Re: Things you'd like to know about Pan-Pacifica

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Mortal Kombat
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Some of the pulp powers seem like they are perfect for PP, Uncanny Dodge, some of the super senses, deflect, will we see some cross over?

Love to know a lot more about Psionics, it has the fewest powers/spells/miracles yet takes 3 different attributes, vrs 2 or 1. How do you plan to balance this?

mathey

Postby mathey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:16 am

I'd like to know more about what makes Pan-Pacifica unique beyond the grab bag of mutants, electric samurai, and inter dimensional zaibatsus.

How does the Law of Intrigue affect Storm Knight missions in the reality? In a world where betrayal is baked into almost any kind of interaction, how much head way can anybody make? Clearly Kanawa has got an advantage here as they set a lot of the rules through their proxies, but even they could theoretically have massive leaks, double-agents, and unexpected twists to their careful plotting. Does the Delphi Council have an ally in PP like the Renraku Block in oTorg, or are they relying only on scattered and sometimes uncertain alliances with small cells from all over the length of Asia? What kind of turn over is there for Delphi agents in PP - do they lose people constantly to assassinations, blackmail, and double-crosses?

The Law of Tenacity implies that many of the heroic individuals of the world are police and detectives - but are there other walks of life or backgrounds that produce stubborn men and women of action? If we're riffing on the cinematic history of Japanese Yakuza films, Hong Kong blood operas, and more contemporary offshoots like Korean crime thrillers, there's obviously room for honor-bound mob enforcers and conflicted undercover cops - but there's also probably some mid-level managers, corporate accountants, school teachers from remote provinces, and assorted tough civilians out there who try to push back against the oppression and corruption. The setting feels darker in general than oTorg if only because it mirrors a lot of real world political developments - but I want to know how Tenacity provides little spots of light and justice amid all the ruthless exploitation of the masses.

The Law of Vengeance states that betrayal is socially acceptable. That's pretty wild, but perhaps understandable in a world that values self-advancement and manipulation as admirable traits (i.e. corporate culture). Is there an accepted Marketplace code of ethics or set of laws that helps guide people (i.e. Player Characters and GMs) in this worldview? What's a "reasonable" response to losing a promotion to a cold-blooded co-worker? Is there a complex system of debt and obligation backing this up, or do each of the varied subcultures and countries operating under the reality adopt their own distinct understandings? You can see a sort of twisted version of Confucian notions of filial piety or simple corporate ethics developing to accept the idea that Revenge Is Good. Like the literal currency of the John Wick universe mixed with 21st century work ethos and Asian familial obligation...or something else entirely?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:31 am

I'm interested in more development on Social Perks, particularly the Wealthy tree - PP and CP are definitely the two Cosms where that applies most. I don't really see it coming back in Eternity, but one thing I really loved in oTorg was the actual rules for combating Kanawa in the stock market -- among other things, it was just super cool to see an RPG address solutions beyond punching people in the face. In the hopes that some flattery will inspire you to achieve great things ( :lol: ), I must say I did not see how Arcane Knowledges could be meaningfully preserved in a way that would make us oTorgians happy while not messing up Eternity's simple balance, and... that was done brilliantly.

Otherwise, just to second that yes, very much, while Electric Samurai are going to be cool (right? You promised. :P )... well, frankly - and I know we're already kind of painted into this corner, but it's a little tiresome that the SE Asia book is 1) usually just Japan, and 2) basically the martial-arts supplement. By drawing it out to "Pan-Pacifica", you can totally break away from the first part, at least. At least in the first 90 days, you've only incorporated Japan, China, and Korea (and Taiwan.. *ahem*), but even just that offers us a lot more, culturally, than the bog-standard "ninja and samurai" tropes. Not to say I don't want to see them... but it would be cool to, well, de-emphasize them a little. They were a lot more exciting back in the '90s, before they'd been covered a thousand times. Frankly, Japan has so much more to offer.

And whether they've been, ah, incorporated or not ( ;) ) as we reach Year One, I'd definitely like some idea what's going on in Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Mongolia.

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:What about the terracotta warriors? Have they come to life to defend the emperor?

I also want to know about some cool thing with the terracotta warriors. Maybe some of the mysterious/mystical hard-points are somehow "fighting back" against the low magic, low spirit axioms of the invaders.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am

Sword of Spirit wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:What about the terracotta warriors? Have they come to life to defend the emperor?

