Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Yoric

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby Yoric » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:I'm not sure if they can be promoted to the true Demonhood, and there can be a chance that their "promotion" is actually an illithid-esque body snatching predatory parasitism.

I dig it!

Although it's a bit of a repeat for Horrors. I assume that the one of the difficulties here will be to give Tharkold a very distinct personality. Just as Pan-Pacifica and the Cyberpapacy both risk being too cyberpunk, both Nile Empire and Living Land risk having the same kind of pulp adventures, etc.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Yoric wrote:
QuarrelBlue wrote:I'm not sure if they can be promoted to the true Demonhood, and there can be a chance that their "promotion" is actually an illithid-esque body snatching predatory parasitism.

I dig it!

Although it's a bit of a repeat for Horrors. I assume that the one of the difficulties here will be to give Tharkold a very distinct personality. Just as Pan-Pacifica and the Cyberpapacy both risk being too cyberpunk, both Nile Empire and Living Land risk having the same kind of pulp adventures, etc.

IMHO. I think Cyberpapacy is more post-cyberpunk in relation to tech (forcefields!) and more into sci-fi, whilst Tharkold tech fits perfectly in that realm, but socially they are also post-cyberpunk (apocalypse much!!). PP doesn't have cyberware, so they fit more into superspy/resident evil level but do have corporations taking over the world which is very cyberpunk. So, TBH, there doesn't seem to be any true cyberpunk realm, which I'm cool with as the concept of cyberpunk has been spread across 3 very cool cosms.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Maybe Race Resistance can enjoy benefit from it, like dispersed cells coordinated with secret signals flowing among the society(which won't be delivered effectively under Core Earth Axiom, at least without risk of being noticed and squashed) and launching massive synchronized joint strike.
(Such secret communications may look almost telepathic to lower-Axiom observers, and that can be actually related to the fact that Telepathy is a Social "Tool".)

That's a nice concept.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:41 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:IMHO. I think Cyberpapacy is more post-cyberpunk in relation to tech (forcefields!) and more into sci-fi, whilst Tharkold tech fits perfectly in that realm, but socially they are also post-cyberpunk (apocalypse much!!). PP doesn't have cyberware, so they fit more into superspy/resident evil level but do have corporations taking over the world which is very cyberpunk. So, TBH, there doesn't seem to be any true cyberpunk realm, which I'm cool with as the concept of cyberpunk has been spread across 3 very cool cosms.

Just to clarify: I just mean that the authors of T:E and the various Sourcebooks have to work hard to keep these realms clearly distinct. So far, they seem to have managed nicely to differentiate between the Living Land and the Nile Empire (to be confirmed, I haven't played in Nile Empire yet) despite the fact that they're both largely based on pulp movies and comics and the fact that they are both ruled by brutal and cunning rulers at the head of overwhelming armies. There's the same risk for Tharkold vs the Cyberpapacy vs Pan-Pacifica, as they all gravitate around Cyberpunk. There's also the same risk for Tharkold vs Orrorsh vs some parts of Aysle, as they all gravitate around Horror and Dark Magics.

I agree with you that the Cyberpapacy seems to be more post-cyberpunk, not just in terms of technology but also in terms of semi-utopian society. I'm looking forward to playing early-cyberpunk with Pan-Pacifica (which itself runs the risk of being too close to Shadowrun, but let's keep that discussion for later).

So, I'm looking forward to see how the authors manage to avoid ending up with a Tharkold that would be a mix of Orrorsh, Cyberpapacy and Aysle :)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Yoric wrote:So, I'm looking forward to see how the authors manage to avoid ending up with a Tharkold that would be a mix of Orrorsh, Cyberpapacy and Aysle :)

I'm hoping they don't go down the game show route and they keep it more post apocalyptic gothic techno horror.

I know this doesn't fit easily with the social axiom, but any repressed 'perfect society' would be pretty horrifying with little or no creativity, thought police, benign demonic overlords and the full knowledge that you are just (willing) cattle to serve the greater good. With demon worship and dark magic rituals to enable and help the demons on there conquest, mating rituals and feeding hunts that can be quite horrible... and I think Tharkold is all about that kind of horror, kind of like the game Paranoia without the humour and more crunching of bone.
Question everything.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:38 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Yoric wrote:I know this doesn't fit easily with the social axiom, but any repressed 'perfect society' would be pretty horrifying with little or no creativity, thought police, benign demonic overlords and the full knowledge that you are just (willing) cattle to serve the greater good. With demon worship and dark magic rituals to enable and help the demons on there conquest, mating rituals and feeding hunts that can be quite horrible... and I think Tharkold is all about that kind of horror, kind of like the game Paranoia without the humour and more crunching of bone.

That sounds lovely!

Doesn't seem to match the concept of thralls, though, right?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:48 am

Yoric wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Yoric wrote:I know this doesn't fit easily with the social axiom, but any repressed 'perfect society' would be pretty horrifying with little or no creativity, thought police, benign demonic overlords and the full knowledge that you are just (willing) cattle to serve the greater good. With demon worship and dark magic rituals to enable and help the demons on there conquest, mating rituals and feeding hunts that can be quite horrible... and I think Tharkold is all about that kind of horror, kind of like the game Paranoia without the humour and more crunching of bone.

That sounds lovely!

Doesn't seem to match the concept of thralls, though, right?

What are the general population except for thralls being docile and waiting to be eaten.
Question everything.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:28 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I'm hoping they don't go down the game show route and they keep it more post apocalyptic gothic techno horror.

I brought this up at the backers game. I am fairly certain that the game show adventure idea is going to be side thing at most, not a central feature. I've repeatedly brought it up as something I'd like to see because I think it makes for a fun adventure now and then, but even I don't think it should be central to the setting either.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:40 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:What are the general population except for thralls being docile and waiting to be eaten.

Sorry, I meant thralls with slave collars.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:09 pm

With Tharkold you also have to remember Russia has an actual alliance with the Darkness Device. Even with Kranod's death, Volkov is one of 3 potential High Lords vying for Malgest. He is not going to just go down the "everything's post-apocalyptic gothic techno horror" route. He needs his millions of citizens backing him (even if opposition gets "disappeared").

And Russia (even just the Tharkold part) is big. There's the Blasted Land, which is more along with Road-Warrior/Mad Max theme. And there is also now a large stelae bounded area (both in and out of the Blasted Land). There's a lot of geography. Very populated cities with large wilderness between them. There should be a very different feel to rural vs. urban.

The game shows don't have to be cheesy like Running Man or Death Race. And they might have a purpose more than just entertainment. But yes, I see them more as a small part of the realm, not the whole thing.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”