number of ranking priests of Dunad and paragons of Light around Ardinay, either to do their duty or to curry favor in case she has a lethal accident. As I understand, she already died a couple of times: when Uthorion defeated her and threw her body off her balcony and when Tolwyn killed her to free her.

I realize there's a lot of unwritten stuff and leeway for the GM to create quick ways for permanent death, but it would feel to me (and possibly to my players) like NPCs "cheating" their way out. The GenCon 2018 adventure is a perfect example of a non-trivial work-around resurrection that is also unique and restricted in scope.

The key here I think is to set the stakes...I mean, chances are the heroes will be victorious. But the Unique Magic Thingamabober is totally a trope and in setting even...can easily just be an Artifact.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Istrian wrote:First question: Did I miss anything?

She could be brought back as a mummy.

She could come back... wrong thanks to an occult ritual.

The Cyberpapacy or Tharkold might be able to "resurrect" her with Miracles/Powers into a Cyborg body, but she'd probably be an artificial construct with some of Ardinay's memories.

If you want to be really silly, she could be resurrected as an Avatar of the Nameless One, but no one would do that, right? :mrgreen:

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:
Istrian wrote:First question: Did I miss anything?

She could be brought back as a mummy.

She could come back... wrong thanks to an occult ritual.

The Cyberpapacy or Tharkold might be able to "resurrect" her with Miracles/Powers into a Cyborg body, but she'd probably be an artificial construct with some of Ardinay's memories.

If you want to be really silly, she could be resurrected as an Avatar of the Nameless One, but no one would do that, right? :mrgreen:

Those are actually great ideas... for the villain's scheme! Indeed she could have someone other than Light/Lanala/Law of Inevitable Return bring Ardinay back to life in a shape that she would find non-threatening for her twisted love.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Istrian wrote:Those are actually great ideas... for the villain's scheme! Indeed she could have someone other than Light/Lanala/Law of Inevitable Return bring Ardinay back to life in a shape that she would find non-threatening for her twisted love.

In that case, I would have the villain abduct her to an Aysle/Tharkold mixed zone (easier to get to than Orrorsh, unless she knows where a dimthread tree is that can take her there). Still plenty of horrors to expose her to--including ghuls and technodemons--the villain would still have access to Aylish magic, and she could use the Laws of Pain and Domination to help break Ardinay's spirit.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 am

TorgHacker wrote:I can easily see a Darkness Perk that could permanently kill someone. Same thing with a magic item or holy item. Or a spell.

She took the words right out of my mouth. Give the killer an artifact or a Darkness perk that prevents foes from resurrecting. Just make sure that whatever you give them has such onerously "evil" requirements (like at least five other Darkness perks, or being "charged" by murdering a newborn) that the PCs won't try to pick it up and casually use it to stop those annoying Nile Empire baddies from popping back up.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 pm

I would imagine that trapping her soul would make resurrecting her body impossible, or at least just give the miracle worker a brain-dead body or something like that.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”