I also want to know about some cool thing with the terracotta warriors. Maybe some of the mysterious/mystical hard-points are somehow "fighting back" against the low magic, low spirit axioms of the invaders.

At first I was going to suggest an "Ancient China" stye cosm, but then I went, "Know what? Just have Aysle drop a bridge around, say, Chengdu, then quickly spread over western China, Mongolia, and be threatening to dip into Tibet. Uthroian takes the move on the grounds that other High Lords have blocked him in Europe, so he deserves recompensation, and since China has so many people, it isn't fair for PP to snag it all... let him snivel about it and have the Gaunt Man allow it … or at least not stop it.

This goes ahead and gets the right tech axiom ("dragonpowder" rockets, steel swords and speartipes), a solid Spiritual, PLENTY of magic for high Quxia action, and the social's just right for an "undying Emperor" and a court of bureaucrats. As a bonus, since Nippon Tech was the jerk who started moving in on someone else's territory in oTorg, having them be the victim this time around's got a nice sense of justice.

And Pan-Pacifica understands justice and feuds. :D

(And, yes, Xi'an would make a far better starter point than Chingdu, since that's where the warriors *are*, but that's a mixed zone according to the PP map and there's a Bridge there, so probably already slated as a major Thing for the PP book. Then again, if you have Uthorian drop a bridge into the SAME mixed zone, things could get … unpredictable.)

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 pm

A lot of what I'd kick in has already been said:
--martial arts with weapons, and maybe 'styles' (though I'm not sure how you could do the latter as more than mere perk labels without getting grittier than TorgE ought to be - but I'm not a game designer, that's your job, ha!)
--some development of the different spiritual traditions. PP has a pretty low Spirit, so it might be problematic, but even if it's little more than miracle lists and flavor text...
--of course, psionics. My impression is that PP psionics would have more to do with boosting oneself and doing wire-fu than mind control or zapping people
--ninjas and Chinese knights (or, as the Victorians might call them, "boxers"); who/what are they. capabilities and roles in society
--netrunning. PP is the most straightforward 'cyberpunk' cosm, without the mystical oddities inherent in CP or Tharkhold. Some way to have a hacker 'running' alongside a team on the street, complete with 'black IC' alarms, etc.
--speaking as a player of Shadowrun a couple of editions ago, maybe rigger-type drones? Whether gear or a variation on Companions, the ability to remote-tool-use could be a fun addition
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:50 pm

OldCoot wrote:--of course, psionics. My impression is that PP psionics would have more to do with boosting oneself and doing wire-fu than mind control or zapping people

Know what would be cool? If PP psi had more of a taoist "feel." Taoism teaches that balancing ones yin and yang via "neidan" (internal alchemy) can grant amazing power and even immortality -- so if there was at least one psionic "class" that focused on that, it would be a nifty take that showed how faith and religion are more of a social force in PP than a miraculous one.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

mathey

Postby mathey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:31 am

While I don't know if I want a complex mini-game about corporate buyouts in Pan-Pacifica material, some sort of guidance on using the tools of the hypercapitalists against them to fight Kanawa would be cool.

On a related note, I'm planning to run a Night's Black Agents campaign soon, and I always think the Conspyramid is a great way to provide structure to an enemy organization while also letting the players pick how they want to dismantle it. It's essentially just a pyramid flowchart showing the lower ranks of a conspiracy and their connections up the chain of command to the Big Boss Bad Guy at the tiptop. It also can provide tips or ideas for the GM on how the conspiracy responds to the PCs taking out their lackeys - attempts to buy them off, attacks on friends and contacts, turning the police against them, etc.

Viewing Pan Pacifica's genre as "Corporate Survival Horror Conspiracy Thriller", and seeing that Kanawa is just one of many bad guy corporations sprouting up in the realm, it could be fun to have a version of this kind of gameplay in the setting: Storm Knights and local good guy agents identifying the lowest rung of a particular corporation, taking them out, then learning some connections to other nodes on the flowchart, working their way upward to take down the corporation - all while the corporation and its rivals try to counter-attack or manipulate the situation...

I'll grant you it could be stated more simply and illustrated better, but I think you get the idea.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Ninja. Lots of options. Multiple Ninja Clans. Makes it easier to complicate the plot.

Spy Orgs. Rauru Block. Third party mercenary spy orgs. Law of Intrigue and Social Axiom make these a common trope.

Psionic tech devices. Tech level says they are possible. Law of Profit would make it happen.

Organized crime. Yakuza. Triad. Kkangpae. Chao Pho.
I love gangsters!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”