Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

TorgHacker

Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Since the Cyberpapacy thread was rather...popular... ;) I figured I'd do the same for Tharkold.

Essentially I'm looking for

"I'd like to know more about X" where X is either something that already exists in Torg Eternity that we've established.

or

"I think Y would be really cool to see" where Y was something from Original Torg you found cool. Just because it was in Original Torg doesn't mean that it's going to be in Torg Eternity though, but it's good to know if there's something we haven't considered including that we really should include because lots of you liked it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

HappyDaze

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby HappyDaze » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm

What is the default language of the Tharkoldu and their human servants?

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record... I'd like to know more about life in Tharkoldu Russia. I can imagine the Blasted Land fairly well, but the rest has been described as similar to the Soviet Union. As far as I know, that means landlords don't work for the Communist Party but the Tharkoldu. The Tharkoldu have been described as secretive... but at the same time the Law of Ferocity makes them unsubtle, so I'd like to know more on how that works out, how they dominate from the shadows. That leads me to the other Dukes. We already know about Kranod, Thratchen and Volkov, but what are the others scheming (apart from Kranod's demise)?

Volkov's Russia is technically allied with the Delphi Council (I am guessing from Darrel's game), but what is Volkov's game on the international scene? Is he trying to pull Core Earth countries into attacking another realm (such as CP)?

What's the balance of power between Volkov, Thratchen and Jezrael? Why are they growing in the directions they're growing (I can imagine Thratchen wants to tap that juicy Magic Axiom in Aysle, but what about the others)? I'm guessing the DD will get a personality profile, but I'd particularly like to know its stance on that triumvirate situation.

Psychics. How much have they changed the face of the world? How common have they become in Tharkold? Is there a government/Tharkoldu stance on the issue (are they systematically killed)? More information about the Bureau of Psychic Research would be welcome too, such as a bit of their history, personalities working there, resources and facilities, and general outlook on the situation.

The Race. Who are they? What is their culture? Any kind of society or organisation?

What's going on with the Magic Axiom going down? And also with the high Social Axiom? Did the DD run out of Axiom dump stats? :P

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 pm

1. A lot of detail on the technodemon/thrall social structure. Are there different status tiers? Do they interweave in a cool way? A thrall in a leadership position proves that they're more than just a "subject race," but I'm hoping to see how the high Social axiom makes it possible for both "humans are slaves" and "humans can have power" to be true.

1a. Once that's been established, commensurate detail given to how the Russians fit in. I pull this out because I want it to feel like the "add-on" that it is -- and also to make it possible to split Day One Tharkold adventures from Year Two ones.

2. What makes occultech different from cyberware -- beyond "well, occultech runs on pain." I really want these two tech paradigms to feel totally different -- different in game mechanics, different in what options are available, and different from cool flavor stuff underlying the whole concept. Is there a supernatural component to occultech? Things it can do that cyber can't (and vice versa)?

3. I'd like to see different "classes" of psi. Just like we have different faiths for miracles and different schools for magic, I want to be able to make a few different Tharkold PCs, all 100% focused on just psi stuff, and have them able to feel as different as a necromancer does from an elementalist.

I'll probably add more later. This is the cosm book I've been wanting more than any other.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:01 pm

If Kranod had to die, why didn't the PCs take him down? Why just kill him off-stage?
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Definitely Russia/Eastern Europe as Istrian lays out. Was Kranod intending to extend into Aysle cosm to raise the magic axiom as page 250 of the core rules hints at, and is Thratchen pursuing this aim himself? Is Volkov's drive into Eastern Europe setting up a Twilight 2000

Also definitely psionics and occultech as pktty describes. The memory sifting device used by Thratchen on Dr Kendall Alec Four in the original novels is a good example of the kind of creepy device (though the doctor's reaction suggested that the device fit comfortably within Kadandran axioms and it was more a question of criminality than technology). Also occultech beyond a form of cyberware - occultech artefacts, and also occultech spells. I like the idea of psionic artefacts / technology as well, but perhaps that is being saved for Akasha. Perhaps a few spells from the Tharkold realm's past - you can see them being rediscovered in the mixed zone with Aysle.

A brief discussion of the low spiritual axiom (fitting for the existential despair of a post-apocalypse setting and the best change to Tharkold IMHO) and how Tharkoldu react when faced with those wielding spiritual power. How do Tharkoldu relate to the spiritually infused Cyberpapcy demons?

The Tharkoldu Grid or Grids and how that differs from the GodNet.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am

How is tech treated? Is it lost technology like in WH40k or early Battletech? Is it an ongoing process of research and development built on the back of sacrificed thralls? Is it a hybrid?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:14 am

I always imagine Tharkold as having unstructured cottage industries in burnt out buildings. Drones go out to get raw materials whilst UltraCAD designers create new things and 3D print them. Everything is designer and nothing is standard.

So what's is the situ6with UltraCAD?

The Grid rules in oTorg was so much easier and better to run than any other system I've seen for hacking. Will there be something similar or will the rules be in the Cyberpapacy rulebook? DSR?

Lost magic spells.

Technology orientated spells (endless bullet magazines, weapons that add fire or electricity damage, radiation resistance spell, pain spells?)

OccultTech - what depravity makes it different to or more powerful than cyberware?

Nukes... Russia has then, why are they using them?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 am

I'm really hoping Mutants get their own Perks!

In Original Torg, they had extra Attribute points similar to the Super Attribute. I was just hoping we could expand on that more.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am

Kanaris wrote:I like the idea of psionic artefacts / technology as well, but perhaps that is being saved for Akasha.

One thing that I liked about how GURPS/4e handled psi is that it was the only "superpower" that interacted directly with technology -- as in, there were "psychotronic" devices (that any engineer with the blueprint could make) which could enhance, suppress, counter, channel, etc., psionic power. That's very true to psi's origins in science-fiction stories. So that could be yet another way to make psi feel different from magic and miracles.

Zackzenobi wrote:I'm really hoping Mutants get their own Perks!

Oh yeah, that was supposed to be on my list but I forgot while writing it! Please go into mutants in some way. Maybe even an expanded mutant/mutations PDF as a stretch goal?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”