Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Count Thalim

Re: Things you'd like to know about Tharkold

Postby Count Thalim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 am

Matthew Surridge wrote:Sure. I mean, that sort of stuff I can figure out myself. But transmission of viruses, what information can be scraped, who can attack whom and how, can Kanawa attack Core Earth with stuff within our axiom that we haven't figured out (as Core Earth does with the Nile), all that kind of thing, I'd love to see at least a nod to that in the official rules.

There seems to be two issues here and your earlier post.

First a data packet, encrypted under CE tech axioms, take a passage that goes via a server based in the CP. Can the CP break the encryption using their super-fancy quantum entangled trinary position processors? If they then re-encrypt the data packet so it appears to be untampered with and send it on its way is it now a higher tech data packet and so could have issues when it hits the end user in Germany?

Second can Kanawa pull some hardware and software off the shelf that is considered obsolete to them, but is equivalent to CE cutting edge research lab kit to us, and hand it to their undercover operatives in Sydney?

For the first I reckon the CP could easily do the cracking, all under their axioms after all. The re-encrypted data packet... That I think could have some issues. Though fundamentally it runs on rule of cool.

The second I see no difference between this and Israel threatening Mobius with their Nuke stockpile. Just because the reality isn't using it, doesn't mean it can't work. It is literally stated that the CP only uses one element of it's Social Axiom but the other uses would work there.
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am

mathey wrote:I imagine high Tech Axiom networks could at least try to connect to lower Tech Axiom networks, and they'd pick up some raw code and convert it to some simple format that looks downright primitive by their standards. Its a bit like what it'd feel like for a modern user checking the text logs of a VAX terminal or something - comprehensible but positively Stone Age and peculiar. Grid-veterans would find it quaint and clumsy, and maybe a bit refreshingly less horrific and scream-laden?

I imagine emulators will be extremely useful. But as someone who has dabbled in software development over the years, I can only imagine what a nightmare this kind of thing is. So let’s say you’re a Pan Pacifica programmer and you have some code from a “primitive” Core Earth program, and you’re trying to write an emulator to make it work in whatever fancy operating system is popular in PP. It’s probably the equivalent of trying to run a Windows 98 program in Windows 10; doable but it takes some work. You’re making good progress then suddenly the code changes because your cosm is altering the non-native code to match your current tech axiom. Freaking Axiom Wash! Writing code and debugging is enough of a pain in the rear already, but now the code is changing on you as you work on it.

I wonder if you’d need to set up programming centers in mixed zones to write the software? The whole concept is fascinating to me. :D

That just gave me an idea... I wonder if special telecom trunks can be set up in mixed zones specifically for the purpose of allowing data and communication to travel between cosms. You have special routers designed to change protocols from one axiom to another. Basically they are Reality Gateways. Cyberpapacy data goes in, the router translates to, say, Tharkold code in a mixed zone, then transmits that data into Tharkold. It would need a whole new kind of internet system. And the OSI model would need new layers too...
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 am

And meanwhile your boss is looming over your shoulder, wondering why it isn't done yet.

And you're trying to explain that it's frickin' hard to try and code modern HTML language using only FORTRAN but they just want results because money is going OUT but no money is coming IN and quarterly reports are looming, dammit!

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Somehow, I now envision Kanawa operatives being sent on missions into Core Earth to retrieve as many copies of C++ for Dummies as they can find. Or demanding they raid the ruins of Seattle in hopes of finding the original source code for Windows 10.

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:48 pm

And my wife just coined the term 'Tharkkode.'

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 am

cloudshaper2k wrote:And my wife just coined the term 'Tharkkode.'

*STAMP!*
VALIDATED!

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 am

Will there be a thunder dome?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:36 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Will there be a thunder dome?

I think the very existence of Tharkoldu cuisine means that's a yes.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:25 pm

cloudshaper2k wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Will there be a thunder dome?

I think the very existence of Tharkoldu cuisine means that's a yes.

If there is a thunder dome, so fight clubs, so fighting stables that a Tharkoldu would maintain kind of like medieval Rome. How does that effect society? Would people look at this as a way out of the gutter and onto bigger things? Are there human maintained fighting stables (kind of like a traitor to humans who keep and maintain slaves for the enjoyment of the Tharkoldu).

Would powers be allowed during fights? Do exotic fighting that the Tharkoldu would watch behind barriers incase the wild humans got above their station?

Are the human heroes who have finished the fighting circuit and are now free?

This whole proposition breaks down in a social 25 cosm of course.
Question everything.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am

I've just worked out what the 'batteries' in The Matrix are, they are basically Tharkoldu devices for ripping possibility energy from Humans to keep Tharkoldu alive. They aren't taking the electricity from human bodies as the film says, but possibility energy instead. That's the nature of Tharkold reality!
Question everything.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”