Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:28 am

Yoric wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I'm currently listening to Mindstar Rising by Peter F Hamilton... the world is exactly what I expect Tharkold to be like... except without demons.

I've read the book and I don't quite see it. Technology is basically contemporary (maybe a bit more fuel-efficient?), there are a few psi-active soldiers, but their role is pretty minor, there's no magic, I don't remember much in the way of slavery, ...

Am I missing something?

Not really. Agreed, no magic or faith.

But the feel of a retro ad-hoc tech society with bits of high tech, that scavenges for what it needs is what I meant. oTorg Tharkold was very much like that and the Mad Max vibe of TorgE made me feel they were very much alike.

The idea of a Psychic enhancing brain gland is something new, but I'm sure that the humans would have developed something like this... or PP are.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

mathey

Postby mathey » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:12 pm

I am probably repeating myself, but I'm curious about the non-blasted parts of the cosm. It can't be entirely divorced from the Fury Road postapocalypse mayhem, but as it's mostly intact and under the rule of demons and their lackeys, it feels like it'd be a more political and urban setting.

My chief point of reference for Tharkold is maybe stuck in oTharkold's fascination with 90s James Cameron's aesthetic and Hellraiser, but I do wonder how the new aesthetic translates to 21st century Russia and bits of Eastern Europe.

Are the towers of the Dukes glossy high rises steeped in future tech or are they Geiger-style biomechanical nightmare spires? Are there gross occultech body horror things on every street corner?

What is life like for the different strata of thralls and civilians in each Dukedom? Is it all dreary gray brutalism and peasants in explosive slave collars, or is there a shiny wrapper around the despotism and devil-worship?

Do middle managers exist in Tharkold? Are they just thuggish slavemasters who keep getting usurped or sad sack clerical types trapped in Kafka+esque jobs?

And, while I know we want to be careful about real world geopolitical scenarios, it seems clear to me that Volkov is composed of bits of modern and old Russian strongmen. Have the Ultra Nationalism and Pan Slavic movements gotten subsumed by the new masters or are they now co-opted as a way for gaining new dupes and minions?
Last edited by mathey on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:43 pm

It's been said many times before, but the axioms are the high tide mark of a cosm. So even though Tharkold have a high social axiom it doesn't mean they profit from it. The demons probably are stuck in a lower social axiom because of their master/slave mentality, were as the non subsumed humans live under a higher axiom. So this doesn't mean the cosm inhabitants live under those maximum axioms. Probably some isolated communities do live under the maximum in hidden temples or retreats and teach psionic powers to those initiates.

So what does mean for the authentic of the cosm... it can be anything, but I would go with the Geiger look in the Tharkold cities and blasted lands outside between the city states.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:40 pm

So I just read Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic and watched Tarkovsky's film adaptation, Stalker. I'm wondering if any of the stuff in there might turn up in Tharkold? The adaptation's different from the novel, but both involve a region of the earth that's been turned into an area where reality's just … different. Some people, called Stalkers, venture into the strangeness in order to recover some of the alien items within or to guide others seeking something — notably legends of a power that can grant one's deepest wish.

Per Wikipedia:

"The term "stalker" became a part of the Russian language and, according to the authors, became the most popular of their neologisms. In the context of the book, a stalker is a person who breaks the prohibitions, enters the Zone and takes out various artifacts from it, which he then usually sells and thereby earns a living. In Russian, after Tarkovsky's film, this term acquired the meaning of a guide who navigates in various forbidden and uncharted territories; later on, fans of industrial tourism, especially those visiting abandoned sites and ghost towns, were also called stalkers."

All sounds very Torg and very Tharkold.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:53 pm

I, for one, would be very surprised if that wasn't already one of the inspirations behind the Blasted Lands. In my Reality Choir, I certainly haven't waited for the Tharkold supplement to add rumors of a Golden Orb :)
Last edited by Yoric on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 pm

mathey wrote:I am probably repeating myself, but I'm curious about the non-blasted parts of the cosm. It can't be entirely divorced from the Fury Road postapocalypse mayhem, but as it's mostly intact and under the rule of demons and their lackeys, it feels like it'd be a more political and urban setting.

Agreed. And since we already have the Cyberpapacy and the Nile Empire, two Cosms that are very happy to put checkpoints everywhere, I can only imagine that it will be something different :)

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:54 pm

The video game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was also inspired by Roadside Picnic and borrows heavily from it.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”